with AFT eating

catfishrod69

ok i have had my fat tail for atleast 4 months now, and she has ate two crickets that i know of in this time........whenever i feed my leos they go nuts on the crickets, roaches, mealworms...but she just doesnt really care....i even tried putting her in a bare tub with some mealworms for a few minutes, and she didnt pay any attention....both times she ate was when i hand fed her....i tried hand feeding her tonight and she just looked away....she hasnt lost any weight at all...her body and tail are in great shape....shes very calm and docile....only hisses when i spray her moist hide while shes still in it....her heat is good. moist hide on cold side, another hide over under tank heater, water dish, she mainly is always in her moist hide....i actually took it out for the night to see if she would spend some time in her warm hide and maybe that would up her need for food...but any ideas?

Bloody Holly

I tried to hand feed my AFT a cricket too and he didn't even look interested in it. Try leaving the food in the enclosure without removing any of the hides. That's what has been working for me.

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
I know you said your temps are fine, but what are they? Maybe if she likes the humid hide so much, and it's on the cool side, she's staying too cool to feel hungry? Have you been cleaning up poop in those 4 months? Did you try to move the humid hide the the middle or maybe the warm side?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Lots of my geckos aren't eating much right now. My leopard gecko male has had about 2 superworms in the last 2 months and still weighs 112 gr. If you fat tail is a good size (over 40 grams) it may just not need to eat at this time of year. If it's a juvenile, it probably should eat. At the moment I have a young male and female (about 8 months each) housed together. The male is reluctant to eat and his weight has been holding steady at 28 grams. The female will eat anything at any time of day and is up to 45 grams (this eating pattern has not changed from when they were in separate enclosures).

Aliza

catfishrod69

off the top of my head im thinking that i keep her close to my leo temps around 95, but i think she might be close to 90 on hot side...ive seen her out of the humid hide like 2 times....but i have no clue what she does while im sleeping....when i get her out of her humid hide, she feels too cold...and i hate her staying in it so much..yep cleaning regularly, no i havent tried moving the humid hide...i was just told as long as she and her tail are fat she will eat when she wants...i have tried crickets, dubia, and mealworms...i mean she doesnt seem to be losing any weight, so maybe i shouldnt worry just yet, or maby i should take out her paper towel and use straight glass for a short time, and count the food as i put them in and then see if any have dissapeared....i dunno

I know you said your temps are fine, but what are they? Maybe if she likes the humid hide so much, and it's on the cool side, she's staying too cool to feel hungry? Have you been cleaning up poop in those 4 months? Did you try to move the humid hide the the middle or maybe the warm side?

catfishrod69

i got her, two leos, and a tokay at the same time...the leos and tokay eat like mad....but not her....i dont have a clue wheight wize, but she looks just as fat as when i got her...shes full grown, about 7-8 inch.....

Lots of my geckos aren't eating much right now. My leopard gecko male has had about 2 superworms in the last 2 months and still weighs 112 gr. If you fat tail is a good size (over 40 grams) it may just not need to eat at this time of year. If it's a juvenile, it probably should eat. At the moment I have a young male and female (about 8 months each) housed together. The male is reluctant to eat and his weight has been holding steady at 28 grams. The female will eat anything at any time of day and is up to 45 grams (this eating pattern has not changed from when they were in separate enclosures).

Aliza

Visit our friends