With d3 or without d3?!

leopard love

So I have been looking everywhere ! And some people say with d3 to dust their food and that I need to also get without d3 to have in there cage all the time. Which one can I get that I can dust their food with and still keep a little of it in there cage at all times? Please help and explain thank you. And I know Rep-Cal is the best, I heard

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Here's my take on it (with explanations):
The geckos need calcium and they need D3 to metabolize (help them use) the calcium. However, leopard geckos being nocturnal don't need that much D3 and so can overdose on it if they get too much. I have also heard that leopard geckos can get too much calcium as well, but I haven't seen any studies about this.
I have used the following 2 methods in my supplementation, both of which have worked:
--keep a small amount of calcium without D3 in the tank. Dust the feeders alternately with calcium with D3 (I use rep-cal ) and vitamins (I use rep cal herptivite)
--dust feeders at every feeding with Repashy calcium plus which has the calcium, vitamin D3 and other vitamins/minerals all-in-one and don't keep calcium in the cage.

The second thing is what I've been doing since about 2009 and have had successful breeding since then (as I was before, when I used the first method).

Aliza

Andyrc

It seems like many different people use different methods when using supplements for their leos. I think the general consensus is that you are to dust with calcium + D3 about once a week, and multivitamins + D3 once a week as well. All other feedings besides these two should be just with plain calcium, no D3. The main reason for this is because it can be harmful if you over-supplement your animal, and that goes with any vitamin, not just D3. It's really up to you what days you choose to suppliment, I use Calcium + D3 on Fridays and multivitamins + D3 on Sundays. And every other day of the week I just use calcium. It's also important you leave a small bowl in the cage with just plain calcium.

leopard love

Well I got the repashy all in one :) hahaha how often should I dust the mealworms? And how often should he eat

tb144050

Well I got the repashy all in one :) hahaha how often should I dust the mealworms? And how often should he eat

The dusting schedule has already been answered in a reply above. With mealworms, you can choose to leave some in a bowl anytime or you can feed juvies "what they can eat in 15minutes"...you can choose to do this twice a day if you want. As they get older, you will see them eat less and less, so you adjust feeding frequency/quantity to match their appetite when they are adults. As for "HOW to dust mealworms", I don't have much advice. I have always used crickets because it's more entertaining, and when I TRIED to dust mealsworms (once) the dust didn't stick to them well.

Andyrc

Mealworms are a bit more challenging to dust just because of their smooth outer shells. What I do is I put the mealworms in a small plastic cup, or a plastic bag filled with air, and I throw in the powder as well and shake it up. After a few good shakes the powder should be nice and stuck to the mealworms. You should be dusting them at every single feeding. How often you feed them usually depends on the age and weight of the gecko. Juveniles will more than likely have a larger appetite than adults and should be fed at least once a day. Once they have grown, as was mentioned above, they'll usually begin to eat less and less. In that case you can probably start feeding your adults once every other day. If you choose to leave mealworms in a bowl, I would leave a small layer of calcium powder (No D3) in the bowl as well so the mealworms stay dusted.

Last edited:

leopard love

Well I have a few more questions I asked in the feeding section if u guys can help that would be great :) thank u for all ur advices

Visit our friends