worried about froto....

S

sportbike_rob

well, froto's poo has been very dry, some days it isnt bad and others its more like a powder than a liquid (white part). i called a bunch of vets in my area and none of them do anything for reptiles, one told me he believes that it is normal, but wont do anything for me. so im kind of stuck and need advice:

he hasnt moved alot lately, he is always in one of his hides even at night when he is usually out and about more. he hasnt touched his crix or mealies in days, i give a water dish for him, but usually i just mist the cage and he licks the water off the glass. it cant be the water supply, b/c we have a reverse osmosis filter and i only use the filtered water for misting. i've been very steril in cleaning everything. for the aquarium itself i scrub with a 1/10 bleach solution and rinse for five minutes strait. i usually boil his hides and change the substrate every two weeks. his temps are consistant at 92 on his warm spot and 77 in the cool spot.

all SHOULD be good however, he goes through spells where he will eat a little, and not eat for days, then eat a little more and again not eat for days. and laying in one spot for two days, it has me worried. and i cant find a vet that will work with reptiles:(

S

sportbike_rob

okay, i thought the dry poop might be some reasoning to him not wanting to eat very much. now if i can just get him to eat.

S

sportbike_rob

i found something quite interesting about froto. i had him out and let him "Explore" around my bed for a while. while i did some regular cleaning and dusted a few crix and placed them in his cage. i then placed him back in his cage. and now he is going bonkers doing staredown's with the crix and licking his lips and popping out of his hide at them (funny to watch) . he still hasnt chased or cought any, but since i left the room im sure he will. i think i gotta let him out to "explore" more, let him walk around outside his cage every night. its almost like he gets bored in there and gets depressed and wont eat or move lol. but when i get him out and let him roam around for a while, he turns into a whole 'nother' cecko, and is acting like a fat tail should.

PrototypeGeckos

sportbike_rob said:
i found something quite interesting about froto. i had him out and let him "Explore" around my bed for a while. while i did some regular cleaning and dusted a few crix and placed them in his cage. i then placed him back in his cage. and now he is going bonkers doing staredown's with the crix and licking his lips and popping out of his hide at them (funny to watch) . he still hasnt chased or cought any, but since i left the room im sure he will. i think i gotta let him out to "explore" more, let him walk around outside his cage every night. its almost like he gets bored in there and gets depressed and wont eat or move lol. but when i get him out and let him roam around for a while, he turns into a whole 'nother' cecko, and is acting like a fat tail should.

I imagine that is probably the case, even though the tank is plenty big enough, I guess the change of pace gets him more active.

S

sportbike_rob

Leggomygecko said:
I imagine that is probably the case, even though the tank is plenty big enough, I guess the change of pace gets him more active.

thats what im thinking.....he hasnt ate in a while tho, he was jumping at the crix last night but never ate one, he killed a few, but didnt actually consume any......weird.......

EDIT: lol, walked in and cought him in the act! he was running all over his cage chasin crix, and he ate quite a few. he is still eating them as i speak.....i had him out again for a little, put him back in his cage, walked out of the room, and an hour later he is munching down.....he just needs that change of pace, and to go exploring around outside his enclosure for a while. thats when he starts eating and being more active.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sportbike_rob

Stitch said:
I'm glad to hear he's eating better for you, but you seriously have one odd gecko on your hands! :main_laugh:

lol, i know he is a weird one, i'll give him that....gotta love the guy tho:D ........its a petstore gecko.....that might have something to do with it :main_laugh:

Visit our friends