would a light bulb heating source harm a leopard gecko in any way?

greengecko

Would a hot light bulb above half my leopard gecko tank (don't actualy have the animal yet) for heating harm my gecko gecko in any way? I've heard a under tank heating pad is recomended but I don't know why. Also is a uv balb necessary, if not will it harm the lizard?

TranceZ

Heat pad is recommended because leopard geckos get their heat from their bellys hence the reason for needing belly heat. So, a heat lamp doesn't do much good for leos. And no you don't need any uv or lighting for these because they are nocturnal.

Dimidiata

To add to that certain morphs and young geckos(we are talking leos) will not like a strong overhead light, albinos as you can imagine may get burnt and babies have more sensitive skin. Then theres the fact that bright lights seem to bother certain geckos just in general. So no, they arnt necessary, a heat mat for their tank is standard for heating.

Josh P.

Overhead incandescent bulbs may be ok as supplemental heat in winter though, when heating mats don't produce enough heat to maintain ideal temperature gradients.

greengecko

Heat pad is recommended because leopard geckos get their heat from their bellys hence the reason for needing belly heat. So, a heat lamp doesn't do much good for leos. And no you don't need any uv or lighting for these because they are nocturnal.

how much is a heating pad and will i find one at pet co or pet smart? and will a uv light harm the lizard because i plan to use one for the porpose of growing plants? thanks

TranceZ

how much is a heating pad and will i find one at pet co or pet smart? and will a uv light harm the lizard because i plan to use one for the porpose of growing plants? thanks

You should be able to find heat mats at Petco or Petsmart. It depends on size. If I could remember right, they range around $10-$30. Make sure you buy one that will be about 1/3 in size of your cage. UV light won't hurt the animal...no. They simply just don't need lighting. They are nocturnal and bright lights might just be annoying to them in way.

jeanty

it will harm the lizard:)

Visit our friends