Yolk Still Attached

Fencer04

Long Island Geckos
I know that babies can be born with the Yolk still attached but I have never had this happen before. Both my first to hatchlings (different clutches about 3 weeks apart) have had the sack still attached. The first one was just a little but the latest one seems like the whole thing. Both were small and a little lethargic. The first one passed soon after its first shed so I'm am concerned about this one. The first one hatched on the 46th day and this one on the 45th while incubating at 84 degrees. I usually have them out by the 40th day so I'm starting to get a little concerned.

I have left the latest hatchling in the incubator to absorb the rest of the yolk. it is definitely still alive but really moving. Any thoughts or recommendations on this would be appreciated. Do you think I'm doing anything wrong? Should I not be worried? Thanks in advance.

TranceZ

I'd double check your temps to make sure they are accurate. The only thing you could do is keep that hatchling hydrated. Keep the heat and humidity up in it's tub.

What substrate are you using for incubation? What's your water to medium ratio?

RampantReptiles

I usually put the geckos into their own deli cup in the male incubator (kept at 89-90) with very moist paper towel. Change it every 1-2 days (as long as it does not smell and is not soiled its ok for a second day), leave the gecko in the incubator for 2-3 days or until the yolk detaches.
Then move to a rack, care like any other baby with a little more moisture. Just make sure to keep moist and that the baby does not get dehydrated.
These babies seem to take a little longer to get going/start feeding but I have had good success so far using this method.

Visit our friends