Young Leopard Gecko attacking at ReptiCarpet

meeks

Hi! I got my leopard gecko about two weeks from PetSmart. He's still pretty timid around me but has no problems with eating or drinking. Recently, I've noticed him doing something pretty weird. He'll stick his head out of his warm hide occasionally and start biting at the ReptiCarpet. I think his mouth gets stuck on it after that, because sometimes I hear what sounds like him ripping some of the fibers up. Does he do this because he's hungry or because he doesn't like the carpet? He eats about 7-10 mealworms each night. He's chirped at me before when he wants to eat more. Also, can I have some general tips to tame and bond with him? After leaving him alone for the first week I began sticking my hand in his 20-gallon tank to let him get used to me. He'll boop and lick my hand, but gets frightened when I move so I haven't handled him any yet.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
You can replace the carpet with paper towels if you're concerned about him eating it. At least temporarily until you guys learn a bit more about each other. As for taming, just search in the top right for "taming gecko". Basically you wanna move slowly be patient and work with him every day if possible in short spurts

Rydikulus Reptiles

Hi! Welcome to the hobby!

My first concern is definitely the ReptiCarpet. You want to remove that as soon as possible, as their tiny claws and teeth could get caught and get ripped out. Also, ReptiCarpet gets filthy and smelly quite quickly, and can be a breeding ground for bacteria. It's also expensive to replace as often as you would need to in order to keep it clean and safe for your leo.

Might I recommend using paper towels if your leopard gecko is a juvenile, and transitioning to a 70% top soil, 30% non-toxic play sand mixture as a substrate that most accurately resembles their natural environment.

If you have any questions about substrate, feel free to DM me! I love helping new hobbyists when they need it without getting judgemental or hateful comments.

Also feel free to visit the Rydikulus Reptiles Facebook page! Our "Files" tab has a lot of valuable information on leopard gecko care and husbandry that is well organized and easy to understand!

-Rai

Visit our friends