zoo med eco carpet?

anbu

I was on pangea reptile to buy some disinfectant and I decided I wanted to eliminate my messing substrate. So for $4ish I bought the zoo med eco carpet as well. my only concern or question is how well will it hold humidity? the eco earth substrate holds humidity pretty darn well so when I switch Im afraid I will have a heck of a time keeping moisture in the enclosure. I was also thinking that if it doesn't hold humidity well, I could get some of those "sea sponge" things they sell at hobby lobby and other craft stores. I could get that wet and set it on the bottom. not sure if that will help much.
http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/eco-carpet.html

Sidhe

I don't know about the sea sponges, but live plants are a good way to hold humidity if you wanted to add some to your viv.

anbu

I don't know about the sea sponges, but live plants are a good way to hold humidity if you wanted to add some to your viv.

i have one in there already thats planted right into the substrate. its a bonsai ficus tree so I will prolly put that in a shallow pot and use the eco earth as potting soil.

Wbrown5496

Just a heads up eco earth, to my knowledge, has no nutritional value for plants. There for if the plant needs it and its in the eco earth it will slowly die. In my frog tanks I use an organic potting soil with NO perlite or any bits of junk that could cause impaction. Good luck and I hope that helps.

anbu

Just a heads up eco earth, to my knowledge, has no nutritional value for plants. There for if the plant needs it and its in the eco earth it will slowly die. In my frog tanks I use an organic potting soil with NO perlite or any bits of junk that could cause impaction. Good luck and I hope that helps.

yea i would'nt imagine it does but those ficus' are tough lol. i have 2 succulents and they are wilting and starting to die but the ficus is growing new leaves. i work in a greenhouse in the summer so i can get some organic soil with no junk in it.

Phish999

i use the carpet for my 2 leos but im switching to tile soon, carpet wont really hold humidity eco earth is my choice for tropical

ltdanicecream

IMO eco carpet is a godsend. It's aesthetic (to me), cheap, and safe. It holds humidity well enough, but then again i spray my geckos a lot.

anbu

IMO eco carpet is a godsend. It's aesthetic (to me), cheap, and safe. It holds humidity well enough, but then again i spray my geckos a lot.

i agree with you, I have had mine in the enclosure for a week now and I took it out, rinsed it, disinfected it and put it back in 5 mins today. I put a few layers of paper towel on top to help with humidity since those gold more moisture then just the carpet.

Daedric1

EcoCarpet is best for causing a loss of toenails in reptiles, due to snags. I've seen leos get their nails (and even teeth) stuck in it while walking or trying to eat live feeders.

I can imagine cresteds would have the same problem with their toenails. Probably teeth too, if live feeders are given in the enclosure. Even if not feeding in the enclosure, teeth can get snagged if shedding is performed on the floor of the terrarium. I'm not sure how the pads on their feet would be affected, if at all.

EcoCarpet also has a problem drying out because of the way it is made. The middle of the carpet can take weeks to dry out after washing it, even when used in a dry enclosure. This means that yes, it holds humidity within the carpet itself, but this also means that it welcomes the production of bacteria and other nasty stuff.

I'm not a fan of it - I got rid of mine a long time ago, and would never consider using it for any reptile ever again.

anbu

EcoCarpet is best for causing a loss of toenails in reptiles, due to snags. I've seen leos get their nails (and even teeth) stuck in it while walking or trying to eat live feeders.

I can imagine cresteds would have the same problem with their toenails. Probably teeth too, if live feeders are given in the enclosure. Even if not feeding in the enclosure, teeth can get snagged if shedding is performed on the floor of the terrarium. I'm not sure how the pads on their feet would be affected, if at all.

EcoCarpet also has a problem drying out because of the way it is made. The middle of the carpet can take weeks to dry out after washing it, even when used in a dry enclosure. This means that yes, it holds humidity within the carpet itself, but this also means that it welcomes the production of bacteria and other nasty stuff.

I'm not a fan of it - I got rid of mine a long time ago, and would never consider using it for any reptile ever again.

mine dries out pretty quick and I take it out once a week to spray it with disinfectant. plus I put paper towels ontop of it to help hold moisture because the eco-carpet dries out so quickly. paper towels will prevent any snags that might happen.

Visit our friends