A SIM quick fix.

robin

Robin,
Your theory on back heated incubators might be sound in your thinking BUT, your theory has already been squashed by the fact that some of the people who have hatched eggs in the SIM were using back heated incubators...

The heat is coming from the back but the air and substrate are being heated equally... Besides, the back heat radiates out, then up creating a stable ambient air temperature... The air is moving naturally by its own circulatory action... It is not being forced like it is in a hova...

i was wondering if you guys had any hard data, like charts, graphs or any papers written on the subject of the SIM and the incubation process. i think it would be informative :)

also understand the the idea of the SIM is not new but is certainly was never as popular as it has been since we released our product;) ...
marketing at the right places with a great potential "target customer base"

75 leopard geckos that is not many, i hope more hatch using this method. i would imagine once the geckos start hatching out of some of the larger breeders SIM containers it is going to skyrocket! awesome!

KelliH

You know what, at this point I am done talking about it. Basically my advice is: if you want to use a Hovabator the SIM as it is right now is not for you. Once it is modified for use and then tested with success in a Hovabator it should be great. There's really no point in discussing it anymore until there is some results from whatever modifications Gregg and John come up with. Otherwise we are all just having the same discussion over and over and over... When there is an update Gregg, let us know. :)

PS. My SIM is now set up as instructed in a Nature's Spirit incubator with a Helix thermostat set at 82 degrees. My husband and I just checked the eggs and so far so good.

Gregg M

Registered Member
i was wondering if you guys had any hard data, like charts, graphs or any papers written on the subject of the SIM and the incubation process. i think it would be informative :)

I thought I answered this in a previous thread but incase anyone missed it, YES we have our own data, data from testers and users as well as a written paper we drew up to present to the AZA... We will release data as it comes in... Our write up however will not be released until it is used for what it was written for...

marketing at the right places with a great potential "target customer base"
I do not get your meaning but it is does not take away the fact that this method has never been studied, used, or talked about to the degree is has since the SIMs release in August of 09...

75 leopard geckos that is not many, i hope more hatch using this method. i would imagine once the geckos start hatching out of some of the larger breeders SIM containers it is going to skyrocket! awesome!

Like I said, I am being modest when I say 75... That is only what I remeber from only 4 months after its release... Many more will hatch using this method...

While it is great to have big breeders backing the product it is equally important to our business to have our customers back our product... This is why we are working hard to figure out a solution to the SIM/Hovabator issue without it costing our customers a dime...

Just an update...
The latest new species to hatch on the SIM were some knobtails in Australia...

I think the covos can be stimulating as long as comments and questions are not taken personally... I hope threads like this can stay open so we can knock this issue out...

Last edited:

Retribution Reptiles

Stripe King
There isn't a design flaw in the SIM. People have been using this method for years. You pretty much cleaned up the design put a bow on it and made it easy for begginers to experts.

No matter what you do you can't change the physics of how the Hova works ( as purchased ) The only thing I think will work is adding a fan in the proper place. Even that would have to be tested with different angles and placement of the fan.

robin

I thought I answered this in a previous thread but incase anyone missed it, YES we have our own data, data from testers and users as well as a written paper we drew up to present to the AZA... We will release data as it comes in... Our write up however will not be released until it is used for what it was written for...
that's awesome Gregg! i would love to read your paper that you wrote to the AZA. do you think you can make a page on your website with your research and data. i think it would be be awesome for customers and potential customers like myself to have access to this info! :main_thumbsup:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Another SIM (with reptipro5000) data point:
I tossed the water crystals because they didn't seem to be doing anything
SIM with perlite and 2 cups water resulted in humidity 90% and no condensation
SIM with perlite and 3 cups of water resulted in humidity 95%, traces of condensation

I have noticed in general that I get more condensation when there are eggs in the SIM than when it's empty. The SIM I mentioned above has no eggs yet and the one with the AFT eggs has lots of condensation (which wasn't there when there were no eggs). Could this be?

Aliza

paulnj

Aliza, if you are having any trouble with the MR148/ RP5000 please PM me. I am not having issues , but did need to adjust a few times in the beginning.

fallen_angel

Fallen Angel's Geckos
I didn't realize the SIM was having problems with Hovabators.. that's what we have and I did have our eggs in the SIM but they all dented, so I just switched back to the old fashioned way for the time being

funky1

Just thought I`d post on this thread as it`s the only one I can find at the mo`. Anyhow, I bought a couple of SIMS over here in the UK, and bought a hovabator specifically FOR use with the SIM`s as it`s the incubator I was led to believe was best for their use - at the time. Out of 35 eggs - only 6 hatched - the others quickly dried up beyond hope despite a veritable `splop` being used in the bottom, prob more than a 60 water to 40 perlite ratio!!! (now I fully admit it was something I should have predicted given the top heat - so blame myself as much as anyone; and yup, I did `test` the SIM`s in the Hovabator for around 4 week first and was getting decent amounts of condensation, though obv not enough). At the time I was ready to just consign them to another `experience` and stick with the tried and tested methods of incubation I`d always used. I didn`t want to give up on them though, and simpy placed the SIM`s (once empty and/or eggs had been transfered elsewhere) in my purpose built incubator which has bottom and side heat - a great `bator that I`ve used with great success for years. Anyhow, poured the excess water out the bottom so the perlite was still wet, and got to admit that after a couple of hours the whole SIM condensed up perfectly. All eggs that have since been placed in the SIM`s in my own incubator and not the Hovabator are doing wonderfully, perfectly well - not a shred of denting, sinking nor mould (I tend to do an air exchange every 3rd day or so - also wipe the lid of condensation at this point to prevent water drops). Basically, the point of this post is just to say that whilst the SIM`s aren`t fool-proof, if they are used in the correct way with bottom (rising) heat that warms the substrate just enough, they are proving to be a wonderfully effective way of incubation leo eggs. Tbh, they are now working BETTER than I thought they could do - and that`s coming from someone who was (at first) a little narked with them after such a negative/crushing experience with the SIM/Hovabator combo!!!

Visit our friends