APTORS AND RATOPS, OH MY

robin

ok so by definition An APTOR is a Tremper Albino Patternless Orange Leopard Gecko. APTORs are a combination morph of two recessive traits and line bred colors. The APTORs were first developed by Ron Tremper in 2004 (Leopargeckowiki). and a RAPTOR stands for Red-eye Albino Patternless Tremper ORange. A RAPTOR is a Red-Eyed Albino gecko with an orange colored body.
now with both aptor and raptors the "patternless" is a stripe. an the eyes can be eclipse or snake eyes.

then tell me how the heck can you have a banded or even jungle raptor or aptor? wouldnt it just be a banded or jungle tremper albino from raptor or aptor lines? i mean if it's not "patternless" then its not a raptor or aptor.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
On the one hand, I also feel that a gecko with a pattern cannot be a raptor or an aptor. On the other hand, I have geckos born as patternless stripes that develop quite a few spots as they age. I guess I'd say that if the gecko is "patternless" at hatching I would be willing to call it an aptor or raptor, but not one that's hatched striped or jungly.

Aliza

robin

right thats what i think but you see all these people talking about banded aptors or whatever. i am sure it can get all confusing especially to ppoeple who do not know what the difference between a regular tremper banded and one from aptor and/ or raptor breedings

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I agree... it IS confusing. When the 'APTOR' and "RAPTOR' were first introduced, it was, and still is, difficult for many that were new to the hobby to differentiate between the "P" (stands for patternless) in those titles, and the Murphy Patternless morph. Now that there are patterned 'RAPTORS', it is throwing a wrench in the works. Technically, these geckos are not RAPTORS.

cassadaga

Oregon Rainwater
In my opinion patternless should have never been used to describe the morph. Patternless stripe is an oxymoron, stripe implies a pattern.

robin

agreed but the creator of the morph named it that even though it is technically wrong but we can not go back and change that now. what we have to do is start calling animals what exactly they are.if i get banded from my raptors and aptors i will call them baned trempers from so and so lines het for whatever (if it is het for something else) because technically that is what they are.

eyelids

Bells Rule!
I think once Radars and Typhoons are as prevalent as Raptors people will forget about the acronym... How often do you see people using "RAPTOR" to describe their geckos? Give it a couple years... It's already got it's foot out the door...

robin

well i have no idea what a typhoon is but when i got out of reptiles three or four years ago people were calling "RAPTORS" and 3/4 years later still calling them "RAPTORS", i don't see any foot going out the door LOL

P

Pickles457

i definately agree with everyone, i pretty much call them how i see them. I had a reverse stripe tremper and an aptor hatch around the same time, they looked exactly the same for a while until the stripe really started to develop and he also got alot more yellow than orange. The aptor also has a very lite colored head with a orange pattern, the striped tremper did not.

eyelids

Bells Rule!
I think you misunderstood me...

Basically I'm saying in the future people will likely say something like this, Buyer X "What kind of Raptor's do you have?" Breeder X "We have Patternless Stripe Raptors, Reverse Stripe Raptors, Stripe Raptors, etc."...

All of them are already in use except Patternless Stripe Raptor and once it is the argument/confusion will be over...

Get my drift?

robin

Basically I'm saying in the future people will likely say something like this, Buyer X "What kind of Raptor's do you have?" Breeder X "We have Patternless Stripe Raptors, Reverse Stripe Raptors, Stripe Raptors, etc."...

All of them are already in use except Patternless Stripe Raptor and once it is the argument/confusion will be over...

Get my drift?

thing is. tremper named it "patternless".

some of the confusion is because of ignorance. people buy stuff they do not know the genetics of (not that the breeder did not give them to them, well some may not, but rather they did not do their homework on the genetics) and then when they go to sell it they just say oh poo look this is a banded raptor. what the hell, a banded raptor? its a banded tremper albno that popped out of a raptor or aptor breeding and yes it might have snake eyes or full ecplipse eyes but its still a banded tremper albino.

oh wow all this excitement, i think i will take a xanax now :D

:main_robin:

robin

ahh and then we could get into the confusion between a sunglow, hybino whatever tremper and an APTOR LOL

gah

Misstasha

Get my drift?

I agree with eyelids....

robin

i understand what he is saying but in the circum,stance he is talking about Buyer X is wrong for asking what kind of RAPTORS (because he should know what a true raptor is) BUYER X has and buyer X is wrong because he is just perpetuating this silly incorrect information. and if we do not start correcting people now we are going to have a bunch of complete idiots selling banded animals as aptors and raptors and everything will get even more complicated (as far as genetics and names too). it's like we need to educate the newbs and in some cases not so newbs

Visit our friends