Baby Leopard Gecko - Need some advice please!

BeccaMarie

Hey Everyone!
Myself and my partner have an adolescent leopard gecko called Yoko and we have had her about 10 months now and she is doing excellent and we enjoy having her :). So naturally when one of our friends said that he had been given 2 baby leopard geckos but he could not look after them we were more than happy to take them off him.
That was until we realised that the babies had not been looked after very well from their previous owner. Both baby's were scrawny (barely ANY body fat) and both of them had all four legs clubbed by their skin so they have a bit of a deformed walk.
First thing we did was stick them in a tub of luke warm water (obviously only enough to cover their feet and just touch bellies) and tried to soak the skin off, we also tried to help pull some off. One of the geckos we lost after only having them for about an hour, not only were its feet severely clubbed but their was something wrong with its jaw. It could not get its tongue out, kind of looked swollen, either way my partner tried all he could to save it, we rang an emergency vet to get suggestions on what we could do, but eventually the little thing gave in, it was really upsetting. Fortunately the other baby gecko was showing a lot more life and could easily lick its lips. We managed to remove all of the clubbed up skin apart from 1 foot which we think was just to sore for it to keep messing with so we are going to try and remove again tomorrow. This Gecko we have called Hope. We have placed it inside a small plastic tub, with 2 pieces of kitchen role covering the space on the floor of the tub, 1 hide, 1 shallow water bowl and 1 heat mat underneath the side of the hide. Hope seems pretty content.
HOWEVER what we are worrying about is that even though it seems ok, we have had it for one day and one night so far and I know we are not in the room constantly but I have yet to see it drink, poop and we have tried to feed it a meal worm today and it does not seem interested..........Not sure weather this is due to the geckos young age and new surrounding. But im getting a bit worried, especially with the baby being so fragile. Does anybody know what we should do and weather it would be worth taking Hope to a vet? ANY advice would be much appreciated, we've already lost Hope's sibling, we don't want to loose this one! :( PS : referring to the baby as 'it' because its to young for us to know the sex yet x.x

indyana

Consulting with a knowledgeable reptile vet is always the best course of action when dealing with a sick animal. We here on the internet can only really offer suggestions from past experience and don't have the ability to examine the gecko in real time. So, if you have a vet nearby, I strongly recommend getting an appointment.

Also, because you don't know if these geckos were sick with an illness, it's very, very important that you keep Hope totally separated from your healthy gecko. Always care for the baby after your done with your own gecko, wash hands/surfaces, don't share tools between their cages, etc. There are a few parasitic infections that can be transmitted between geckos that are fairly serious, so prevention is important.

In the meantime, your baby may simply be too malnourished and weak to eat properly. In these cases, it is best to make a liquid slurry and feed it by putting drops around the mouth edges or on the tip of the nose (just not in the nostrils). There's a recipe posted here:
http://geckoforums.net/f130-health-medications/54742.htm

You'll have more luck getting responses if you post in the Leopard Gecko Forum . Health and Medications has a survey that you can fill out and ask for cage/care feedback or advice from other members.
http://geckoforums.net/f130-health-medications/70912.htm

Visit our friends