Cohabbing 3 Geckos

Ty's Geckos

Hello!

I cohab three female leopard geckos in a 34 gallon tank and am well aware of the individualistic behavior leopard geckos have in the wild. For the most part, my leopard geckos get along just fine with no fights and no visible signs of stress. My only concern is that (while not often) my leopard geckos will "cuddle" which at first I thought was cute until researching that this is a sign of dominance/stealing heat from one another. The heat pad is big enough for all of them to comfortably use but even then on the occasion I'll catch one of my geckos cuddling on top of the other. While this doesn't happen often I'd like to know if this is a reason I should look into setting up a new enclosure to separate my geckos.

Thanks in advance!
Tyler

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Some people will only house their leopard geckos individually. I have always housed mine in small groups, though as the population dwindles (it dwindles slowly despite the fact that my geckos are all crypto positive, and, clearly, I'm not getting any new geckos), I'm housing them separately when possible. I think some "cuddling" is acceptable. The thing to watch out for is if it's the same gecko that always ends up on the bottom, that may have scratch marks on it, that isn't eating as much as the other or is losing weight, and that gets followed around constantly.

Aliza

Ty's Geckos

Some people will only house their leopard geckos individually. I have always housed mine in small groups, though as the population dwindles (it dwindles slowly despite the fact that my geckos are all crypto positive, and, clearly, I'm not getting any new geckos), I'm housing them separately when possible. I think some "cuddling" is acceptable. The thing to watch out for is if it's the same gecko that always ends up on the bottom, that may have scratch marks on it, that isn't eating as much as the other or is losing weight, and that gets followed around constantly.

Aliza
I previously had four in the same tank but gave the one gecko away that was involved in most of the cuddling. Now she's living her best life!

IMG_1130.jpeg

Visit our friends