Completely fresh off the boat new! MA

B

blarklark

Hello my name is Karl,
As of now I'm just starting to learn about keeping gecko's. My first thoughts was going to be to get an Anole. But soon after I did some online reading I found they don't like to be held have bad tempers and are usually sickly. So instead I found a link to Leopard Gecko's and was pumped to know all the wonderful characteristics they have.
I have a very small baby boy by the name of Leo. Yeah how original. Leo as in lion. I got Leo from a Petsmart pet store. I was searching like crazy hoping there was a gecko in the tank when he came out of nowhere and looked me in the eyes. First day I got him he allowed me to hold him and I never have to grab him. He climbs on my hand freely which helps. From recent chat's with some folk from his site they tell he is going to be a tangerine Morph.
The reason I'm here is... the helper at Petsmart sent me home with a basking light. I soon found out through research that Leopard Gecko's eyes can be hurt but sunlight based bulbs. So now I use an info-red bulb and that event got me searching for an information hub since I don't trust them.

Yesterday was my first experience with Leo shedding his skin. At first it was just odd. I was a bit afraid I was going to have to help him with my pair of tweezers. But turns out he did fine on his own.

My main goal is to keep Leo happy and healthy and I thought this would be the best choice for connections. :)
Anyways, I think thats long enough for an introduction.
~Karl

DSCN0890.jpg

DSCN0902.jpg

DSCN0865.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

moosassah

The question is did petsmart take the light back & apologize for selling you the wrong thing? Talk to the manager.

Great looking guy. As for shedding, watch for when they start to look "dull" in color. Then be sure that their humid hide has plenty of moisture. A humid hide can be as simple as a plastic container with paper towels in it. Check the toes after a shed to be sure there's no lingering pieces of shed.

HAVE FUN!

B

blarklark

Thank you all for the warm welcome :)!
Yes I did take the light back but did not talk to the main man. I didn't want to waste my time. To be honest one person telling them they don't know what they are talking about wont stop them. They want money. Its funny because I grabbed one of the million tabs they pass out on Leopard Gecko's and nowhere in it does it say. " They can be hurt if you use Basking lights".. it was also funny because they had one on.. for some of their gecko's and not a single gecko was out and about.. they all were in their caves just looking out. Must suck for them.

As for shedding.. YEP! I stayed up all night watching him pull it off. Then when he was done. I picked him up and checked the tail toes.. nose and eye lids. I have to get a few pieces off his eye lids and a piece from under his chin. But other then that.. he got it all.

B

blarklark

Thank you all for the warm welcome :)!
Yes I did take the light back but did not talk to the main man. I didn't want to waste my time. To be honest one person telling them they don't know what they are talking about wont stop them. They want money. Its funny because I grabbed one of the million tabs they pass out on Leopard Gecko's and nowhere in it does it say. " They can be hurt if you use Basking lights".. it was also funny because they had one on.. for some of their gecko's and not a single gecko was out and about.. they all were in their caves just looking out. Must suck for them.

As for shedding.. YEP! I stayed up all night watching him pull it off. Then when he was done. I picked him up and checked the tail toes.. nose and eye lids. I had to get a few pieces off his eye lids and a piece from under his chin. But other then that.. he got it all.

DSCN0961.jpg

Visit our friends