Crested/Tokay Hybrid

Siege

For a long time I've been fascinated with hybrids, and I was hoping to ask around before starting a new project.
I want to know if anyone has, or has heard of, hybridizing tokays and cresties. I know with snakes you can hybridize an arboreal python from Africa to a terrestrial colubrid from America, but I wasn't sure if that universality was true with all reptiles.
Depending on what I hear back, my plan is this.
In the past whenever I have put a male crestie into an enclosure that recently housed a female, they'll try to breed with anything that moves. And when I play tokay breeding calls, my female will immediately perk up and look for a mate. So my plan is to put a female tokay into a female cresties enclosure, then introduce a male crestie while playing tokay breeding calls.
I know hybrids are a controversial topic, but I think they can be a really cool way of getting new and interesting animals.
So, if you've heard of anyone trying this or have any thoughts, please let me know!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I would think they are too distant taxonomically, but I'm no expert. Here is an article about crested gecko /chahoua gecko hybrids. If you decide to do this, watch your crested gecko really carefully in case the tokay gets really aggressive.

Aliza

Hannibal

Gray Sky Exotics
Knowing how aggressive some tokays can be, I’d be shocked if the crestie didn’t end up dead. I personally would not risk stressing the gecko/s, or possible death of a gecko.

LZRDGRL

I am fascinated by hybrids, too. I used to have a crested-chahoua hybrid. He was my prettiest and tamest gecko ever. He's pictured in the article mentioned above "Gecko Hybridiztion" by GeckoTime.

LuLu1104

For a long time I've been fascinated with hybrids, and I was hoping to ask around before starting a new project.
I want to know if anyone has, or has heard of, hybridizing tokays and cresties. I know with snakes you can hybridize an arboreal python from Africa to a terrestrial colubrid from America, but I wasn't sure if that universality was true with all reptiles.
Depending on what I hear back, my plan is this.
In the past whenever I have put a male crestie into an enclosure that recently housed a female, they'll try to breed with anything that moves. And when I play tokay breeding calls, my female will immediately perk up and look for a mate. So my plan is to put a female tokay into a female cresties enclosure, then introduce a male crestie while playing tokay breeding calls.
I know hybrids are a controversial topic, but I think they can be a really cool way of getting new and interesting animals.
So, if you've heard of anyone trying this or have any thoughts, please let me know!
So anybody tried this? For making crested that are more suitable for warmer climates. There were only few keepers of crestie (including my self) here in my country because of warmer temp

Visit our friends