crypto

C

critternerd

So, I have been perusing crypto posts on the site, but I havent found any real ways to get rid of it. I thin k my gecko may have crypto, but I dont want to jump to conclusions and put him down. Any suggestions would be gold!

BalloonzForU

A trip to the vet with the proper test is in order to rule out crypto.

There is also a sticky in the chat forum of a guest chat with a vet discussing crypto that is a great read.

C

critternerd

Unfortunately, I dont have access to a vet, unless a plain old dogs and cats vet can do the job...

C

critternerd

I read that sticky on crypto. When they say bleach and ammonia, are they meaning to soak the gecko in that or what?

ILoveGeckos14

From what I have heard and read there is no way to get rid of crypto in leopard geckos. I'm sorry, I hope its not crypto. I would try again to look for vets/herp hobbyists in the area.

robin

NOOOOOOO

cleaning the cage and all the bowls out and hides and such.

and do not use bleach and ammonia together! i can not stress this enough!

robin

there is a medication that can be used to treat crypto but i do not think its ever been proven to have had any success in leopard geckos.

C

critternerd

I live in a small community in Southern Alberta. My closest large city is 2 hours away, and the capitol, Edmonton, is 6 hours away. We have like... 4 cats and dogs vets, but no reptile vets.

C

critternerd

it looks like my leos tail is a bit larger all of the sudden, it seems to have a wee bit more mass to it. I dont know if a tail can suddenly beef up, but I noticed it after he came out of his moist hide.

C

critternerd

i just found out, he ate a cricket, which seems to cause him to puke. Maybe that one cricket made him lose his entire dinner...

C

critternerd

I just found out that he may have eaten too much. ( I am just trying to find ideas and I am posting them up here)

C

critternerd

He does, however, have some blue colouring on the side of his neck and up into his back area.

LizMarie

My first question to you is why do you believe your gecko has crypto!?

Like they said ammonia OR bleach can be used to disinfect the tank to keep it as sanitary as possible.

Pictures would really help when explaining. While no one here can give you proper medical advice as to what the issue might be without an examination and test we can try our best to give your our honest opinions on what it might or might not be.

C

critternerd

THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING SOMEONE!!! I thought you had all forgot about me lol. Anyways. I think he has crypto because he puked up a bunch of his mealies last night, and there was a greyish mass of something that smelled like poop. He does not eat crickets, but he loves meal worms. a good portion of his underside is blueish, and his tail is extremely skinny.

C

critternerd

I am posting pics of what he looked like, and what he looks like now.. I am also gonna include a pic of his enclosure. I get them on asap.

LizMarie

a good portion of his underside is blueish, and his tail is extremely skinny.

Hmm.. I don't know much about this but when people say that they're animal seems to have a "bruised" belly it might indicate that there is something wrong with the liver like fatty liver disease. I personally haven't researched this but a few people might know a thing or two about it. You might want to research fatty liver instead of crypto and a picture of his underside might help a lot as well.

A run down of your specs. would be good as well as a picture. *ie. temps, feeding schedule, time you've had your pet, how long it's been like this, etc.*

C

critternerd

OK... So, a few specs about my tank:
-under tank heater
-red heat bulb, ambient temp at 90-96 on hot side, 79 on cool side
-01 warm hide, i moist hide, i believe the warm hide may be insulated quite well
calcium and water bowls,
wooden tank, made mainly of melamine
tiles in back, piles in a pyramid shape,

Visit our friends