does anyone else use ebay?

R

rrhill

I got 7 emails this morning saying my credit card has been used to set up a new account. I also got those emails sent to my hullabaloo herps email (my paypal is sent up at my herp email). They weren't spoof emails because they were also in my ebay account message box. I checked my credit card statement online and no one has made any charges with it. I had a major issue with paypal last year and had to close 2 bank accounts...I am not sure ebay & paypal are worth the trouble. I sent ebay an email through their security section spent 45 minutes on their live chat. Live chat is not hlpful, they just tell you to send an email. So now I am waiting for a response from the "security team"...gee somehow the title "security team" isn't making me feel anymore secure.:main_thumbsdown:

robin

i have used ebay and i have not had any problems, except with a seller and i made a claim to paypal and was reimbursed asap (within a day)

R

rrhill

I have never had a problem with a seller, had 1 problem with a buyer. I sold some hydroponic equipment (I used in my classroom you potheads) and I clearly put that I couldn't accept credit card payments. The a$$ who won the auction tried to buy w/ a cc & I returned the payment. I came home from work and there were 2 really stupid emails from him...to the effect of "bitch bitch bitch whore whore whore indian giver indian giver I hope you are happy now and burn in hell" big dumbass sent the emails from his work email addy. Went online and looked up the companies phone number. So I called his boss & forwarded the emails to him, and I also complained to the ISP (postmaster @companynamehere.com).The guy got fired and the owner of the company emailed 3 times to apologize and offer me a discount on some car stereo & GSP systems (thats what the company the guy worked for did). Too bad I don't live in California...could have had a kickass stereo put in my vehicle! I never did relist the item, it is still packaged in my garage ready to ship lol...

The problem I had with paypal caused a major issue with my bank account...they were double dipping on my bank account & credit card...not sure why that happened. I closed the bank accounts and removed that card from the paypal account. I didn't use paypal for a little while after that...mostly because they locked the account because I complained. They reopened it "after their investigation":main_rolleyes: and I put a new bank account & card on the account. I watch my paypal like a hawk now. I still get spoof emails for paypal stuff every now & again...I wonder where these people get the idea from?

N

nora

i used to ebay a lil the past few years.. and had a problem with getting those emails where "someone" opened a new account with my bank card.. so i got smart opened a new account left $20 in it and used that solely for paypal/ebay transactions. and anytime i had more than $20 in the account i just went to the bank withdrew the difference and deposited it into my regular account.. this was maybe about 6 months ago, but lately anything i get off of ebay i check to see if i can pay with my credit card rather than paypal...

Paypal really rips people off with their transfer fees and what not...

M

misanthorpe

I have had an eBay and PayPal account for 6 years now. These might be Phish mails. I too got a small cluster of different versions of phishmail recently.

When I checked the transaction numbers at eBay, they did not exist. When I checked the account names/addresses for the buyer and seller, they did not exist. No one had actually accessed either of my accounts. I DID NOT use any link in the email. I typed the address directly into my browser and checked on account activity that way. No transactions occured as alleged in the phishmails.

Anxiety prone as I am, I still forwarded each of the Phishmails to [email protected] and to eBay. And, I changed my password at PayPal to a more "diverse" type.

R

rrhill

I have had spoof emails before, these weren't spoof. They were also in my message box in my ebay account, that's 1 way to know they aren't spoofs. Also these emails didn't have any links...all spoof emails have links, thats how they get you to log into THEIR website. If anyone gets any email from ebay or paypal always type in the URL or click it from your favorites list (if it is on your list), never click links on the email. If they did send you a message it it also in your ebay account messages.I am still waiting for ebay to "investigate"...so far it seems they mistakenly sent the emails, hopefully!

S

silentjohn

I have an account, but don't use it much. Probably like 15 transactions in the past 8? years. I've never been burned, by sellers or by paypal (double billing, messed up billing, stolen or messed up account), but have heard so many horror stories that I am very leery of them. Using paypal is an absolute last resort. Also like Nora I opened a paypal dedicated savings account, and is used exclusively for paypal, and kept at a minimum balance. Money is added as needed for a transaction.

R

rrhill

Well I had 2 credit card companies send me new cards w/ new numbers and close the other accounts. I also just went to the sheriffs office and talked to a detective who filled out the report. Nice Guy! He asked me if I knew who used the card to open the account...I told him if I knew that I wouldn't be here reporting it, I would just have my brothers go beat some ass. He laughed and said that was illegal. It's really only illegal if you get caught. And even then, only if the other person wants to press charges...which I am certain they wouldn't want to do. I think if there were more ass beatings there would be less crime! Anyway...the det. is going to contact ebay to get as much info as possible. I am certain that will be useless because the person probably used fake info and probably a bad IP address so they couldn't be found. But you never know, could just be a REAL DUMB person!

The NY Gecko

Don't Get So Carried Away
See, this is why i love money orders, secure, instant, no waiting to get cashed like a check, no surcharge, no credit card follies. it isnt as fast, but i can be assured payment if i cash it before sending, if its fake, fack the guy that sent me it. postal money orders are a wonderful thing, and should be used any chance you get if you wanna stay safe.

R

rrhill

I love money orders too especially if they are being sent TO me!
The practicality of buying & selling; however, mandates that one have as many convenient ways of sending funds as possible. And like it or not, paypal is pretty much the only game in town...as crooked as I think they are. And Ebay is a great tool as long as everyone plays by the rules. I am really just disgusted with people, not so much ebay or paypal. It is people who make a decision to be honest or not to be honest. Although I believe both ebay & paypal could really step up the security to make it more difficult for dishonest people to use their services. But as soon as one loophole is closed, some butt-head will find a way to continue to scam. They just better hope I don't get a name or address. There are many ways to "skin a cat" and not all of them are illegal...some are just mean and dirty!

The NY Gecko

Don't Get So Carried Away
rrhill said:
I love money orders too especially if they are being sent TO me!
The practicality of buying & selling; however, mandates that one have as many convenient ways of sending funds as possible. And like it or not, paypal is pretty much the only game in town...as crooked as I think they are. And Ebay is a great tool as long as everyone plays by the rules. I am really just disgusted with people, not so much ebay or paypal. It is people who make a decision to be honest or not to be honest. Although I believe both ebay & paypal could really step up the security to make it more difficult for dishonest people to use their services. But as soon as one loophole is closed, some butt-head will find a way to continue to scam. They just better hope I don't get a name or address. There are many ways to "skin a cat" and not all of them are illegal...some are just mean and dirty!
Send them a fish in the mail, normal ups ground. thats always fun to open eh?

S

SPJ

I had the exact same thing happen.
The bank closed my Visa and is sending me a new card.
The card was used to try and set up a new Ebay account. From what I was told by Ebay and Visa, this is a way of testing to see if the card number is valid. The reason it got flagged is because I already have a seller account with that card on record for it.
Ebay notified me but Visa also caught it and called me at home and then at work.
They traced it back to a yahoo.com email with an ISP in China.
It is still being investigated as identity theft and they are trying to determine how the info got out.
This one was a legit theft of info and not an attempt to obtain the info by having me reply to an email.

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
I only use Paypal to pay leopard gecko breeders and get food items :D I also accepted a few payments through it. So far, I love paypal! :D

N

nora

SPJ said:
The card was used to try and set up a new Ebay account. From what I was told by Ebay and Visa, this is a way of testing to see if the card number is valid. The reason it got flagged is because I already have a seller account with that card on record for it.
Ebay notified me but Visa also caught it and called me at home and then at work.
It is still being investigated as identity theft and they are trying to determine how the info got out.
This one was a legit theft of info and not an attempt to obtain the info by having me reply to an email.

well as long as there was no money taken out of your account Steve.. that's the important thing.. and hiyas!!

R

rrhill

SPJ said:

Very intresting...mine was a visa account that I had used to open my ebay account years ago also...but I had removed this card from my ebay account 2 years ago. I din't have any accounts linked to my ebay account. My paypal account is under a different username password and a different credit card. I didn't get any notification from my card. I am also wondering how they got the card number. Farging China...they need some laws over there, they pirate American technology and steal left & right. :main_thumbsdown:

M

misanthorpe

I suppose there are advantages to having a crappy credit rating, not worth stealing my identity and usless for getting fraudulent credit.

R

rrhill

Gee Brian...you always make me feel better. I was actually kinda hoping I screwed up so I can learn from my mistake! J/k
I am not overly worried, no financial loss, just inconvenience. I have fraud alerts on all my credit reports and will probably keep them on there forever! It is amazing how easy it is for information to be stolen or swiped from computers. Makes one wonder if being "invisible" isn't such a bad thing! I guess that isn't really realistic.

Milwaukee Reptiles

Gecko Addict
lol sorry about that. If those wern't enough don't forget about the recent loss of Vets information (including SSN#s!).

Those are just some of the reported losses... how many smaller companies loose data and never report it? Basically, you're screwed and the company that lost the data sends you a letter to make up for it... kinda nice isn't it? Sorry I get a little worked up when big business keeps screwing us over and government refuses to do anything about it.

Visit our friends