does anyone else use ebay?

R

rrhill

I am aware of the VA screw up, got my letter the other day (was in the Army out of high school). I actually chuckled a little today when I saw on the news that a computer with the info on some Equifax workers was stolen. Equifax is one of the big 3 credit reporting bureaus...I guess nor their emplyees get fraud alerts on their credit reports too.
And I agree about all these businesses who get away with having sub-standard security on their information.

S

SPJ

I was speaking with the security officer from the fraud division at Visa handling my inquiry and it appears that Ebay is the preferred "test site" for stolen CC numbers.

They set up a bogus selling account since you need a CC number to do it. If they are sucessful, they know the number is valid and can be used fraudulently.

Ebay has no system in place to prevent this. The ONLY way Ebay catches it, is if the card had previously been used on their site (to pay seller fees, set up an account, etc.) and this time the info associated with the card is different.

Still no word on how the card number got out but it was an eye opening conversation regarding Ebay and how theives use it to their advantage.

R

rrhill

A test site? That is interesting! I thought they would need the little 3 digit security code on the back to use the card to actually use it to make charges or whatever.

N

nora

rrhill said:
A test site? That is interesting! I thought they would need the little 3 digit security code on the back to use the card to actually use it to make charges or whatever.

here are the major companies that DO require the 3 digit security code on the back of the credit card... only reason i know this is because i used to work for the company. =)

http://gsicommerce.com/partners/index.jsp

anyway.. if you feel that fraud has been involved with any of your accounts, you can contact any one of the major bureaus and inform them that you feel as if your idenity has been compromised and they can put a fraud alert notice on your credit report which normally can be from 90 days to 7 years... and anytime a credit account of any kind is opened, then *TADA* the security alert is issued and the company is required to call you to verify that you are the one opening the account.

i think its pretty spiffy and have a security alert on my credit report and ive had gotten a call from besy buy because someone (who happened to be me) opened a charge account with them. =)

Visit our friends