does my baby have enigma syndrome? vid

amanda509

i had a pair of babies hatch monday night 8/13. they are a week old. the first hatchling cant seem to keep its balance when running and is constantly falling over. the second does not do this. they are not enigma, but ive heard of non enigmas getting the same signs of enigma syndrome. this baby was not running in circles when i found him, he just cant seem to stay on his feet! lol. anyone think he will outgrow this?

for some reason my video isnt showing up, so heres the url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6oBSNz-cS0&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

RampantReptiles

It is probably the beginning of metabolic bone disease. Is the gecko already eating? Make sure that the crickets are dusted well with a quality vitamin/calcium supplement containing D3. If it is not eating yet you may want to consider giving a small amount of liquid calcium or adding liquid calcium to the water bowl.

amanda509

Non enigmas cannot get enigma syndrome.
WHat are you supplimenting with?

i use stickytongue farms brand supplements. indoor formula is phosphorus free calcium with vitamin d3. outdoor formula is phosphorus free calcium without d3.

i dusted their first meal with a mixture of a small amount of the indoor and some outdoor formula their 3rd day alive, right after they shed, that was less than a week ago. since, i havent dusted, i just have a bottle cap with outdoor formula in it.

Last edited:

amanda509

It is probably the beginning of metabolic bone disease. Is the gecko already eating? Make sure that the crickets are dusted well with a quality vitamin/calcium supplement containing D3. If it is not eating yet you may want to consider giving a small amount of liquid calcium or adding liquid calcium to the water bowl.

where would i get liquid calcium? could i make a tums paste and put some on his nose? i have some tums that are meant to be used as a human calcium supplement

amanda509

hello? what is wrong with my baby! i dont think it is mbd because all his limbs are straight and his joints are fine, which if they were not fine, would be a major indicator of mbd...he is also throwing his head around all the time which also makes me believe its neurological.. help??

amanda509

nevermind. i never get any help here. its a shame ive gotten more reliable help on chameleonforums with these guys than here.

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Also, I looked at all the threads you started and you received an answer to all of them but two, one of which you JUST posted.

ChristinaJ

People just don't want to be Patient Katie...If it's neurological then a vet NEEDS to be seen although you did state this supplement was meant for chameleons not leos...that could be your first clue.

amanda509

People just don't want to be Patient Katie...If it's neurological then a vet NEEDS to be seen although you did state this supplement was meant for chameleons not leos...that could be your first clue.

patient? i dont have 2 weeks to get a reasonable answer on my gecko, and neither does anyone else here. within 2 hours i got 5 very very helpful responses on chameleonforums about this little gecko. and i, and nobody else here, has a couple hundred dollars to go to the vet for them to tell you they cant do anything, if they could actually do something, then yea, id go. but if its neurological, they cant do anything!! ive already emailed my vet and asked. and for the supplements, they can be used for all reptiles, it just happens to be the brand i use for my chameleons -.-

GeckoCrossing

patient? i dont have 2 weeks to get a reasonable answer on my gecko, and neither does anyone else here. within 2 hours i got 5 very very helpful responses on chameleonforums about this little gecko.
Who said it takes two weeks to get a response on here? As far as I can see you got a response to each question in this thread except the tums paste one. And the answer to that should be fairly obvious... no. Why would you take a human antacid/calcium supplement and give it to a gecko when you have pure calcium with no d3 made specifically for reptiles?

and i, and nobody else here, has a couple hundred dollars to go to the vet for them to tell you they cant do anything, if they could actually do something, then yea, id go. but if its neurological, they cant do anything!! ive already emailed my vet and asked. and for the supplements, they can be used for all reptiles, it just happens to be the brand i use for my chameleons -.-
If you don't have the money for a vet visit, then you shouldn't have a pet in the first place. Things go wrong or accidents can happen and not everything can be fixed with a home 'remedy'. And no vet is going to charge hundreds for a check up on a Leopard Gecko. The one I go to is $40 for a check up, and $20 for fecals.

Just watching the video, it's obvious the gecko has something neurologically wrong with it. It either needs to be taken to a vet (which you don't want to spend on apparently), taken care of properly and allowed to grow to see if it out grows it (doubtful) or euthanized if your vet thinks it best (which you won't pay to see).
And as Katie said, Non-Enigmas can not get enigma syndrome. Although one of the replies on the chameleonforums seems to think so. By all means, take their advice. :main_rolleyes:

LeoGirl1999

and i, and nobody else here, has a couple hundred dollars to go to the vet for them to tell you they cant do anything, if they could actually do something, then yea, id go.

"If you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet." That's what my mom taught me. I know it's hard to afford the vet sometimes, but really? It's probably going to only be around $40-$50 to check him. Or at least that's how much it costs around where I live.

SC Geckos

patient? i dont have 2 weeks to get a reasonable answer on my gecko, and neither does anyone else here. within 2 hours i got 5 very very helpful responses on chameleonforums about this little gecko. and i, and nobody else here, has a couple hundred dollars to go to the vet for them to tell you they cant do anything, if they could actually do something, then yea, id go. but if its neurological, they cant do anything!! ive already emailed my vet and asked. and for the supplements, they can be used for all reptiles, it just happens to be the brand i use for my chameleons -.-

If you got 5 answers to your questions then why ask again on this forum?
The community on here is very helpful and quick to respond (within reason). If you need an immediate response (for an emergency) then instead of posting a thread you need to go to the vet. It is as simple as that.

amanda509

Who said it takes two weeks to get a response on here? As far as I can see you got a response to each question in this thread except the tums paste one. And the answer to that should be fairly obvious... no. Why would you take a human antacid/calcium supplement and give it to a gecko when you have pure calcium with no d3 made specifically for reptiles?

If you don't have the money for a vet visit, then you shouldn't have a pet in the first place. Things go wrong or accidents can happen and not everything can be fixed with a home 'remedy'. And no vet is going to charge hundreds for a check up on a Leopard Gecko. The one I go to is $40 for a check up, and $20 for fecals.

Just watching the video, it's obvious the gecko has something neurologically wrong with it. It either needs to be taken to a vet (which you don't want to spend on apparently), taken care of properly and allowed to grow to see if it out grows it (doubtful) or euthanized if your vet thinks it best (which you won't pay to see).
And as Katie said, Non-Enigmas can not get enigma syndrome. Although one of the replies on the chameleonforums seems to think so. By all means, take their advice. :main_rolleyes:

i asked where to get this pure calcium without d3 and nobody would answer me. so what am i supposed to do? i asked about an alternative, how am i supposed to know if nobody answer me on it?

i do have the money for a vet visit, but like i said, i emailed my vet and he said he couldnt do anything about a neurological problem. so why would i take my gecko to the vet if he already told me he cant do anything for him? and my vet doesnt make the prices, the hospital does, and they charge over $100 for a checkup...because they are the only exotic vets in the area and they can do that and get away with it. and thats just the checkup. fecals are $52, and anything else is even more.

and i never said the person who suggested non-enigmas could have enigma syndrome was on chameleonforums, it was someone here on my other thread!!!!

amanda509

"If you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet." That's what my mom taught me. I know it's hard to afford the vet sometimes, but really? It's probably going to only be around $40-$50 to check him. Or at least that's how much it costs around where I live.

i do have the money for a vet visit, but like i said, i emailed my vet and he said he couldnt do anything about a neurological problem. so why would i take my gecko to the vet if he already told me he cant do anything for him? and my vet doesnt make the prices, the hospital does, and they charge over $100 for a checkup...because they are the only exotic vets in the area and they can do that and get away with it. and thats just the checkup. fecals are $52, and anything else is even more.

amanda509

If you got 5 answers to your questions then why ask again on this forum?
The community on here is very helpful and quick to respond (within reason). If you need an immediate response (for an emergency) then instead of posting a thread you need to go to the vet. It is as simple as that.

i asked again on this forum because this is a gecko specific forum, there are supposed to be experienced keepers here that can help me, all i was asking for was is my gecko suffering from a neurological problem, or not...simple as that. it took two days to get responses like "what are you supplementing with" and another that didnt answer me. i answered the supplementing one and got no response whatsoever. i didnt get any helpful responses until i actually complained that nobody was answering me! the responses i got on the other forum were more in depth and explained more, and took only a couple hours and i got my answer...

and i always explain to my vet the problem and ask him if i need to come in to save me money, he told me to find out if it is or isnt neurological, because he was truthful with me and told me he could not do anything if it was. but if it was mbd, then to bring him in...

SC Geckos

i asked again on this forum because this is a gecko specific forum, there are supposed to be experienced keepers here that can help me, all i was asking for was is my gecko suffering from a neurological problem, or not...simple as that. it took two days to get responses like "what are you supplementing with" and another that didnt answer me. i answered the supplementing one and got no response whatsoever. i didnt get any helpful responses until i actually complained that nobody was answering me! the responses i got on the other forum were more in depth and explained more, and took only a couple hours and i got my answer...

and i always explain to my vet the problem and ask him if i need to come in to save me money, he told me to find out if it is or isnt neurological, because he was truthful with me and told me he could not do anything if it was. but if it was mbd, then to bring him in...

How does your "vet" expect you to find out on your own if your gecko has a neurological problem?? I would show him your video instead of posting to to see what other people think. There are many experienced people on here but we can only guess what the issue is from a video.
As far as the supplement questions, many people don't respond to those questions due to the fact that they have been covered in so many other threads in the past. If you use the search function you will find the answers. You just have to look for the info. I don't mean to be rude but if you search the forum for the info, 9 time out of 10 you will get the answers you are looking for instead of making a thread and not doing the research on your own first.

Last thing, Just take the gecko to the vet to be evaluated. If nothing can be done then you wil know. If it happens to be MBD or something else that can be treated then you can address that instead of possibly letting the animal suffer if something can be done now. Good luck.

amanda509

How does your "vet" expect you to find out on your own if your gecko has a neurological problem?? I would show him your video instead of posting to to see what other people think. There are many experienced people on here but we can only guess what the issue is from a video.
QUOTE]

he gave me some symptoms and i tried to send him the video, but it wasnt going through his email correctly, so he actually referred me to this forum and told me to ask around..he said use my best judgement with what people say on here. he is a really good vet, and extremely talented, especially with my chameleons, and finding a vet that can appropriately treat chameleons is very rare, but he treats his fair share of geckos. but because of the high cost of the hospital, he does not want his patients spending money to go in and have him tell them he cant do anything..he is a very honest guy.

CNest

As the owner you need to be proactive and do your own research. There are a lot of threads on here with useful information to you. I'm sure Youtube has various videos showing different conditions as well.

All anyone here can do is give a guess as to what they think it is based on what you have provided in a short description and a short video. A vet is the ONLY person that can give a definite answer and a diagnosis. I highly doubt you will get a breeder to give you a definite answer. That would be a huge liability to them to do such a thing. Business wise and reputation wise. Who wants a reputation ruined because they took a guess based on limited information with an animal they have never seen or handled? That is probably the reason you aren't getting very many responses.

I would send the link to the video to your vet and go from there. Its not always as simple as a yes or no answer.

Good luck and I hope you figure out what is going on with your little guy.

Visit our friends