Found a good deal on an incubator

Anthony Caponetto

Sorry guys...just read the "confusion" thread and realized that this probably isn't news to most of you. Still looks like a good deal, though.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Those two incubators look the same but I don't know if internally they're the same. I don't know who makes the LLL Reptile one. And, by the way, I'm still confused, but I guess I have till January to make a decision.

Aliza

gixxer3420

I just ordered that incubator. So once I get it and use it i will give my opinion to the forum members. Didn't really need another incubator but a decent price made me take a shot at it.

StatikStepz

www.ThePerfectGecko.com
They are completely different. I was wondering the same thing a little ago, and said to myself why would i pay $260 for one, when i could get one for $100-150 cheaper? lol

And well, there is a difference internally. Thats why the price difference. You are paying for what you get. So i didn't mind purchasing the 2 ReptiPro 5000 incubators that i just bought, because you are paying for quality.

:::the difference is clear. clear eyes.::: -lmao, i just had to, sorry.

StatikStepz

www.ThePerfectGecko.com
Could you post some details about how they are different?

Aliza

Read this thread... It talks about the difference between the reptipro incubator and the thinkgeek incubator tho... however, the thinkgeek, and lllreptile incubators are the same thing, just different companies are selling them as their own.

trust me, i was a skeptic aswell (which you will see in my post on that thread, lol), but after talking to the owner on the phone, and him explaining it all to me about all the other stuff not mentioned in his response on that thread, i now know there IS a difference.

http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=47403

robin

all i know. you dont need a rocket to incubate your leopard gecko eggs. shoot hook your hobovator up to a good thermostat and you have a perfectly fine incubator. so $250 vs. $130 for the same basic thing (just difference name), all those "extras" arent gonna make a poo of difference.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I agree that the hobovator with a good thermostat (which I have) can do the job. I have had 5 successful seasons with it. Here's why I want to move on to something else:

in the summer in New England without air conditioning it gets up into the high 80's if not more in my room where I keep the incubator. That means that for many of the summer months, I have to put the incubator in the basement. For some reason, it seems more difficult for the incubator to get up to the right heat in the basement, maybe because it's so much cooler down there. In the winter and late fall, the house is colder, sometimes in the 60's and the hobovator seems to sometimes have trouble keeping the heat where I want it. I'm attracted to the idea of an incubator that both heats and cools so I can keep it in the same place all the time without worrying about the ambient temperatures.

ALiza

robin

and i agree with you to step up because of your reasons but if the reptipro and the thinkgeek and that other one do all the same basic things like that can heat and cool at the same time (chances are they all might be the same thing and ALL of the places are buying them from the same maker) and keep your temps consistent i do not see a big difference in the $130 incubator and the $250 incubator. it seems all of these incubators have all come out around the same time, coincidence? me thinks not

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
and i agree with you to step up because of your reasons but if the reptipro and the thinkgeek and that other one do all the same basic things like that can heat and cool at the same time (chances are they all might be the same thing and ALL of the places are buying them from the same maker) and keep your temps consistent i do not see a big difference in the $130 incubator and the $250 incubator. it seems all of these incubators have all come out around the same time, coincidence? me thinks not

The reptipro maker has been on the forum to provide some explanations recently and one thing I took from his explanation is that just because the outside looks the same, the insides may not be the same. I have no personal experience with this, but I sort of got the impression that the external design would be more cost effective to make in a standard way (I don't know that the makers of these incubators fabricate every part themselves, but may contract out for some of it if it's cost effective). The real question is whether the internal workings are different. I would tend to be making a decision between the reptipro and the lllreptile models which are at least marketed as incubators. Fortunately I have a few months before I have to decide.

Aliza

robin

lets say IF they are made by the same people just marketed under different names LLL is a bigger store and can afford buy in bulk more so than a smaller business thus sell for less. it would be interesting to call LLL and ask if there is any difference and also ask reptipro the exact differences between the LLL one and reptipro

StatikStepz

www.ThePerfectGecko.com
The reptipro maker has been on the forum to provide some explanations recently and one thing I took from his explanation is that just because the outside looks the same, the insides may not be the same. I have no personal experience with this, but I sort of got the impression that the external design would be more cost effective to make in a standard way (I don't know that the makers of these incubators fabricate every part themselves, but may contract out for some of it if it's cost effective). The real question is whether the internal workings are different. I would tend to be making a decision between the reptipro and the lllreptile models which are at least marketed as incubators. Fortunately I have a few months before I have to decide.

Aliza

From what i was told, yes, they look the same externally, but internally, no. The outer "shells", as they were referred to me as, meaning the casing, are made overseas (cheaper there, i guess) and shipped here to the people of ReptiPro. When it is shipped here, it is just the outside, with no inner workings or anything in it. No motor, no fan, no thermostat, no insulation, no nothing. When they arrive here to ReptiPro, they then install everything in it by hand and put it all together. Now whether or not the outer casing of this is made overseas by the same people that make the thinkgeek or lllreptile ones, i don't know. ReptiPro is not a huge "national" company or anything with warehouses and factories everywhere... from the impression i took from it, its just a couple of guys that run it themselves, that build them all by hand and have a business out of it. Which to me, i'd rather buy from someone like that over any big name any day. There seems to be much more care and detail in the product, as they are there to make new customers, not to turn them away or lose them. (Kinda the same thing how most of the time, a little "mom-n-pop" family restaurant in some little shack or strip mall, has sooooooo much better food that will come out of it, as opposed to a national chain, like an outback steakhouse or something, lol)

So i think that is what the difference is. That the people at Reptipro have hand picked what components/parts should go into it, when originally designing how they wanted it to be, to ultimately make it a better device.

I'm not by any means a spokesperson for them, just stating how they explained it to me on the phone.

StatikStepz

www.ThePerfectGecko.com
So then give them a call.. the number is on their site... lol

He's a nice guy and will answer anything you throw at him... TRUST me, lol (...did u happen to read what i had originally posted on the other thread when i was curious about the differences too??? lmao)

robin

no to be honest i would rather them give the specifications on their site. that way it is in writing and they won't be telling one person one thing and the other another. not that i don't trust them, well i don't simply because i do not know them and LLL has been a trusted place for herp supplies for many years

Visit our friends