Geckohenge!

Autonerd

To go with my slate flooring, I decided to build slate hides. My idea was to build a couple of balconies, of sorts, that would serve both as hides and as additional places for Frankie to walk around.

The basic hot hide is a 6x6 roof with two 3x6 walls (3" high) I used tile adhesive to hold them together, figuring (hoping) that if this goop is strong enough to hold these tiles to a wall, they'll hold the pieces together.

For the cold side of the tank, I've built a taller structure that encompasses a 6x6 platform held up 6" by two 3x6s set on end. Next to that is a lower 3x6 platform supported against one of the tall-hide walls on one side and a 3x6 on the other side. The idea is to put the Tupperware humid hide under the tall section.

I'm still working out what goes in the middle... probably another platform and a ramp to the top of the tall hide.

However, I'm having second thoughts about all this, because I went to move the large hide and one of the sections broke off. Granted, I was only about 8 hours into the 24-hour cure time of the adhesive. So I'm going to give the parts more time to dry, but if they don't seem secure, I'll toss 'em and go for Plan B. The pieces are VERY heavy and I don't want any accidents -- plus my plan is to remove them for cleaning, so if they won't hold together, they're no good to me.

So far I put the hot hide and a temporary middle piece into the tank, and Frankie immediately climbed up top, so I think he likes 'em. A couple of pics (I'm not sure how to insert photos from other sites, sorry)...

Building the forms:
building_forms.jpg

The tall (but potentially fragile) hide:
gh_bigform.jpg

Frankie tries out the slate:
gh_1.jpg

Autonerd

Update: Construction of Geckohenge is not going well -- the large form is proving to be a real problem. Because of the layered nature of the slate, the supporting walls break off pretty easily. I've tried a new piece of slate for the platform, but with 24 hours of drying time each time I make a change... as my wife Robin put it, "Exactly how long is that gecko going to live?"

That, and I'm not 100% happy with the way it looks.

Soooo, I'm thinking of switching to a different material... just don't know what. I could recreate Geckohenge in terra cotta, assuming that would work better with the adhesive. Or learn to make foam rocks, which would eliminate the weight and fit problems. Time to go do some thinkin'...

steve905

SLate is a highly compressed clay particle that has turned to stone over the years. If it keeps breaking at your joints I'd reccommend construction adhesive. Its about $3 per tube at home depot. Otherwise if its scaling thats anovther story all together. Depending on the slate it can and will flake off small bits with time sealing them will help with water absorbshon. Good luck

Autonerd

Thanks Steve - I think scaling is what's happening. We'll see if the new slate deck I assembled helps the problem. If not, it's time for plan b... grout-covered styrofoam!

Visit our friends