Having a child to save a child!?

Retribution Reptiles

Stripe King
It's not just a matter of doing anything it would take. It's a matter of can I afford another child, do i want my wife to have to go through pregnancy again, do i want to run the risk that this may not work and me having all these medical bills.

Other then just my personal ethics it has alot to do with logically does it make sense.

KelliH

It's not just a matter of doing anything it would take. It's a matter of can I afford another child, do i want my wife to have to go through pregnancy again, do i want to run the risk that this may not work and me having all these medical bills.

Other then just my personal ethics it has alot to do with logically does it make sense.

I know what you are saying but what it really boils down to is a chance to save your child's life. I can promise you if you had a child and there was even a slim chance to save it's life in any way possible you would do whatever you could. Just trust me on that.

herpencounter

Herpencounter.com
So its ethically wrong to have a child to save a child, but its not ethically wrong to let a child die KNOWING you could have done something to save them???? I now see the logic in that reasoning!

Josiah...

JordanAng420

So its ethically wrong to have a child to save a child, but its not ethically wrong to let a child die KNOWING you could have done something to save them???? I now see the logic in that reasoning!

Josiah...

Maybe this should be moved to the ethics section...i'm kinda feeling the heat, here. :)

There's always SOMETHING you can do in most situations. It's usually a matter of if you're capable of handling the responsibility, and that you're prepared for the consequences, whatever they may be.

herpencounter

Herpencounter.com
Maybe this should be moved to the ethics section...i'm kinda feeling the heat, here. :)

There's always SOMETHING you can do in most situations. It's usually a matter of if you're capable of handling the responsibility, and that you're prepared for the consequences, whatever they may be.

If it seemed like I came off a bit hot that was NOT intended. LOL. Apologies...

I was just saying it the way I see it =P

Last edited:

Shera

Well, that's true. Children aren't born selfish at all, and that's not what I was trying to say. This kid might end up being proud as heck for playing such a positive role...

I was just saying that he or she may have some psychological difficulties with the entire situation as well, and may or may not have some problems with it at some point.

I obviously don't have children of my own. But I would do anything for my child, if I had one. My concern is for the kids mental well-being.

I dunno, my husband wouldn't have been conceived had his older brother not been born with hydroencephalitis and was, as a result, severely mentally disabled. He knows he was a replacement for a "child gone wrong" (this is the attitude of my in-laws, not my own), but he feels selfishly happy that that was the way things were, because otherwise he wouldn't have been. As a whole it causes him zero mental strife though.

At the worst this child might feel guilty that his brother had to be sick for him to be born (especially if things don't turn out well for his brother), but I don't think he will struggle with feeling used.

I might take issue with the whole "picking and choosing" the genetics of our offspring, but really, I'm still not sure how I feel about it. There have been a lot of unrealistic movies made on the subject, but I'm not really sure how it would impact society in reality.

Last edited:

herpencounter

Herpencounter.com
I might take issue with the whole "picking and choosing" the genetics of out offspring, but really, I'm still not sure how I feel about it. There have been a lot of unrealistic movies made on the subject, but I'm not really sure how it would impact society in reality.

Do you have a problem with taking out genes that could be bad for him/her (or putting in good genes)? Or do you have problems with people saying I want a kid with blue eyes and blond hair?

Just asking because I know people that have a problem with ALL genetic engineering...

Last edited:

Barbel

None of that matters when your child is hurt or especially dying. You will do ANYTHING to save them even if that means putting your own life at risk or living in debt and struggling the rest of your life. Your child's life is worth much more than any of that. It doesn't make sense to just let your child die! Even if there is only a 1% chance it will work, you are going to try it. And coming from a woman who HATED being pregnant, I would be pregnant ten times over if it meant saving my baby.

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
I can't have anymore kids, but if I could, I would definitely do it. I would do anything to save my daughter's life if she was sick.

Shera

Do you have a problem with taking out genes that could be bad for him/her (or putting in good genes)? Or do you have problems with people saying I want a kid with blue eyes and blond hair?

Just asking because I know people that have a problem with ALL genetic engineering...

Just the blong hair blue eyes thing. I'm all for genetic research for medical purposes. I guess as a species natural selection is basically non existent now, so in order to "evolve" any further, I think we kind of have to do it ourselves. I'm just not sure of what the ramifications would be.

herpencounter

Herpencounter.com
I guess as a species natural selection is basically non existent now, so in order to "evolve" any further, I think we kind of have to do it ourselves. I'm just not sure of what the ramifications would be.

Yes we are lol. If you have a gene that prevents you from getting X disease its going to be better than any drug. Our brain... people now can probably proses information and save it better than our ancestors did (just guessing on that but it seems pretty reasonable in my opinion). Now what you see with your eyes probably wont change much at all, but under your skin is a different story.

Even if we made the perfect human genetically, there is still going to be something that will kill them... guess where we are going to get more genes... from mutations. If a new disease swept through our "perfect" population of humans the ones to survive will most likely be the ones with the good mutated gene =o

2 cents =P

If anybody think they know better, and thinks I made a mistake, correct me. Your never going to learn if you keep doing the same bad thing over, and over, the only thing you will learn is how to do the same bad thing over, and over. LOL

Josiah. :D

goReptiles

I saw a TV show like this. It was House or Private Practice or something, I forget. The couple had a second child to get the umbilical cord fluid to save the first child. The mom didn't care to hold the new baby or anything. The only reason she wanted the child was to save the first. Then, when there wasn't enough blood in the cord, she was like, well let's have another baby to get more blood. The doctors had to talk her out of it bc it would have taken way to long and the first child wouldn't make it through the 9 months.

I agree to do whatever it is to save your child, but if you really don't want the second child, some people may regret the second child if it doesn't match the first or for some reason the first child still dies and the second child couldn't help.

The nurses on that show, were like "wow this child is going to have a happy life." the parents really didn't want the second child. I know it was only a show, but it happens in real life, too.

goReptiles

I don't have a problem with taking out bad genes or genes that could cause problems, but I don't think people should get to choose what color eyes their kid has or what color hair. To me, that should be left to a higher power to choose. When you get to choose what your kids look like, that's a little much.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
I don't have a problem with taking out bad genes or genes that could cause problems, but I don't think people should get to choose what color eyes their kid has or what color hair. To me, that should be left to a higher power to choose. When you get to choose what your kids look like, that's a little much.

IMO if there really is some "higher power", and I don't believe that to be the case, it has done a rather poor job with our genetics. I have a lot more trust in human scientists than a mysterious and unknowable deity.

mindgamer8907

IMO if there really is some "higher power", and I don't believe that to be the case, it has done a rather poor job with our genetics. I have a lot more trust in human scientists than a mysterious and unknowable deity.

+1 :main_yes:

Barbel

Out of curiosity I posted this topic on my mommy forum. Every single person so far has responded that they would have a baby to save their child's life without hesitation; especially since it is just taking the cord blood. Many of them also made the point that they would love the new baby just as much as the rest of their children. It also seems that this is more common than I (and probably some of you) first believed. Several of them have recalled hearing stories about this on their local news. One even mentioned a couple in their 40s having a baby to save their 18 year old daughter. Pretty amazing to me!

sunshinegeckofarm

Obsessed with Leos
I do not have children or a child but if i did i would do anything in my power to save their life even if it meant having a another for it but the new child would not be harmed in the process of helping save its older siblings life. I support stem cell research and genetic research to help eliminate common diseases such as cancer and such. Though i dont think it would be right to play with genes to pick its eyes, hair or whatever but the genes that control whether it will be healthy and stuff like that is not a bad thing and should be embraced for its technology to save peoples lives.

Visit our friends