Heat Mat + Product Recommendations?

le0pardg3ck0s

Hello, again!
I am hoping to adopt a leopard gecko sometime, but first I am expanding my knowledge on them. Does anyone have any reliable heat mat or thermometers(probe??)that they recommend?
thanks!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
There are a lot of heat mats around that I haven't tried yet. My favorite thing, though, is Zoomed heat cable. It's a rubberized cable that you tape to the bottom of the enclosure. The best thing about it is that you can remove it and use it somewhere else. Once you remove the heat mat it's often no good anymore. For a 20 gallon long tank use a 14' or 25' cable (6' of the cable is unheated). The best place I've found to get them is on eBay in terms of price. The best tape to use is "Nashua tape" sold at most home improvement stores. It's in a roll shaped like duct tape but this stuff is like aluminum foil with an adhesive backing (and peel off paper). It works better than anything else I've tried.

I have done fine with the thermostat now made by Zilla or ESU. It's around $30 and they have worked well for me for over 15 years.

Aliza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
As long as you install it outside the cage under the bottom (not inside the cage between the carpet and the floor the cage) and use a thermostat it will be fine.

Aliza

Visit our friends