Heat packs for emergencies?

Arconna

We just had a power outage for the last three days here in SC and it was a living heck...I went through so many of those little hand warmer things from the sports store.
So I'm here asking if anyone has a recommendation of a better, more efficient and longer lasting product that I could use in such emergencies? Preferably something I can buy online since I might not have the stores you have where I live. I don't have a generator, unfortunately, so I need solutions for power outages and the like.

Any help here from you guys would be great.

Thanks

rubym

We had a small kerosene heater but there was an issue with my asthma so we can't use it in the house. I went out and bought about 50 of the large size heater things. They are like the hand warmers but bigger. They are used for the sleeping bags and are supposed to heat for up to 24 hours. Jopefully we never have to find out. I also have the plastic carrying cases store in the closet so we can put them in those if the power should go out. I figured those are easier to heat then their tanks.

P

PacHerp

my experience...

I got some of those large ones form my local sports store just this weekend...

as you all might know, we've been having some nasty weather out here in California, it was 45-55 degrees, wind up to 65 mph, and tons of rain. Well, the power went out, and was out for over 24 hours. Those heat packs saved me!!! I recommend getting the larger ones for emergencies, they worked great for all my geckos! :)

paulnj

I would need a truck load of heat packs. I have 4 huge fish shipping boxes, 50+ 40hr heat packs.... a generator is coming to keep my (alot) eggs cooking just incase too.

Deli cup up the geckos, put them in the boxes and add heat packs is how I would do it with a generator to run all my racks. My god, I have 192 feet of heat tape running:main_lipsrsealed:

Last edited:
L

LeopardGeckoMom52688

My dad just bought a geny. We are going to use it to heat my geckos. If not I will go out and buy a cheap one for myself to run just my heat tape and incubators!

P

PacHerp

yes, those will work.. but I'll tell ya, I got 40 from a large sports store chain, for 30 bucks...

Leopardbreeder

I am running my incubator on a APC battery backup. Although they are expensive sometimes, they can save eggs. They are not powerful enough to power a rack though.

Visit our friends