hey im newww!!! come check out my 3 leos .. male bell albino!

fallen_angel

Fallen Angel's Geckos
I like the way the log looks, but do the geckos ever really use it? They are mostly terrestrial, but I know they do enjoy climbing a thing or two :)

E

edp82

I liked the look of sand too, and kept leopards on sand for years, and only one gecko had problems.
Without it, cleaning is so much simpler.
I've only seen 1 gecko eat the sand, and it might be because the sand was white, and the gecko thought it was calcium.
Do whatever you want, its your set up.

thanks man! yeah the breeder i got them from has been in the business for 12 years... and has only used sand as substrate.. i could go on and on about what he said but the point is he said its fine. just feed them on a regular.

Agreed, Do whatever you want with your setup.
:main_thumbsup:

And exactly how long have you been keeping leos?
bout 70 years

I think we should stop being critics, if we think there is a problem then we could pm the person but I don't think it needs to be done publicly. So, Welcome to the community there are a lot of people here that know a lot about this hobby and I hope that we can also learn some things from you as well. Great looking geckos.
thank you!

Welcome to the forums. I love your male, I especially like the pic where he is on top of the two girls with that look like "this is my harem" Good luck with them they are all real cuties.
i know! that pic was hilarious... i was suprised because i didnt know both females were in there.. thought it was just the one.

ok, so dont ditch the sand, but what type sand is that? It doesnt look like the type ive seen used in the reptile trade before? Do you really have Cati in your gecko tank?!!!
On the other hand those 2 normals are NIce! Dont get to see nice normals very often!
hmm i forget what the brand or type of sand it is... its a custom mix.. i have half purple sand mixed with half glow in the dark.. i usually change the sand every other month.
I do have cacti in the tank..:eek: i ran my hand over the tops to get rid of most of the spikes... the leos are smart though they dont climb on them.. im going to be changing them next time the sand comes out... i heard "succulant" plants are better?

I like the way the log looks, but do the geckos ever really use it? They are mostly terrestrial, but I know they do enjoy climbing a thing or two :)
OH ya the log is wicked! sometimes they climb up and bask under the heat light a bit.. but they mostly use it for stalking their pray... i should have taken a picture the first time i introduced meal worms... all 3 of them went on the log and were hangin down to see the warms in the cup.. the smaller female usually hangs out up there more often than the others... then the male, and the dominant female on occasion.

Anyhow thanks again guys for all the constructive critisism and encouragement!

gotta get on my way..their is an exotic reptile show today in my area.. i'll take some pics

cya!

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
Very cute geckos! I have the same concerns as everyone else though. Also, the male should be housed separately since you just got him. I really like your females!

Zynx_Keekeio

OH HOHOHO you started the sand debate XD

*grumbles to stay nice, the forum has taught her to be way to judgmental about sand and the housing of geckos*

Welcome

I too disagree with the sand, and housing the male constantly with the females. stresses em out a bit too much. Just my say :)

Anyways
the setups are awesome!

Last edited:

Ultrakd

Gecko Geeks
I think we should stop being critics, if we think there is a problem then we could pm the person but I don't think it needs to be done publicly. So, Welcome to the community there are a lot of people here that know a lot about this hobby and I hope that we can also learn some things from you as well. Great looking geckos.

Agreed....Anyways you got some nice geckos. Welcome also :main_thumbsup::main_thumbsup:

F

Foreverandever

Love the pic of the leos big butt hanging out of the den! LOL

And welcome

E

edp82

thanks guys!

hey whats wrong with the male being in there all the time???? i find he actually tries to get away from the females, they seem to follow him around....

the tank is a komodo exotic pet tank... i have an exotera tank but i dont like the quality of them... this komodo tank is amazing! a bit pricy but worth it.

Ultrakd

Gecko Geeks
thanks guys!

hey whats wrong with the male being in there all the time???? i find he actually tries to get away from the females, they seem to follow him around....

the tank is a komodo exotic pet tank... i have an exotera tank but i dont like the quality of them... this komodo tank is amazing! a bit pricy but worth it.

Having him in there constantly he will try to breed, and it will eventually stress them out. It may seem like when you check on them he isn't bothering them but at night or when your not around he may be. Or if he has bred them and they are gravid(have eggs) he may continue to try breeding them and will just end up stressing them out. Its just usually better to house them seperatly.

Alusdra

I've found that if the male has always been in with the female, then they don't try to breed. No idea why. Separate them and try to put them back together, though, and they will suddenly realize- "OMG.... you're like... a girl?" Probably they only need to be separated if the females are laying eggs or there are aggression issues and the owner does not want to breed.

Not to get into the sand debate... but I have a feeling that whatever that is isn't what the breeder was talking about when he said 'sand'. Impaction aside, the coloring on that stuff might be toxic.

crotaphytidae

The sand that is being used is T-rex brand calci-sand, I think. The sand that they make is perfectly safe for sand desert reptiles as far as any chemicals though there have been numerous reports of impaction from calci-sand on leos and beardies alike.

Visit our friends