Hi! there !

SpOuK-3-

Just got here :) nice to meet you all !

I just got my gecko leopard today ... Ill post some pictures soon !

I'm sure ill have a lot of question soon !

see ya!

SpOuK-3-

He's still too much nervous ... he's sniffing my hand but then he go away slowly... Ill wait till he's more friendly... less nervous !

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Welcome to GeckoForums.net! You have a very nice set-up, but sand is inappropriate as a substrate for juvenile leopard geckos, as it can cause intestinal impaction. Have you thought about using tile or slate as a substrate?

BalloonzForU

WOW That viv looks beautiful. But as Marcia said sand is not safe for small leos. Once he's an adult cleaned play sand, not the calci sand you have there, can be used with less risk. There would still be a risk as with any loose substrate, so that would be something that you'll want to decide if you want to take the risk. However, he is a little cutie.

SpOuK-3-

that's what i'm reading about right now ... I think ill change the sand ... Maybe I can put very small rocks instead !

BalloonzForU

SpOuK-3- said:
that's what i'm reading about right now ... I think ill change the sand ... Maybe I can put very small rocks instead !

Maybe slate tile then large rock formations. Smaller rocks could be a risk too if the leo managed to get one in it's mouth.

SpOuK-3-

girlfriend is going @ the petshop right now ... she will talk with someone i know @ this store ... and she will bring the best thing for my leo ! :)

Maybe large rocks or small rocks (bigger than his mouth) so he won't eat it !

N

Nastynotch

welcome.

good luck with the new leo.

*cough* ive always used small gravel for my geckos and nothings ever happend.

but you better listen to these guys rather than me.

o ya and tiles works well too.

SpOuK-3-

Yup! but now my friend @ the petshop told my girlfriend it's a special sand with calcium that melt in water or in stomac ... it's for baby reptile .. like my leo ...

That I have nothing to worry about with this kind of sand ... So .. my girlfriend came back to house with worms and crickets + calcium + a blacklite instead of a red light cause yesterday i've put a red light and my leo stop moving and run under a rock and never moved till I turn off the red light ... SO! he told me some gecko can feel agressed with a red light even if they are not supposed to see it ... Well ... Maybe someone can answer all those question :)

Thanks again to everyone :D hope my leo will eat all those crickets and worms ! :)

Val

Calcium sand is actually worse for geckos then regular sifted play sand.

**The link below takes you to VERY graphic images of a calci-sand impacted leo after a necropsy.

http://homepage.mac.com/exoticdvm/reptile/PhotoAlbum181.html

I've never heard anything about the color of light bothering or changing the aggressiveness of a leo. I personally really like the blue bulbs because it looks a lot like moonlight for the little guys. I hope this helps!

SpOuK-3-

eurk !

my sand look smaller than that ... it's like sugar and it melt in water ... ive tested it ... I'm afraid that something is going to append to my leo now :(

Petshop (my friend) told me that they never loose a leo because of the "sand" they use ... (the same has me) and that they are all in good shape ...

OK you are a couple to told me it's not good ... and after those picture ... I'm freaking out because there's blood everywhere ! lolololol

SpOuK-3-

I think he's scared of me :( I tried to take him in my hand ... but he try to bite my finger ..... Is it better to try in the morning or in the night when he's more active ... I tried to take him after I feed him maybe thats why he tried to bite me ...... I don't want him to be afraid of me ... when i touch him he always try to attack my hand and he make this sound I can't describe....

SpOuK-3-

someone have an idea ?? Am I going too fast for him ... Is it better to wait a couple days for him to be safe in his new cage ??

GoGo

I'm Watching You
Geckos think their all that and a bag of chips, especially babies. So they will try to bite. But bites dont hurt from leo's usually. I handeled my geckos straight from when we got them and now they all love us and dont ususally try to bite or squeak or growl when we pick them up.

Get rid of the calci sand. Do it NOW. Buy reptile carpet, not the green stuff that comes in crappy bags but better looking reptile carpet of a better quality, its still not expensive.

Judging by the size of yoru leo id get rid of the current water dish you have, it might drown.

Your gecko looks to be young, juvenile sized. So they need alot of care. Once again get rid of that sand, also mealies are easier then crickets because you can leave them in the tank in a dish they cant escape, they dont make noise, and they dont SMELL. And watch what calcium you use, too much d3 can be toxic.

N

Nastynotch

SpOuK-3- said:
someone have an idea ?? Am I going too fast for him ... Is it better to wait a couple days for him to be safe in his new cage ??

you've just changed his enviroment and placed him in a new home. hes probably a little stressed at the moment, which means he may not want to eat either. i strongly suggest just giving him a day or two to adjust.

and i highly doubt any gecko is going to swallow enough sand to compact himeself and burst into flames :main_evilgrin: .IMO you really shouldnt worry about killing him like that. so instead of running to the petstore 20 times a day, just kind of let your leos relax. then maybe think about changing the bedding.

Visit our friends