Hi! there !

GoGo

I'm Watching You
Other problems with calci-sand:
Easily clumps togeather and sticks when wet
Is eaten when your gecko bites up a cricket
Alot can get licked up, leo's like their calcium, my male used to lick at his sand all the time in the petstore.

SpOuK-3-

Ill do this tomorrow morning ... now store are closed ... Ill check for the carpet you told me ... ill change the setup ... and for my leo .. ill take care of it :) don't worry! ill try to handle it tonight before i feed him ... he eat a lot 4 criket and 2 worms !

GoGo

I'm Watching You
Very good with the vit. Juist some advice, avoid Vit. Sup's. with D3, that can be toxic if a leo gets overdosed, which they get very easily.

N

Nastynotch

GoGo said:
Oh one other thing, T-Rex has a leopard gecko supp just for leo's, it has d3, but a minnimal ammount, thats what i use.

though its not good for a gecko to get too much d3, its also important that they get some. (ive never actually seen a gecko die from d3 overdoes though)

just use regular supp. two or three times a week and it should be perfectly fine. it just voids bone problems in the future. Its not something you have to search high and low for

P

pawsfoot

I would also suggest maybe getting rid of the potted plant in the setup. Your leo can eat the potting soil or dirt in the plant and that may cause an impaction. I second the mealworms, they are easier and my geckos like them more.

SpOuK-3-

gecko eat well since 2 days ... he's not eating the plant ... he's sleeping on it ... tonight I took my leo in my hand for about an hour and a half ... :D really happy and he never tried to bite me ...

Stitch

SpOuK-3- said:
gecko eat well since 2 days ... he's not eating the plant ... he's sleeping on it ... tonight I took my leo in my hand for about an hour and a half ... :D really happy and he never tried to bite me ...

As mentioned sand is not good for young leos. Wait until the gecko is about 8 inches long before you use sand. If you decide to go back to sand use sand that doesn't contain calcium. Because if he decides he needs more calcium he will start to eat it for the calcium and that is when he will become impacted. Oh, just because you don't see him eat the dirt doesn't mean he won't do it while you are sleeping. While using a red light it will allow them to see their reflection. So he might have seen his own and frightened himself. You can fix that by moving the light farther from the cage. I have a red light in the corner of my room and it gives off enough light to light up the room. Unless you are using it as a heat source, I'd move away from the cage. Give your leo time to settle into his new home.

SpOuK-3-

plant is removed from the cage ... ive put a artificial one with peat moss at the bottom ... so it's kinda humid ... he always sleep @ the bottom ...

P

pawsfoot

This is what a leopard gecko enclosure should have in it.
1 substrate (reptile carpet, paper towels, slate, tile, something of the sort that can't break apart and be eaten)
1 cool hide (this is something your gecko can hide under and sleep in during the daytime, on the cool side of the cage)
1 UTH (under tank heater, it's like a heating pad only for reptiles, this should be under 1/3 of the cage, do not put it in the middle, put it on one side underneath the cage, it provides warmth)
1 humid hide (this has moisture in it, so something like EcoEarth that is moistened or wet paper towels, on the hot side on top of the UTH)
1 food dish if you are going to feed mealworms (i like to put my calcium in the bottom of my mealworm dish so when my geckos grab a mealworm they get a little calcium)
1 dish for water (it has to be shallow enough that your gecko will not drown)
1 thermometer so you can check the temperature (it shouldn't be a sticky one that goes on the side of the cage, it should have a probe that can lay on the cage floor)
a light dimmer or something of that sort, or a thermostat so you can regulate the temperature, you plug your UTH into this
and you should have vitamins that you sprinkle on the feeder insects once a week.
Did I miss anything guys?

brandy101010

pawsfoot said:
This is what a leopard gecko enclosure should have in it.
1 substrate (reptile carpet, paper towels, slate, tile, something of the sort that can't break apart and be eaten)
1 cool hide (this is something your gecko can hide under and sleep in during the daytime, on the cool side of the cage)
1 UTH (under tank heater, it's like a heating pad only for reptiles, this should be under 1/3 of the cage, do not put it in the middle, put it on one side underneath the cage, it provides warmth)
1 humid hide (this has moisture in it, so something like EcoEarth that is moistened or wet paper towels, on the hot side on top of the UTH)
1 food dish if you are going to feed mealworms (i like to put my calcium in the bottom of my mealworm dish so when my geckos grab a mealworm they get a little calcium)
1 dish for water (it has to be shallow enough that your gecko will not drown)
1 thermometer so you can check the temperature (it shouldn't be a sticky one that goes on the side of the cage, it should have a probe that can lay on the cage floor)
a light dimmer or something of that sort, or a thermostat so you can regulate the temperature, you plug your UTH into this
and you should have vitamins that you sprinkle on the feeder insects once a week.
Did I miss anything guys?

Yes you forgot the gecko! Lol J/K

SpOuK-3-

everything is in there .... I have 3 hides ... 1 humid 1 cold 1 hot ...

ive taken the temp in night ... and during the day ... temps are OK .. I think everything is just fine ...

Another question... sometimes my gecko feel to be taken out of the cage ... sometimes ... he's not ... He smell my hand and turn around ... sometimes he sniff my hand and go on it so I can take him out .... is this normal ??

P

pawsfoot

HAHA. Thanks Brandy, I knew my cages were missing something.

Yes this is normal, do you always want to be messed with? I think geckos have their good days and bad days. As it gets to knwo you a little more and sees your hand as less and less of a threat it will have less bad days.

Stitch

Don't forget that your hand temperature is very close to what they require. So sometimes they will just lay on it to get warm.

SpOuK-3-

sand is removed from the cage ... I now use some kind of rip nuts for small leo like mine ... thats it ... now lets learn him some tricks :p

like: "Gimme your leg!!" yeah !! LloLLloLO

Visit our friends