How safe is it to get a second leopard gecko?

jschaf1

Hey everyone. So I have been enjoying my new gecko "cosmo" for sometime. I have had her for almost a month and she is happy, healthy and gaining weight. But once again I find myself having the itch to get another. My current gecko is a female anout 8 months old. I have her in 20gal long long tank with the following dimensions: 30''L x 12.5''W x 12.5''H. I would really like to get a second gecko but I am very worried of them fighting. I am not interested in breeding so I don't need a male/female combo. The personality of my current gecko seems pretty friendly.

What do you all think? What is the likely hood of problems between them if I add another. And I am not talking about health issues like Crypto or other stuff. I know how to spot that stuff and I know about quarantining first. My question stricly has to do with fighting.

So my question is how likely are two geckos to fight and what is the safest combo: female:female or male:female.

It seems like there are alot of people here with more than one gecko so I am hoping that is a good sign. By the way I may be willing to get a slightly larger tank (40 Gal) if it helps but if you feel that is necessary please say so. I would prefer though to keep my current tank if its possible.

Thanks guys!!!!!

MichaelJ

CelebrityGeckos.Com
Two females will do great together! Most females are content to share their living space with another. You'll want to make sure they are of similar weight and length to avoid any dominance issues. If one is larger than the other, they tend to dominate the food source and hides. So if they are relatively the same size and similar disposition, they will do great together!

First things first: You'll have to quarantine the new gecko for at least 60 days in her own tank before you allow her to move in with yours to ensure there are no health concerns.

20-gallon long is perfect for two females. Good luck!! :main_thumbsup:

jschaf1

Thanks MichaelJ! About the quarantine I have a question. If I bought my gecko directly from a breeder (I have had my eye on this female from TheUrbanGecko for 3 months now) would quarantine still be necessary?

If anyone else has any opinions about putting two geckos together please join in. Plus what is the best way to introduce them? Do I just plop the new one in with the old one right away (after quarantine of course).

Last edited:

ElapidSVT

lolwut?
it's not really speaking directly to the subject... but that's the beginning of the addiction. one.. then just one more.. then just one more...
:)

as long as there's more hides than geckos, the females will get along nicely. there is a pecking order that will be established so just make sure the low gal gets enough food and you're fine.

jschaf1

I know what you mean ElapidSVT. When I look at geckos its almost like I see collectible works of art. I just want to buy every single one that catches my eye. But I have to be reasonable. I am on a strict pet budget and honestly my living space is quite limited so I probably wouldn't be able to accomodate anything larger than a 40gal tank and that would be really pushing it. I hope it will stop at two if I can find the right one to satisfy my "fix". Actually I ive in Montreal and there will be a reptile show here in two weeks. I think I will wait for the show and see if anything catches my eye there. That would probably be best.

Let me know if anyone has tips on the best way top introduce two females and please if anybody else has any opinions on the subject of this thread please don't be shy. All opinions are welcomed!!! :)

gmaier19

I would clean and disinfect the entire enclosure right before introducing the two. I would also add a brand new hide or two (with more geckos you should have more hides) at the same time. this will help with any territorial issues that could possibly arise because everything will seem new to both geckos.

one of my geckos is growing fast and i'll put her in with my other 2 adult geckos soon. i have periodically given them carefully monitored visitations so they know each other before being thrown in together over night. i would do the same just to be sure they are compatible. and maybe have a spray bottle ready if they decide to bite. hope that helps.

Visit our friends