I get the first post!! Eyelid notch

Would you breed and/or buy an offspring from a gecko with a similar defect?

• Yes, I would breed such a gecko and purchase normal looking offspring.

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • Yes, I would purchase normal looking offspring, but would not breed such a gecko.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Yes, I would breed such a gecko in my care, but I would not purchase any offspring.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • No, I would not want anything to do with such a gecko or it's offspring.

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters

GekkoGalaksen

I just love this forum and is right now learning a lot of new things!
I have never heard before that defekt eyelids can be a result of to little vitamin A during conception...
And, well it makes me happy to hear!

I had a pair of Tangerine Hybinos, not related to each other. Last year we got a lot of nice offsprings from them...

This year something happend to the female...
I breed her with the male ONE time in the start of the breeding season, and after just 10 days she layed the first eggs. They where "empty", 10 days after she layed new ones. She produced some month 4 cluches! She layed the first ones in the start of March and the last late August...
She didn´t eat...we tryed to force feed her, but it came up again, we sent feces tests...but there was nothing!

In the end of the summer she was like a skelleton, but she was moving around and didn´t behave lika a sick gecko...and she layed eggs!!!
I can tell you that I was frustrated...

In September she started to eat and I was so happy...in the middle of October she died.

I have no answer on what happend to her and I didn´t have you guys to ask:(
But I know we did all that we could...

Well to make a long story short ;) ...all the eggs were "empty" exept one and out hatched a gecko with deformed eyelids and ofcurse it can be beacuse the female didn´t eat and got the right amount of vitamins.

The gecko is a big good looking male today, with no problems.
We gave him to a good friend who loves him and I know how much he wants to "test" breed him to one of he´s females.
Maybe he can give it a try...

Eyecut.jpg

27.jpg

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
What a beautiful gecko! It's a shame about the eye lids, but I honestly do not think it is genetic either. A few years ago, I switched my supplementation to a different brand (Sandfire Leopard Gecko ICB) and had many infertile eggs, egg failures, and most of the ones that did hatch had this type of deformity. As soon as I switched back to my normal supplementation (Rep-Cal Herptivite), I have not had any problems since.

marula

i'm so sorry for your female...is really bad when you can't understand what happend...
he look really nice...
you see in my post before...i have a blizzard female with this kind of problem...
next year i test her for see if she pass the problem... i read a lot about that after i has purcased her and everybody think is not a genetic trait...

Dragoon Gecko

Hi together!
In 2005, my best hatchling turned out to have the same abnomality to one eye:eek: .
I gave him away to friends which do not breed with him. It was very hard for me, but I would never used him for breeding and did not care whether it was genetic or not: Personally, for me this risk is too high!
Since then, I heared mutch times about this problem: We had some cases in our reptiles-hospital, and in most cases we found no reasons in bad housing or feeding, nor temperatures :(.
So, I would not be too sure that it's not genetic!!
Remember that the leopard gecko seems to be more inbreeding-resistant than other reptiles, but many generations are between our geckos and the wild imports now, and that even the leopard gecko is not immune against genetic abnomalities!
The desicion of course lays to every breeder..

Mutch greetings, rebecca

LeosForLess

Dragoon Gecko said:
Hi together!
In 2005, my best hatchling turned out to have the same abnomality to one eye:eek: .
I gave him away to friends which do not breed with him. It was very hard for me, but I would never used him for breeding and did not care whether it was genetic or not: Personally, for me this risk is too high!
Since then, I heared mutch times about this problem: We had some cases in our reptiles-hospital, and in most cases we found no reasons in bad housing or feeding, nor temperatures :(.
So, I would not be too sure that it's not genetic!!
Remember that the leopard gecko seems to be more inbreeding-resistant than other reptiles, but many generations are between our geckos and the wild imports now, and that even the leopard gecko is not immune against genetic abnomalities!
The desicion of course lays to every breeder..

Mutch greetings, rebecca

Heres my thought, i had eggs laid on the same day by 2 females, mack X normal and tang albino X tang albino, im guessing the mack was more inbred than the tang albinos, my incubator shot up for a while and deformed the mack babies, but not the albino babies. So i think the question"how come geckos dont need a hovabator in the wild to keep stabe temps" may be because we inbreed too much in captivity

bleeding_sarcasm

Rockstar
I have something related, and semi-related to add.

First, I personally wouldnt breed an animal with an eye deformity. We have hatched out a few like this, from different groups, along with animals that have other deformities [noticeably short tails, etc] and we have also given them away to friends who wont breed them.

oh a semi-related note. Who here would pay $1900 for an animal with this deformity? I wont mention who, but there is a breeder, currently offering an enigma male with this eye deformity. If you believe that there is no chance that it is genetic, then this could be a great deal to get a male.... Since I feel that it is "unknown" [not for sure either way] what the origins of this wide-spread deformity are, its far better to be safe then sorry. And I wouldnt knowingly purchase "possible het" offspring from a deformed animal, Since I wouldnt personally sell the deformed offspring from those breeding efforts, every animal that hatched out like that, that would have to be culled, or given away, would be a "loss" .

ByRandom

Deliriously Random
Actually, it looks like most of that breeder's male Enigmas are going for that much.... So obviously the eye-thing wasn't that big of a deal to them...?

G

Gecko

The reason high temps cause deformities is the ground is relatively stable in temperture.

Most deformities IMO are from vit. deficiencies in some form. I'm not conviced there's a single product out there that could be used alone that provides complete nutrion. . .

The other thing is a heavily producing female starts to run out of stuff eventually even on a good diet . ..

Okee Reps

Okeechobee Reptiles
Any final results? Was the eye-lid deformity passed on or did you hatch perfectly normal looking offspring?

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
Unfortunatly he died of unknown causes about a year later. I never had the chance to breed him. Since then I've seriously cut back on the number of geckos I have, and I have no plans of breeding the ones I have for at least a few years. Some other brave breeder will have to try this one out.

Visit our friends