I think my gecko is going blind

gecko geek

Don't give up on him yet!

He IS an albino. He is very sensitive to any light at all! When exactly are you noticing the odd behavior? Surely you must have some type of light on to be able to see that? Try covering his cage with towels or aluminum foil to keep him in the dark and it might help him tremendously. I basically rehabilitated my enigma by doing the same thing. You might want to clean out his cage too, that's quite a bit of poop.

However, if you truly are ready to give him up because of this, i'll take him if you'll ship. Think about it seriously...and PM me if you really do want to give him up. I'd be willing to try and help him.

he is in a rack so the only time he has light on is when i check on him. other than that he has no light

JordanAng420

And if the stuff is milky and pus-like...it's probably an infection that can be helped with simply a round of some good antibiotics...

If you leave the infection untreated, then the gecko WILL go blind.

JordanAng420

There were 2 in my previous post, but I have some more.

How long has this been going on?

What have you tried for treatment?

When are you noticing this behavior, and is there a general "room light" that is on during the day? I ask because I have an albino that can't even tolerate me turning on the light in the room.

Do you honestly practice good hygiene? I'll admit that I don't always. Do you wash your hands before and after handling and cleaning every time? And if you have more than one, do you wash in between each enclosure? Most people honestly don't. That's why a lot of this stuff happens.

Is the gecko kept with any other geckos? And how many other geckos do you have?

Listen, I know it's frusterating, especially with the economy nowadays and i'd imagine you probably have a lot of other geckos and lots of other personal issues to deal with as we all do. But this is one of those minor things that's going to come up with pets in general. I'm not criticizing you at all, in fact I commend you on taking action if you think you are not capable of dealing with the situation.

Just be sure you are making the right decision before you actually do it.

How often do you clean?

JordanAng420

These are the questions that were asked previously. I count 7.

When exactly are you noticing the odd behavior? Surely you must have some type of light on to be able to see that? How long has this been going on?

Do you have an albino morph and is there a light that could be causing the vision problems? Has the gecko had shedding issues before? Any eye issues at all before this? Or was this something that you just woke up one day and it was like this?

gecko geek

the behavior has been going on for about 3 days.

it is an albino, th only light it can get is from the light coming through the blinds on the window or when i check on them.

i dont wash my hands between enclosures and i completly clean the enclosures about once a week.

as of treatment i have tried soaking him and misting his cage more often to boost the humidity

JordanAng420

Is it next to the window that the light comes through the blinds?

Keep the humidity how it normally is, in fact, if you provide more you could be making it worse. Like I said before, try covering the cage and making it dark...see if that makes a difference.

There really has been a SURGE of geckos with conjunctivitis lately. I honestly have no idea why. I can tell you though, if there's pus involved, it might be time for a trip to the vet for some antibiotics.

gecko geek

the gecko hasnt opened his eyes all day. i think atleast one of th eyes has skin on it because i saw somthing that looked like skin. th cage is on the other side of the room and away from the light.

MiamiLeos

please...

pleeeeaseeeee take him to the vet please! two weeks ago i had to put one of my very much loved leos to sleep because of something like this. milky eyes, gunk, keeping them shut all day. he didnt eat, didnt move because he couldnt see. he also had an ulcer in his mouth most likely from a nasty cricket or something but thats beyond the point. i took him to the vet as soon as i noticed that it was a problem and there still wasnt enough time to save him. please understand that most if not all reptiles have a very weak immune system. once something gets them it is a fast rollercoaster downhill. there wasnt enough time to save my Elvis, but there may still be time to save your friend. please, please, take him to the vet.

Bongo

Back-woods Gecko
pleeeeaseeeee take him to the vet please! two weeks ago i had to put one of my very much loved leos to sleep because of something like this. milky eyes, gunk, keeping them shut all day. he didnt eat, didnt move because he couldnt see. he also had an ulcer in his mouth most likely from a nasty cricket or something but thats beyond the point. i took him to the vet as soon as i noticed that it was a problem and there still wasnt enough time to save him. please understand that most if not all reptiles have a very weak immune system. once something gets them it is a fast rollercoaster downhill. there wasnt enough time to save my Elvis, but there may still be time to save your friend. please, please, take him to the vet.

I completely agree with you. Take him to a vet before it is too late.

Visit our friends