I've lost Merlin... Why?

O

OsmiumVIII

I lost Merlin this weekend and I cannot figure out why so I am hoping you guys can inform me before I off another one.

I had Merlin for about 1 month. I don't know the age, but he was about 5" long. He just got over shedding with a little help from a wet q-tip. His appetite seemed to decrease during the shedding but jumped back up once the skin was off. I used to give him tap water and then switched to distilled water about two weeks ago. He was fed mealworms regularly with some crickets thrown in the mix. The air temps were 80º plus or minus a few and had a heating pad on the opposite end of the lamp in a 10 gal. tank. (I never got around to taking a surface temp.) I go home from my dorm every weekend and my suite mates take care of him meanwhile.

What did I do wrong?:eek:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you can answer these questions it will help:

Where did you get him from?

Was there any warning that he wasn't doing well, or did he just go from "fine" to "gone"?

What substrate were you keeping him on?

Aliza

O

OsmiumVIII

I got him from P e t c o. This might make you cringe... the reptile rep never mentioned ANYTHING about the calcium supplement so I'm sorry to Merlin and the rest of the Leo community.

I had him on the carpet substrate.

His appetite decreased for a while but I blamed it on winter. He seemed very lethargic during that time. I only caught him running around at night.

I just got back from P e t c o again and brought home another little feller. I will get a pic of him soon. I got a bottle of calcium supplement and read on the forum that tap water was ok so I switched back to that. I learned more from reading on this forum in 5 minutes than what the reps at P e t c o told me from numerous trips. (Thank you!)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I think it's a good idea about the calcium. Make sure you also have vitamin D3 in the calcium since that helps it metabolize the calcium. Many of us have gotten baby geckos from the same chain where you got yours (me included) and have had them grow up to be healthy geckos. That said, it's also true that the geckos that come from large chains often do not get a good start in life since they are shipped before they are old enough, overcrowded, and not given the care and attention to make sure they are eating and thriving. Sometimes that doesn't show up until they've been in someone's home for awhile. I am hoping for the best for your new little guy and am not trying to scare you into thinking that this new one won't do well. I just want to point out the possibility that Merlin's death wasn't your fault, that he may not have been in the best shape from where he came from. If you have similar problems with your new one (and I'm not saying you necessarily will) please consider not giving up on geckos and getting another from a reliable breeder. If it comes to that (and I hope it won't) or if you decide you want a second gecko, let us know where you're located and we'll see if we can recommend someone.

ALiza

Russ S

Re-Member
I used to give him tap water and then switched to distilled water about two weeks ago.
Sorry for your loss.

Someone correct me if I"m wrong, but my understanding is that distilled water isn't the best choice for use as drinking water.

P.S. I don't believe the water had anything to do with your geckos death.

O

OsmiumVIII

Wow, thanks for all the warm posts.

I haven't given up on Leos. I already love Vince (the new guy). Merlin went out in style: I made him a little box with some wet moss in it and covered the box in gecko tatoo pictures from the internet.:main_cool3: Vince helped me get past Merlin. I had no idea I was so attached to him!

E

efox

Distilled water can actually be pretty dangerous to herps.. the salts and minerals in regular tap water is essential for osmotic regulation (when water passes in and out of the body's cells) Distilled water is just "empty" water. It's also pretty heavy in hydrogen making it more acidic. When reptiles (or anyone for that matter) drink distilled water, the body actually steals minerals from the bones to neutralize the acidity. I would definitely recommend switching to bottled water.

Sorry to hear about Merlin.. I just had to give one of mine a burial today :(

Kilikina

very interesting to know about distilled water! i've never used it for my geckos or for myself for that matter, but still, intersting.

i'm so sorry about merlin :( i'm glad you have vince!

O

OsmiumVIII

Thank you for the science info on the distilled water. I had no idea before but it all makes sense now. Vince is on tap water for now, but if bottled water is better then he shall get he best!

steve905

Be sure to clean out the tank before putting in your new leo. I use a 10% bleach solution to clean up everything. THen I triple rinse, dry and allow the bleach time to evaporate the smell off before using it. Good luck!

O

OsmiumVIII

I just found out that my town's tap water has fluorine added to it for God knows why. I think it also has some calcium and some magnesium. Is the fluorine too much for a Leo?

steve905

Flourine is to make sure your teeth don't turn out like alot of the British folks teeth do. It helps with prevention of tooth decay. I've used water with it in it for several years with all of my critters and I don't seem to have a problem with them.

O

OsmiumVIII

Ok. I was just concerned. I got some bottled water from Walmart and realized after I got it back to the dorm that it is the exact same stuff as the distilled.

Tap water it is!

Visit our friends