Leo bites ?

Have you been bitten by a leo ?

• Yep and it hurts . . . thought it was going to take my finger off !

Votes: 20 7.5%
  • Yea but it doesnt hurt much

Votes: 166 62.2%
  • No - My leos would never do that to me !

Votes: 81 30.3%

• Total voters

x.shell.x

Hey so i was feeding my geckos a tasty little treat of wax worms tonight using plastic tongs and clyde missed a couple of times and got the tongs. When he bit them i could hear it and it felt like there was quite a bit of force behind it so my question is have you ever been bitten by a leopard gecko ? If so was it as painful as i now imagine it would be ? I know generally speaking a leo would run before biting but im just curious now.

Im lucky that my 2 are just so chilled out and so have never been bitten by them but id like to know now after feeding him if there is as much force behind a bite as it felt there was ?

LeopardGeckoNinja

It can be quite a shock when unexpected. But if you have quite an aggressive gecko like mine, it becomes slightly more regular. It doesn't hurt as much as it looks or sounds, if your gecko looks like he's going to bite. Make sure he bites the middle joint of your finger. It's slightly less painful and does not hurt a leo's gums as a finger nail would do.

x.shell.x

Hey thanks for the tips but i dont think im in danger of a bite. Well i hope not lol.

No it was just a surprise when he got the tongs. I had always thought there wouldnt be much to it. Kinda glad i didn't know though so i had no fear when i was first handeling them. I also think i must have just got real lucky twice with both of them being so gentle.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
My leo usually isn't a biter but he has bitten me once after I had spent some time trying to get stuck shed offa his nose. Sad part of it was I was done with the shed, and had walked with him up to my son's room to get a lil mineral oil to dab on his nose and out of nowhere he just knda turned and bit the side of my thumb, kinda saying "hey that's it I've had it for one day". It didn't hurt, barely left a mark, but it was surprising. I was like OMG the lil booger just bit me, my son asked if I was holding him to tightly and I said no I was barely holding him at all, he was mostly just sitting in my cupped hand with my thumb over his back so he didn't bolt if he got spooked.

gixxer3420

Ive been bitten several times by leopard geckos. None of the bites really hurt that bad some were worse than others. Ive had a few times were my fingers bled pretty bad.

LeopardGeckoNinja

Yeah. Sometimes geckos can confuse items for food. Mine do it all the time. I think the only reason im in danger is because of my male, when he's around my female he's aggressive, and runs at everything that moves. However when he's on his own he's my calmest gecko.

prettyinpink

Meh you don't have multiple choice. When Amirah bites me it HURTS...and she's tiny! Fae bit me three times and just freaked me out but didn't hurt, and she held on.

It's just a real sharp pain, like a paper cut...Amirah doesn't hurt too bad but I don't like it. I'd say if you ever been bit by a hamster or a sugar glider, they hurt way worse...although I could've not been biten very hard.

Bbugs

Animal Addict
I put a mealie in my palm and my juvenile missed and bit my hand. She kept jerking her head and wiggling around lol

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I remember seeing a post where a member put up a pic of her lip that was bloody and torn open from her gecko not appreciating her attempt at affection so I'm sure some of those can be pretty bad depending on whether or not the leo is like just back off or dude Im gonna kill you.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Depending on the nature of the bite. If its a male picking up the scent of another male, then he will bite down with full force and will not let go.

x.shell.x

Depending on the nature of the bite. If its a male picking up the scent of another male, then he will bite down with full force and will not let go.

I wonder how many unfortunate breeders/ owners of alot of leos have been a little careless or absent minded and paid the price. Now that im thinking about it though i read about a member on here that had some real sad pictures on here of her gecko after a run in that had to take some force. Crazy i never once feared to handle the geckos the corn snake on the other hand for the first bit i was real weary when handling.

prettyinpink

I remember seeing a post where a member put up a pic of her lip that was bloody and torn open from her gecko not appreciating her attempt at affection so I'm sure some of those can be pretty bad depending on whether or not the leo is like just back off or dude Im gonna kill you.

I heard about how embarrassed she was about that...but never caught the thread.

Every time I've been biten there was a reason for it. Amirah hates people :main_rolleyes: but I adore her. Fae, my baby doll mistaken me for a worm and bit down...Rose only hissed at me once, while I was switching her tank around...ALMOST got me everytime I hand feed her.

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
bites

my question is have you ever been bitten by a leopard gecko ? If so was it as painful as i now imagine it would be ?

YES, Yes, and Yes.
Most bites you hear about are not
Strong Jawed Adults.
Adult, 126 gram, big boy Conan
bit and shook his head to kill the prey.....
which he happened to think my thumb was.
HURT, bled, thought it never would stop bleeding.
I have Tongs everywhere since.
Others have posted bad bite photos on here.
Take care. HJ

judagrmn

I got bit for the first time tonight. I was putting a mealworm in my Leo's dish and I wanted him to see that I was doing so. He ran over real quick and jumped onto my finger! Didn't even give me a chance to drop the worm and he was latched on! Scared me. Gonna get some tongs from now on I don't want him to turn on me again. There is history of him biting previous owners children but they were too young to be handling him in the first place and probably squeezed him. I have only had him about a month.

Seany-p

Our blazing blizzard banshee's terrible for biting when she's hungry, she's lightning quick and bites down HARD, she's never failed to draw blood. Once eaten though is incredibly nice/calm!

smsararas2

I had one miss a worm and grab my finger, she wasn't being aggressive she thought I was a nice snack. It didn't hurt but it was a shock....i think for both of us.LOL.

Jenn_tigercat

Purple Freak :)
thankfully mine have been baby bites lol. Phantom has quite an attitude and will take a bite out of me whenever he can. Also does the whole screaming thing in hopes that mom will put him down.

LZRDGRL

I've been bitten a few times, but only twice "badly"; once in the palm of my hand, and once in a finger, and it broke the skin and drew lots of blood and hurt for days. The first one was my fault: I had put a male with a female, and they were starting to mate. The male was a bit too rough--in my opinion--so I tried to "save" the female, but she didn't want to be saved!! She was indignified that I tried to separate them, and took a good grab of my palm, not letting loose anymore. I finally had to resort to pouring a bit of cold water over her, because shaking didn't get her off, and I didn't want her to lose her tail by pulling at her. She must have been really mad at me :main_rolleyes::eek:

The second time I took photos of a male I was going to sell, and he didn't want his photo taken. He let the photo procedure go over, and when I put him gently back into his cage, he gave me quick bite for revenge! (I still sold that bad boy.)

All the others were just attempted hatchling/juvie bites, or Engima-I-thought-you're-food-bites, and I was always able to shake them off, and they weren't strong enough to draw blood.

I guess every pet owner runs the risk of being bitten, nibbled at, picked at, hacked at, licked at, peed at, scratched at... be it out of fear, unwillingness, play, or whatever. I don't think it's viciousness. If we intrude into their world, we have to play along and bear some scars.

Chrissy

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
The first one was my fault: I had put a male with a female, and they were starting to mate. The male was a bit too rough--in my opinion--so I tried to "save" the female, but she didn't want to be saved!! Chrissy

Hahaha! I'm sorry but I just laughed out loud...:p

You know, the majority of my leos are adult males, BIG males. I have been bitten 3 times so far, and all 3 times, the leo never let go (one even tried a death roll on me!). I personally think the bite itself is not scary, eventhough I bled like crazy; the not letting go part is. Last time I had to get my husband to pry open his jaw to retrieve my little finger. :main_no:

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
death hold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZRDGRL View Post
The first one was my fault: I had put a male with a female, and they were starting to mate. The male was a bit too rough--in my opinion--so I tried to "save" the female, but she didn't want to be saved!! Chrissy

Hahaha! I'm sorry but I just laughed out loud...:p

You know, the majority of my leos are adult males, BIG males. I have been bitten 3 times so far, and all 3 times, the leo never let go (one even tried a death roll on me!). I personally think the bite itself is not scary, eventhough I bled like crazy; the not letting go part is. Last time I had to get my husband to pry open his jaw to retrieve my little finger. :main_no:

I got my LOL too Bonnie....
from both of you.
Still think of your "lip" bite photo.
HJ TIP:
A couple quick bursts with a water spray
bottle unlocked 2 fighting males
in a death lock grip.
Keep one nearby for those bad bite times.
Take care. HJ

Last edited:

Visit our friends