Leopard Gecko and Eating

Jolenels

3 Year Member
Well I checked on her several times today, and she was as fiesty as ever! I didn't feed her tonight though, as my daughter was sick and by the time I remembered she was zonked in her bed and Dora's cage is in her room. But I'd imagine her appetite is the same as always as she tried to bite my finger on the last check! So all should be well, phew, thankfully flies are a rare occurance in my house! And she should slow down as she ages, so she shouldn't be that fast in awhile!

Jolenels

3 Year Member
and she's really fast lol I have only ever seen her miss one cricket. Usually they don't stand a chance, once her tail twitches they are goners. My three year old finds it hysterical....she sits there watching saying things like 'oooooooo cricket, your gonna be cricket toast! No one is faster then my Dora!'

Geckomaster743

Yeah i have a VERY small hatchling who is very interested in eatting. Like shes in like this Crazy carnage state. I have a male whos like that whos about 3 Years old as well. Hope dora's ok!

Jolenels

3 Year Member
Lol I don't know how old Dora is, but when that food hits her cage....ugh....it's a frenzy! She gets all excited and starts whipping her head around to look, and she knows exactly when it's coming since I remove her water, her log (the crickets hide in it) and her home to wake her.

When I got her my sister brought a whack load of crickets in a keeper, but it was too many, so I set them outside tonight to freeze to death, then I'm going to clean the keeper and get new ones....and alot less of them! But I knocked two dead ones in her tank and I was scooping them out and the spoon made them both move because I was pushing them....and she ate them both. Gross. And I totally thought she was focusing on another cricket both times! I'm hoping WAY less crickets will mean less dead ones, and less grossness. Plus, I'm hoping to get mealworms lol heres to praying they have them in!!!

Jolenels

3 Year Member
I only needed them to slow down so they didnt jump inside....and its meant to be -25C tonight with a chance of snow.....we dont have crickets in the winter :) I didnt notice a smell but the keeper is small and I got rid of them when I noticed dead bodies and a considerable amount of poop. Tonight the keeper is soaking in hot water so its odorless when I start all over again with less crickets!

Caleb C

Wow, nice. Mine usually start stinking by three days, haha. I hate how crickets cannibalize and seem to die for no apparent reason. I live in California, and I've never seen snow falling, only been up to mountains with snow ):

Star1

Wow snow already!!
Good luck with getting mealworms! I like them way better. I've only bought crickets once because my geckos weren't even interested in them. There was only 1 or 2 gone out of 10 and I had 3 geckos in the enclosure at that time so I haven't bothered with them since. You could order mealworms online too. I did that to get a breeding colony going so I don't have to buy as much food. I have 7 geckos and plan to breed so it would get really expensive. I also got some dubia roaches to breed but that will take a while to get going because I haven't even had them a week. I also give my geckos superworms and once in a while (maybe twice this whole year) they get a couple waxworms each. They aren't very healthy but I like to give them to them as a treat sometimes.

Caleb C

With only one gecko, your mealworms will last forever. Most places sell 1,000 at a time, and good thing you aren't breeding the mealworms, if you start with 1,000, you might end up with 10,000 by the end of the year.

Lauren O'Dell

What vitamin's and calcium am I suspose to dust the crickets/mealworms with? And how many times a week do i do this? I'm getting a leo next week, and I just want to gather information before getting him!

Caleb C

It's nutrients that they need to grow and thrive. Yes, you're supposed to dust the mealworms and crickets with it. How old is the leo you're getting? I'd say around 3 times a week, and change powders every week or so.

Caleb C

Juveniles should eat around 3-5 a day, they usually eat less this time of the year, since it's colder, so it's normal for them to eat less.
Do you have the tank and supplies set up yet? If so, what are you using/planning on using?

Lauren O'Dell

I have a 10 gallon tank, but I'll go bigger when he grows. I'm going to get the rest of the supplies that I need when I go get him from Petsmart

Caleb C

What city are you in? It depends on how much money you're willing to spend on the leo. They usually ship, but that will cost more. There are usually local breeders around 30 mins-1 hour from you, or there are also reptile shows.

Lauren O'Dell

I live in a small town in Michigan lol. Im looking online because im considering what youre telling me, but shipping a Gecko seems kinda sketchy. How does that work?

Visit our friends