Leopard Gecko and Eating

Caleb C

Shipping runs anywhere from $30-$50, they ship it overnight, so they don't die. They also pack it so that there's minimal moving around indisde, so they dont get thrown around much. Try googling online for breeders near you, Pet store geckos are usually neglected, and have a much higher chance of being unhealthy.

Jolenels

3 Year Member
Our gecko is from Petsmart lol. My sister got her so I had no say where she came from.

Here's another question. I have just been feeding Dora mealworms for quite some time now. I do it one at a time and I try to drop them around the tank so she has to 'look' for them. But I'm finding she's getting lazy. If I don't drop it right in front of her and nudge it towards her she just won't eat it. Occasionally the only way she eats is if I put it at the mouth of her hut so she doesn't have to leave it! Can geckos get food lazy? I put in a mealworm the other day, the fastest one yet (they aren't speedy but generally they only twitch and crawl slow) and she just watched it crawl away and waited for me to give her another!

Also, I can blatantly tell when a mealworm is dead. But I bought waxworms and I have no idea how to tell if they are alive or not. They don't move really, and they are already a darkish tan/brown colour. Though she didn't seem to care for the wax worms, she bites them in half then leaves half and they are shorter then the mealworms!

Caleb C

Yeah, i've heard of them getting lazy, but I usually let them see the mealworm, and once they start following, just keep moving the mealworm further away, until they're away from their hides, so they can walk around a little.

Jolenels

3 Year Member
Heres a question, Dora isn't that old. She's quite alot bigger but we have only had her for a few months so she is definitley under a year still.

I went to buy mealworms and they were out and the new shipment hadn't come in so I bought some crickets. Every other day to every third day she will bite the crickets...partially squish them often....then let them fall out of her mouth. Is it time to knock her feedings down to every other day? Or is she just playing with her food? Occasionally she saunters back to a dead one and scoops it up but mostly she just leaves cricket carnage behind and I have to pick them all out. Or is she just pissed she has to chase her food now lol

Visit our friends