Leopard Gecko Wobbles

BeesFreakyFriends

Hi all!

Have been trying to research on my own what this could be, but I genuinely can't seem to find any answers pertaining to what I'm dealing with, so thought I'd try here!

I've been keeping leos for about a year now - I've got 4 of the little guys, and they're the lights of my life. Two normal, a tremper albino and a tangerine het eclipse.

The problem child is the tangerine eclipse, Flare.
I bought Flare from a "breeder" in Kelowna, BC back in May-ish. Long story short: he was selling ALL of his leos, as he had been removed from his housing situation and wasn't able to take them with him. She was beautiful, so I jumped on it and immediately went to pick her up. He had told me she was a year to a year and a half old.

Now, the problems!

She is quite small for a gecko who is supposedly that old. I struggle to keep her up at 40g, and it doesn't seem like she gains any weight at all, even though she is eating more than even my giant boys. She is ALWAYS hungry. Her tail is a normal size, on the smaller end but still a healthy size, and hasn't gotten any bigger or smaller since picking her up. Granted I'm sure they can remain fairly small like that, so that's not really what worries me, it's just something I thought I'd point out before getting to my next problem:

She's pretty wobbly! He hadn't mentioned anything about this before I picked her up either.
And by wobbly I mean borderline looks like cerebral palsy wobbly. I tried looking into whether they can even get such a thing but wasn't able to find any answers. I skimmed through a few threads on here, and saw some people mention Enigma Syndrome a few times, which could be a possibility.

The wobbles get a little intense sometimes, it looks like she's trying to catch her balance on a boat deck. She'll whip her head up to look at my tongs and it'll send her on a little wobble for a moment before she balances out. She moves kind of like a Weeble Wobble (I hope someone else remembers what those are, lol). She also is SUPER aggressive about catching food. I've seen this lil gal jump half a foot across her tank just to get a mealworm. She lunges at them so aggressively that she is actually damaging her lil nose sometimes - it gets red and irritated and looks so sore, but I have no idea how to keep her from doing this other than tong feeding, which is also very aggressive and I don't want to hurt her with them by accident.
She's insane, a little firecracker, and I love her dearly so no matter what's going on obviously she's staying with me, I'm just so curious about what's going on with her, really.

She also laid her first clutch about 2 months ago and had 0 issues (not bred, just infertile eggies).

I can try to get videos of her wobbling or eating if need be if it helps at all. Have attached a picture of her from when I first got her, isn't she pretty?

If anybody has any info/ideas to share, please feel free! I'm just genuinely curious about my gal, and wondering if anybody has any ideas about it! None of it seems to affect her quality of life in any way, so more of just a way to maybe find some potential answers. Thank you!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 3

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
She really is gorgeous. It's possible that she's an enigma and it's enigma syndrome. I've also had other animals (all mammals) who had some kind of congenital cerebellar problem which led to unsteadiness. I guess that could be an issue but there's probably no way to diagnose it. You could try googling "cerebellar problems in geckos" (I have no idea if they even have a cerebellum). Enjoy her!

Aliza

BeesFreakyFriends

She really is gorgeous. It's possible that she's an enigma and it's enigma syndrome. I've also had other animals (all mammals) who had some kind of congenital cerebellar problem which led to unsteadiness. I guess that could be an issue but there's probably no way to diagnose it. You could try googling "cerebellar problems in geckos" (I have no idea if they even have a cerebellum). Enjoy her!

Aliza
It's completely possible one of her parents could have been enigma looking back, he didn't seem like the most reputable guy! I was told quite literally nothing about her other than her morph and age lmao, he was VERY foreign and didn't understand a lot of the questions I asked him. Thank you so much for your quick response!

Visit our friends