Looky what I found today while herping.

Timothy

Gecko Geek
Hey all, it rained here in missouri lastnight and figured I'd go herp for some salamanders today, my wife and I managed to come across three red back's and a few spotted salamanders, and this beautiful Western Slimy Salamander (Plethodon albagula). Decided to keep him. so here are some pics when I got him home.

SAM_1399.jpg

SAM_1400.jpg

SAM_1401.jpg

I also managed to spot a red eft while walking on my trail to my little salamander honey hole lol.

SAM_1402.jpg

SAM_1403.jpg

SAM_1404.jpg

Anyway, just wanted to share some photo's, I'm currently doing quarantine on this male Slimy Salamander, hopefully I'll be able to get him to thrive and set him up with my female :)

Timothy

Gecko Geek
Restricting laws as in? limitations on what species your able to keep in captivity? like wild caught specimens? or do they restrict Captive breed ones as well?

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Only five species are legal to keep here, at least as far as non-natives go:
Ambystoma mexicanum
Chioglossa lusitanica
Notophthalmus meridionalis
N. perstriatus
Salamandrina teridgitata

I haven't researched the laws on collecting native caudates, but I do know it is illegal to sell any native species, even if they are captive bred offspring from collected parents.

Stl_Greaser

Boy that bring back some memories! I used to catch Western Slimy Salamanders all over the hillsides of the neighborhood where I grew up, in Valley Park. They are sure some slimy fellas!

Timothy

Gecko Geek
yeah he's doing great so far, eating on pinheads, and small redworms. I'm surprised he's eating that well.

Krow

That is so cool!

Just wondering though, why did every one jump all over me when I found a reptile while herping & I wanted to keep it... :/

Visit our friends