Mealworms or Crickets?

• Mealworms

Votes: 343 78.0%
  • Crickets

Votes: 150 34.1%

• Total voters
C

cullens

my geckos will only take crickets and wont even move for mealies.

TokayKeeper

Evil Playsand User
Jenna4Herps said:
Here are some stats for the various live feeders for those who are interested:

%kcal

Silkworm
Fat 43
Calcium 0.5
Phosphorus 0.6
Protein 54

Mealworm
Fat 60
Calcium 0.1
Phosphorus 1.2
Protein 37

Waxworm
Fat 73
Calcium 0.1
Phosphorus 0.9
Protein 27

Butterworm
Fat 73
Calcium
Highest
Phosphorus 0.9
Protein 27

Cricket
Fat
Calcium 0.2
Phosphorus 2.6
Protein 50

Coupled with this knowledge, this is what I've been feeding my crickets, mealies, and superworms

- dry dog food fully re-hydrated
- butternut squash
- snow peas or snap peas, whichever is available
- green beans
- green bell pepper
- yellow squash
- blueberries*
- straw berries*
- raspberries*
- blackberries*
- carrots
- kiwi
- plum*
- pear*
- papaya*
- mango*
- cactus pad* (great for fiber and calcium)

* these items vary within the season and some aren't available so I use what is.

All these are cut to whatever I need in order to feed my insects. I place everything into a food processor and chop until similar to a lumpy baby food-like consistancy.

Couple all this with supplementation (herptivite and rep-cal) and one should have a fairly decently gutloaded and supplemented food source.

traffic

Firebirdgeckos.com
I have tried both for a staple diet and I have found that Crickets work better. For awhile now I have been only feeding crickets and I have noticed a big difference in the consistency of my feeding schedule using crickets. With meal worms I am always getting a mixed response from my geckos. Some eat more than others. I have found that with my animals they always eat when I feed crickets.

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
Food For Thought/ What to feed

I feel that Chris Newsom puts what's good for feeding geckos best by indicating the most important part of their food is what is in that food. Be it crickets, meal worms, or any other insect or bug that perks up our pets interest. An analysis of gecko food before and after gut loading can be a Big factor in your geckos health. Check out the contents of what you are putting in the gecko food, then decide what you are actually feeding your gecko.
And besides, part of my enjoyment in having geckos is not only seeing new life, but also watching their curiosity in new furniture and in their "hunt" for nourishment. When they nose food and pick and choose over the same type food item they know what's ripe and what's spoiled. Give them their best chance to be healthy.....gut load and supplement. Take Care.

L

Lennysmum

I have been told to avoid mealies as the outside is too hard and if not kiled properly while eating they can damage the gecko . So we are feeding crickets now and occassional waxworms .

ARgeckos

Crickets for me. All my geckos love crickets and just a few like meal worms. :main_thumbsup:

L

lucia

I can't vote because I can't chose both. I like to feed pedro mealies, but he gets so excited about crickets so I have to feed him a few crickets every week. Plus I figure that variety is probably good.

S

Stevie

Uuuhhhh, mealworms AND crickets (3 different species)!! And grasshoppers (L.migratoria AND S.gregaria), waxworms and pinky mice. During the summer almost everything that flies in my room is sentenced to death by eating. It's the most variation I can create in the food I give to my animals....

Greets,

Stevie

P

PaintHorse

I us only mealies, crickets are a pain to catch and actually get into the tank.
My leos love them, and always get excited over them, but then again mine are spoiled and get handfed. But then again i only have 3, so i can do that haha.

But the skinny ones also get Marcia's slurry (which is amazing!)

M

mscully

my gecko is a baby and will only eat mealies when I feed them to him with tweasers but lately he hasn't liked them and only eats crickets

ReptileMan27

Mealies are the way to go.. The best choice I ever made for my leos was to move them to mealies. Crickets are such a pain in the ***

Chiefmcfuz

Crickets because I was told that meal worms could eat the gecko from the inside out by a few people in the trade so far. Can't find any truth to this so I don't know.

I also feed waxworms, 2 every few days.

bitterbeauty

Animal Lover
I love mealworms. I am trying to breed them now. I HATE CRICKETS.

Downfall of Crickets.

1. They stink
2. They make noise
3. They poo alot
4. Take up more room to keep than mealies
5. They can escape!!!!

And omg I cant believe there are still people who believe mealworms can eat their way out of gecko's tummies. How lame. IT IS NOT TRUE!!!

goReptiles

Chiefmcfuz said:
Crickets because I was told that meal worms could eat the gecko from the inside out by a few people in the trade so far. Can't find any truth to this so I don't know.

There's absolutely no truth to this whatsoever...

I prefer mealworms but crickets cut feeding time. Grabbing a few and dusting versus digging through the bedding.

W

wings2fly

I use to feed mostly crickets, but they were to stinky. So we swiched to Dubia Roaches and meal worms. A lot less stink!!!

Digby Rigby

Silkworms, roaches, isopods

Silkworms, roaches and isopods among others are far superior to crickets and mealworms. Mealworms and crickets suck. The fact that animals live and breed on them is a testament to the animals ability to make do, not in the feeders inherent worth.

Silkworms bought in bulk or as eggs are very economical. Roaches are inargueably superior to mealworms and crickets in every way. Easier to care for also.

Leopard geckos by their nature are opportunistic feeders in the wild. There is something wrong with husbandry or the way they are kept if animals for the most part will only eat one or two items.

Isopods are very high in calcium.

Digby Rigby [email protected]

C

ChristopherD

Bologna

I have been told to avoid mealies as the outside is too hard and if not kiled properly while eating they can damage the gecko . So we are feeding crickets now and occassional waxworms .

supers are proly more chitenous than mealies i breed both "Depends on samples for ?"take a moultted one and a shell carior prior to shed one

Visit our friends