My favorite Christmas present!!!

geckoboy16

Someone my mom knew gave me these two (1.1) five year old beardies and i am very excited! They are the first "non gecko" ive had. Heres some pictures i took today!

HPIM0715-1.jpg

HPIM0743.jpg

HPIM0746.jpg

(her favorite spot)

HPIM0744.jpg
(sorry for the bad pic)

Thanks for looking! :D

Last edited:

mmsi1002

Future home-EubMac Geckos
Welcome to the beardie world. My beardie was my 1st reptile & he is awesome. They really should be seperated though, regardless of sex.

T&KBrouse

K, the Crazy Snake Lady
That rocks! Congrats on your new additions!:main_thumbsup:
Beardies have such incredible personalities. You'll be totally hooked in no time!

K

L

LadyGecko

What a wonderful gift!!

Have fun with them
:D

I would separate them if they are m/f or you are going to have a LOT of eggs to deal with down the road
They should be fine together if they are 2 females and have been together for a long time

Good Luck with them

rubym

Even F/F beardies really should be seperated. They can live together in peace for along time then suddenly one day fight. I had a friend that had 2 females together for several years and one day the larger one lost a foot due to fighting. In nature they are solitary animals and only come together to breed. They are quite beautiful though. Congrats on the great Christmas gift. I have had my girl for 8 months now and she is the love of my life.....along with all my gecko babies. Again Congrats!!!!

Baker14

BAK3rr
I know you are new to beardies, but there are a few things you need to change.
1. Like rubym said, regardless of sex, they will still show aggression suddenly after the long years they can spend together.
2. That tank looks VERY small for one, let alone two beardies. Each beardie should have a minimum of like a 40 gallon breeder, but more room it better. I have my 9 month old male in a 96 gallon custom aquarium.
3. You NEED to take the sand out. By the looks of the color of the sand(blue) i would say that is calci sand? If so, it can and will cause impaction, or a blockage in the intestines. THis will lead to fatal consequenses and alot of money spent on vet bills. feeding each beardie seperatly so you know how much they both eat.
Other than that, that is a great christmas present!

H

Houdini

The best substrate (in my oppinion) is Exo-Terra Desert sand. Like this

Baker14

BAK3rr
That is absolutely the worst substrate. Sand is a particle substrate and can be ingested, leading to impaction, or a blockage of the intestines. This will then lead to the ebardie/any reptile being lethargic and dieing. The only truly safe substrates are tile, paper towel, shelf liner, and repti-carpet. I highly recommend you get rid of that desert sand, or any particle substrate(bark, wood chips, aspen, calci sand, walnut shells). Not only can sand cause impaction, but it is impossible to thouroly clean. You may be able to clean all the hard part of the poop, but all the liquid seeps through the sand to the bottom causing an unhealthy enviornment and health risks. It will harbor bacteria, mold, and parasites. I suggest doing more research and switch off particle substrate immmediatly before any more damage is done. It doesnt matter how long you have used it, the sand builds up over time and will lead to impaction.Exo-terra is in it for the money, not the health of the reptile. They put false advertising on their sand bags saying "its digestible", but it is obviously not true. if you need evidense of sand caused impaction.

Baker14

BAK3rr
I suggest that you switch to something else immediatley. Right now, switch to paper towels, then when you get carpet, switch to it. Also, that tank looks very small.

Baker14

BAK3rr
I forgot, especially for two beardies. They need "atleast" 40 gallon breeders each. And I don t recommend keeping them together. You never know when a fight could break out. What sex are they? WHat are you measuring temps with?
The UVB light should be a little closer down to them than that. HOw many inches away from their basking branch is it?

johnnyboy4783

I Need Geckos Anonymous!!
i know everyone is against the sand and all but sand is one of the beardies natural habitat so why do you all stress over it so much. they look large enough to be kept on sand its not like the are babies or juveniles.
a
Also baker you need to lighten up a little bit on people it seems like you go on the attack alot. turn it down a notch.

Visit our friends