New AFT Owner, could use some help :)

Jason Boyd

Fecal sounds fine; the white is urates. My planted vivs with eco earth are their own eco-system. I never change out the eco earth. The little bugs in the soil (I bought isopods) eat the poop and fertilize the plants. Everyone is healthy and happy.

Aliza

Isopods like woodlice/pillbugs? Does your gecko ever eat them? Also, where did you buy them?

I won't be using live plants, but the idea of a substrate cleaning bug is intriguing

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I got the isopods at a reptile show but they're available online. The ones I got look like pill bugs (and are probably the same as the ones from outside) but are orange and white (2 separate colonies). I don't think the geckos eat them and they have been successfully reproducing (the bugs, I mean) for at least 2 years. There are also some tiny little bugs, springtails, that seem to show up on their own. I rarely see feces in some of my tanks because of these cleaners.

Aliza

Jason Boyd

Just wondering, but how long after a shed should an AFT start eating regularly again? It's been about 4 days and I think he/she has only eaten 1 cricket. I have been putting in crickets at night and counting them in the morning and pulling them out so they can gut load again.

I put a mealworm in front of him/her this evening and he/she striked at it a few times but didn't take it into it's mouth, it eventually just turned around and walked away. It did the same thing last night with a cricket, but it also raised its tail and it looked like it shook it (?).

FYI: I will be changing out substrate this weekend

Kylerbassman

That doesn't sound abnormal. Sometimes my Leo's will go up to a week before eating again after a shed. They eat there she'd and it is quite a big meal for them. I wouldn't recommend leaving the crickets in over night. Place them in there for like 15 min to a half hour and take out the remaining crickets. They can stress your gecko out and even bite him, which can cause complications like infections. I hand/tong feed supers mostly, but your guy maybe too small for that yet. Glad to hear your changing out your substrate.

As far as supplements, I would recommend Repashy calcium plus. It's an all in one that you just dust every feeder. It makes it a lot easier and I have seen a huge improvement with sheds and general disposition. I was actually having she'd problems using the exact supplements you are using.

Shaking tale is a sign of excitement (can mean scared, can mean excited about food) but its nothing to worry about.

You should try other feeders. You could use small mealies for now and when he gets big enough start him on some supers. He may be picky. My Leo's don't even really like crickets anymore, but it's because they have become accustomed to supers. Just an idea that may entice him to eat something

Good luck

Kylerbassman

It may take a few days to a week, but of he's of good health, when he gets hungry enough, he will eat. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to ask

Jason Boyd

Thanks :) I will be sure to take some photos when everything is changed over.

I was just leaving them in because I assumed he would hunt at night while I was asleep. But I don't want to stress him out any more than he already is and will not leave them in for so long. They are small ones though, do those still bite?

Can that Repashy supplement be found in local stores? or is it an order online type of product? Also is it calcium with D3?

Kylerbassman

It does have d3 in it. You won't need any other supplement if you use it. You won't need to supply any extra calcium, just dust every feeder. It depends where you live and if you have stores that carry reptile supplies. I get mine on amazon.

Also a good tip on size of feeders, feeders should be no bigger in girth then the size between a Leo's eyes. If they are too small, your Leo may loose interest. You may need to move up to the next size crickets, but you will have to be the judge of that since I can't see how big your gecko is.

Good luck

Jason Boyd

I found an online store based here in Canada that I can get it from for a decent price.

The crickets I have are from the local large chain pet store and they only have two sizes, small and large, or about 2 weeks old and 4 weeks old. I got a few of the smalls, and they vary from size from just slightly smaller than the space between it's eyes to just slightly bigger. Does that feeding guideline pertain to mealworms as well? because all of the worms I have seen are longer than that space.

Kylerbassman

It's the girth that you need to be worried about not length lol ;) I still would feed mealies. You can try smaller supers also. I feed 2-3 supers 3 times a week and both my Leo's are very good weight, almost pushing too big. My female is quite a glutton. Do you have an idea of approximate age? Can you post pics so we can see size and condition? It would give me more input to tell you what size feeders are safe. If its really young, your going to have to stay with smaller feeders.

Visit our friends