New Leachies (no pics)

goReptiles

I'm so excited.... I can't hold it in!!!!!

First off, I'm in love with my new Brazilian red foot tortoise, but I have purchased not one but two leachies...

Sadly, I can't have them shipped until the weather is cooler, but I can wait as long as that means I get healthy happy geckos.

I'm hoping for a male and female or two females, but I'll be fine with two males. I'll just have to make sure to have plenty of caging space...

One is 2 months old and an Isle E x Nuu Ana cross. I've named this one Motley. He/She actually had a name before I knew 100% I was buying it. It was incubated at 75F, which is a little higher, so I'm thinking male, but it's still in-between temps and could go either way.

The other is 4 months old and a full Nuu Ana with wild caught parents from Phillips line. This one (I'm hoping is a girl) doesn't have a name yet, as I wasn't really planning on buying two and didn't give myself time to back out, which I'm glad I didn't. I'm super thrilled.

Both are captive bred, but the parents of the second one are wild caught. I'm so happy with the purchase. The mom of the second gecko is super nice with big pink spots and a nice lime background. Both geckos have faint pink spotting as of now, but I know the colors will change and vary, as they are quite young.

Anyway, just though I would share my excitement. I just with that I could have posted pictures with the thread... :-( I have the pics from the breeders, and I keep staring and oogling over them, but I want to wait to show you guys pictures I've taken, especially as the pics I've seen of gecko one aren't the best.

goReptiles

The name just hit me... Since I'm hoping for a girl, the name will be Leenah, or some spelling variation of that. I don't know if it means anything, but it just popped in my head, just like 'Motley' popped in my head, and that's the end of that one. Ha

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
I know how tough it is to wait, since I waited months for my new one. It's tough. I would think you should be able to sex them when you get them, the pores should either be there or not by now. Steve sexed my male at ytwo weeks. Any idea when they will ship?

goReptiles

Cool. I will look when they come in. I'm hoping for a male and a female or two females. If the mixed local is a male, and the other is a female, I may get a pure Isle E female to breed with him, since I'd already have the Nuu Ana. I really only wanted a pet... Now, I'm obsessed, and I don't even have them yet. If I don't breed I don't care because they'll be great pets to have, and they'll be in great care.

I'm not sure yet. Whenever the weather is in the 80s. Neither seller wants to ship until then because they're younger, and want to make sure they make it ok. It will be at least a month or two because in Georgia right now, I'm lucky to get a day in the low 90s, but even at 95, it feels like at least 110 because of the humidity.

goReptiles

I will definitely post them. I'm so excited. Motley and Leenah make me smile just picturing the sellers' pictures they had posted.

I read online where they can be sexed at 6 months. By the time it cools, Leenah will be about 6 months, and Motley 4 months. I'm hoping I'll be able to sex them or get good enough pictures so someone else can help sex them. I'm stoked!

I was really hoping to get them in teeny tiny, but they'll still be small when I get them, just not as small as they are now.

Northstar Herp

I wonder if they are talking about the hemipenal bulge at 6 months... Pores should be visible before that.

I got my female when she was about 6 months, and she was 15g I think, so they should be plenty small for ya, especially if they are Nuu anas.

Where is the seller shipping from?

goReptiles

I think they were referencing the pores. I saw many threads on pangea where they were saying the gecko at 6 months wasn't 100% ready to be sexed. I may get a few good shots, and see if Steve wouldn't mind sexing.

Yea, Nuu Ana is one of the smaller leachies, but Motley's parents are 185 (sire) and 175g (dame), which I'm good with that. Maybe one day, I'd like larger, but that's a good size for me right now.

One is from California, and I'm not sure the other.

Motley may get shipped Monday for Tuesday arrival, but the other seller still wants the temps lower. Monday we have a high of 91 and Tuesday's high is 93.

goReptiles

I wouldn't mind an Isle of Pine, an Isle C (Bayonnaise), or Isle K (Caanawa). I want to start larger but still small.

goReptiles

Pictures of Leenah. The seller has taken some pictures for me as an update. She said that I could use them an share :)

DSC_0506.jpg

DSC_0512.jpg

DSC_0505.jpg

Northstar Herp

I just visibly sexed my new one that was temp sexed male and Steve gave me a 99% sure male visibly. I used a 20x loupe with an led light that cost $6, and am totally positive he's a male.

If you see the pores, it's a male. Mine is a month old today and 4g. I think the folks saying 6 months old must talking about with the naked eye.

goReptiles

Ive seen threads where some females have pores. Where some males have 4 rows and females 3. Is this locale specific? I cant remember what locale that thread was about.

Northstar Herp

It is my understanding that females do not have pores, but they can have false pores... :) I guess which one it is would become more apparent the bigger the leachie is.

I would

*ask the breeder for incubation temp, that might help give you a clue.

*check them with a loupe when you get them, they should be old enough by the time you get them.

I can see four rows of pores on my male, and none on my female. So I'm 100% sure I have a female, and 95% or so that I have a male too :))

Northstar Herp

You might wanna get the rhac book by Vosjoli, Fast and Rapashy. They talk about sexing them on pages 176-177. The book's been out for a few years, so it may not be entirely up to date, but it has good info in it.

goReptiles

I am trying to find the thread that I saw with the 3 rows vs 4 rows. I have the book on the way, though.

I have been told that females can have up to 3 rows of pores... Males will always have at least 4 rows.

The first gecko was incubated at 75, and the second was unknown (as the seller purchased the gecko from Phillipe and she did not actually hatch it herself).

Visit our friends