new leopard gecko owner

annie

Hi guys, I just brought home my first leopard gecko. She’s a 7 month old female. I’m unsure of her morph (if anyone knows let me know:D).
9A933D48-8F0C-4716-A419-C4A4BEAFABB2.jpeg
Still in the beginning stages of her set up. I just brought her home tonight and I’m going to pick up more stuff tomorrow. Right now she’s in a 15 gallon tank with paper towels for bedding and a ceramic heat lamp on one side. I do have a 22g tank I’m planning to move her up to.
If anyone has any supply recommendations let me know as well:)
50B80F12-7609-46D6-88CF-3238B9DBD141.jpeg 5B98C2F7-DA19-499F-92FE-A578B2220BD3.jpeg

Aside from her I also have a little colony of snails and a 2 year old axolotl.
0B8A5DDA-C307-4417-86E1-0963951B9C01.jpeg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome and congrats on your gecko. You could call her a super hypo (no body spots), aberrant (broken bands on the body but not on the tail), carrot tail (good amount of orange on the tail).
When you upgrade her to the bigger enclosure, consider using an under tank heater with thermostat as opposed to the ceramic heat lamp.

Aliza

annie

Welcome and congrats on your gecko. You could call her a super hypo (no body spots), aberrant (broken bands on the body but not on the tail), carrot tail (good amount of orange on the tail).
When you upgrade her to the bigger enclosure, consider using an under tank heater with thermostat as opposed to the ceramic heat lamp.

Aliza
Thank you so much, this is very helpful. She did come with a zoo med heating pad but I was hesitant to use it because I've heard mixed things about them. Would it be better to use than the CHE? I am picking up a thermostat when I go out to get her dubia roaches this morning.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I've been using the ZooMed heat mats for over 15 years and they've generally been fine. My preference is for the ZooMed heat cable because it can be installed, removed and re-installed if necessary. The thermostat is important. Try the mat instead of the CHE which tends to dry the air out.

Aliza

Visit our friends