newbie ?'s

J

jenn75

I'm going to look at a 3 yo female leo tonight to possibly adopt (she will be my first leo). Her current owner said she dropped her tail about a year ago... do I need to worry about that for any reason (health-wise or personality-wise)?

Since she is an established adult, will she be more likely to tolerate handling by us (as opposed to a young leo)? Her current owner said she likes to be handled by them.

Would a week being left alone to adjust to her new tank be sufficient before I try any regular handling?

Anything I should be asking the current owner when I meet them or things I need to look for on the leo?

MichaelJ

CelebrityGeckos.Com
Congratulations on your first leo! As an older gecko, she should be calmer than a juvenile. You'll be able to see her personality when you meet her tonight. Although she has a regenerated tail, it should be sufficiently "fat" and healthy. You'll want to ask the owner when she had her last fecal exam. Also ask about her diet and supplementation, and frequency of each.

Once you get her home, I would keep handling at a minimum for the first week as she gets accustomed to her new environment. Go ahead and try feeding her the first night. Be sure to use slow, fluid movements when feeding, handling, cleaning the enclosure, etc. This will help your new leo feel safe and comfortable.

Do you have everything you need for her new enclosure?
Congratulations again!

J

jenn75

Yes, I have her new tank all set up with the necessities (UTH, rheostat, thermometer, 3 hides, water/food/calcium bowls and a piece of driftwood. The current owner said she will give me some extra hides and bowls that she's used. I've seen a pic and her tail looked nice and plump. Keeping my fingers crossed that this transition will be smooth for her.

GrimmyX15

Mkay-um?
Congratulations on your first leo! As an older gecko, she should be calmer than a juvenile. You'll be able to see her personality when you meet her tonight. Although she has a regenerated tail, it should be sufficiently "fat" and healthy. You'll want to ask the owner when she had her last fecal exam. Also ask about her diet and supplementation, and frequency of each.

Once you get her home, I would keep handling at a minimum for the first week as she gets accustomed to her new environment. Go ahead and try feeding her the first night. Be sure to use slow, fluid movements when feeding, handling, cleaning the enclosure, etc. This will help your new leo feel safe and comfortable.

Do you have everything you need for her new enclosure?
Congratulations again!
:main_thumbsup:

J

jenn75

Well I picked her up last night, but after a 2-hour trip to get her, found out she had just been fed a pinkie the night before. Needless to say the car trip home caused her to regurge! She's doing alright though, checked out her new hides, took a drink and curled up in her warm hide for a nap. I caught her waking up just after 1 a.m. and she came out and explored some more.

She is an absolute sweetheart! Very easy to handle, real mellow and just gorgeous! I will post pics soon. I'm very glad I got her instead of a young leo. She is about 3 yrs old and was very well cared for.

My boyfriend named her Iggy. lol

Visit our friends