Not sure I'm doing this right.....but....

Kathryntheclean

Ok, so obviously I'm new and have no idea what I'm doing...... but I need some assistance. Hello all, I've had plenty of (well, 3) chinese water dragons. But never a leopard gecko. He's a baby, or maybe she's a baby. Anyway, I'm trying to find out if I'm overfeeding or what. He's constantly acting starved, and has eaten about 10 crickets a day (5 morning, 5 night) . His tail is just , and I mean just starting to fill out, as he was underfed at the store. So, if I can get a pic to load, is he or she ok? Say hello to Moon......

Attachments

• 20190314_112858.jpg
    20190314_112858.jpg
    765.1 KB · Views: 8

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome Kathryn! Judging by the picture you posted above he doesn't look very underweight - or overweight! It looks like you're doing a fine job. I try to feed as much as they'll eat in a few minute's time and use that as a baseline going forward. I also tend to feed once a day. Are you offering a multivitamin or at least calcium like herptivite? https://www.amazon.com/dp/HERPTIVITE/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Nice looking Mack Snow gecko. I agree, feed it whatever it will eat. You're probably OK to feed every other day, though if it seems hungry every day, go with that. When the appetite slows down, you can go every 2 or 3 days. I'm now feeding my adults 2 times a week and it's working fine.

Aliza

Kathryntheclean

Welcome Kathryn! Judging by the picture you posted above he doesn't look very underweight - or overweight! It looks like you're doing a fine job. I try to feed as much as they'll eat in a few minute's time and use that as a baseline going forward. I also tend to feed once a day. Are you offering a multivitamin or at least calcium like herptivite? https://www.amazon.com/dp/HERPTIVITE/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Yes, I use a powdered calcium/vitamin supplement.... he licks at it so I'm assuming he likes and needs it.... repti-cal maybe...... it's in the other room and I'm lazy at the moment!

Kathryntheclean

Nice looking Mack Snow gecko. I agree, feed it whatever it will eat. You're probably OK to feed every other day, though if it seems hungry every day, go with that. When the appetite slows down, you can go every 2 or 3 days. I'm now feeding my adults 2 times a week and it's working fine.

Aliza
Thank you!!! That helps so much, knowing about how many crickets my sweetie should get!

Visit our friends