Not Sure It's a Fat Bubble

J

joelski

I have a 15 yr. old Leo who I've loved since I was a youngin. She has what looks like an air bubble right behind her front leg. I've been researching the fat bubbles and this doesn't fit the description since it is only beind one leg. Perhaps a calcium deposit? It's also gotten progressively bigger the past few days despite cutting off calcium intake. Although her belly is full and healthy looking, her tail is now noticeably skinny. I have zero time (or dinero) for a vet visit. Any suggestions???

reps4life

It means your leo is overweight. Feed less and/or lower fat food like crickets.

Last edited:

reps4life

calcium sacks are inside the roof of their mouths. under their armpits it's fatty deposits.

reps4life

It's like a small framed person with high cholesterol. Due to high fat diet and genetic predisposition. My friend is a reptile vet so I assure you I would not give you false information. The healthiest and lowest fat food is crickets and silkworms. Most leo's are overfed.

geckogirl3

THIS GECKO IS LAYING EGGS AND HASN'T ATE IN A MONTH!!!!!!!!! NOT A FAT POUCH!!!!!!!!!
someone else said their vet said calcium sack, and my aunt who is a vet says so to

snared99

Luxurious Leopards
I have actually had leos tested, these pouches, and they came back as protein deposits. No calcium what so ever was seen by the lab.

reps4life

You see it's not calcium:). He did state it in the proper term (protein). It's excess protein which can eventually cause kidney failure, dehydration, gout, xanthomatosis, ect

Last edited:

Quantumhigh

Geckos of Oz
I have always clearly understood these to be calcium deposit which are totally normal. I would not change feeding routines at all. Females will at times stop eating during egg laying but will pig out shortly afterwards. The calcium pockets are used during hard times in the wild or during breeding times to replenish calcium lost to egg production or lack of balanced diet in wild.

Pinky81

I have always clearly understood these to be calcium deposit which are totally normal. I would not change feeding routines at all. Females will at times stop eating during egg laying but will pig out shortly afterwards. The calcium pockets are used during hard times in the wild or during breeding times to replenish calcium lost to egg production or lack of balanced diet in wild.

My Bonnie developed these after laying this year pretty much after her post laying pig out! So what you write above make PERFECT sense! But here is what I don't understand...these pockets look like they are filled with air..not liquid..and certainly not white calcium. The nurse in me wishes I could stick a needle in that pocket and draw out what is in it and take a closer look!!

BUT I WON'T!!!!!! I wish there was more difinitive information on how to tell the difference if its fat pockets or calcium pockets!

Im starting to come to the conclussion that it may actually contain BOTH. Because it is very true that these appeared right after the post egg laying food binge...and now Im looking forward to seeing what happens this winter when she begins to mate and develop eggs...will they disappear?

I have NOT changed my feeding patterns nor have I taken away her calcium! I guess I see it as if she needs it she will lick it up..well then if she doesn't need it she won't lick it up.

animeavatar

I <3 Mu Mu!!
You see it's not calcium:). He did state it in the proper term (protein). It's excess protein which can eventually cause kidney failure, dehydration, gout, xanthomatosis and fatty liver disease.

Really??? Should I worry if my gecko has protein pockets???:(

reps4life

The plain calcium in the tank is fine. What you have to be careful with is fat content and hypervitaminosis. As an adult multivitamins once a week is enough. Variety is the key. Crickets have the lowest fat content and should me their main food source. I would not feed superworms due to the nutritional value. Superworms have twice the fat as crickets and are harder to digest. Crickets are also good for exercise. As we know reptiles are not very active and need some type of exercise.

reps4life

The safest way is a UVB light and once a week dusting with vitD. This will let them metabolize it properly. Very controversial topic but I believe in prevention and the natural way. It is said even tho most hide from the light, some UVB penetrates thru their hides. As long as they are provided with dark places to hide it is beneficial.

Quantumhigh

Geckos of Oz
Sorry but I have to strongly disagree UVB lighting does nothing beneficial for leopard geckos. They metabolize D3 into calcium without any need of UVB lights unlike diurnal reptiles which come out during the daylight hours. Direct lights will only add unneeded stress to your gecko which is a nocturnal animal.

Nothing more needs to be said in this thread. Consider your sources of information carefully whenever reading anything about animal care on the internet. There is a lot of misinformation give by people who really have no clue what so ever.

Visit our friends