Question about tank cleaning . .

Latlaw

The tanks are getting stinky. When I cleaned Henry's last time, I used this stuff called Repti 1 by ZooMed and you spray it, wait 5 minutes, then wipe out. Well, then I let the tank air a bit and put everything back in. He hated it!! I think he could smell it and kept trying to climb the walls. I'd really like to use something I could rinse out with water.

Also, how do clean the tank with a UTH attached? Do you take it off each time? How can I rinse with water with that on?

MichaelJ

CelebrityGeckos.Com
You shouldn't have to disconnect the UTH and spray the tank down with water, etc. It's a big mess and lots of work.

The best thing to use is chlorhexidine solution. You can buy a gallon online or through a veterinarian supply company. Inexpensive and lasts forever, completely safe for your leo, and cleans the tank well because it's antimicrobial. You'll dilute and put in a spray bottle. You can use it to spray the tank then wipe dry. Same for the furniture inside the tank.

LizMarie

I personally like to clean out my tanks in the tub especially when coconut fiber and calcium is all over the place, it just makes me feel better. I just unplug the UTH, carry the tank to the tub place it on its side with the UTH NOT facing the water and put the cord in the hamper so it doesn't get wet then take my chlorhexidine mixture and rub it in with a cloth then rinse it out and dry it. I only do that once a month though, lol.

Latlaw

I personally like to clean out my tanks in the tub especially when coconut fiber and calcium is all over the place, it just makes me feel better. I just unplug the UTH, carry the tank to the tub place it on its side with the UTH NOT facing the water and put the cord in the hamper so it doesn't get wet then take my chlorhexidine mixture and rub it in with a cloth then rinse it out and dry it. I only do that once a month though, lol.

Good idea also. I like the idea of actually rinsing it out with water to get any residuals left behind. I don't like the idea of chemicals . . even if necessary.

LizMarie

P.S My gecko does the climbing thing as well after each cleaning.. I think in part because they feel that their environment has changed, you've wi[ed away smells, etc.

LizMarie

Good idea also. I like the idea of actually rinsing it out with water to get any residuals left behind. I don't like the idea of chemicals . . even if necessary.

I feel the same even though chlorhexidine doesn't have a smell and you can't feel a residue but I like the thought of the germs going down the drank, lol. Plus I get to get the glass night in clean since lately ppl have felt the need to kiss my tanks or put their greasy fingers on them.

Latlaw

P.S My gecko does the climbing thing as well after each cleaning.. I think in part because they feel that their environment has changed, you've wi[ed away smells, etc.

Thanks for letting me know this! I freaked out the after I cleaned Henry's tank and then when I put him back in, he seemed frantic. He started trying to climb the walls. I was afraid I was making him sick with the fumes! Poor boy. lol!

Visit our friends