Repashy calcium powder (read this if you doubt it)

bman123

Here's a bit of a rave but kind of a comparison of my experience using the repashy and repcal calcium powders.

The rep cal is cheap like $3 a bottle, it doesn't stick to feeders really well, it doesn't smell real good, it's not designed strictly for leopard geckos, you have to leave it in the tank all the time so your prone to having bowls tip over and wasting powder. My leo seemed to not like it when it was on a feeder.

The repashy was $7 a bottle, it sticks to feeders like glue, I have 2 crickets I dusted 13 hours ago that look the same way they did when I first dusted them, it smells great like a mix of flowers. It's made by a forum member here for leopard geckos, it's not some multi herp use it's made for our leos, you don't have to leave it in the tank at all times, just dust every feeding. My Leo seems to really like the taste of it.

If you are reading this wondering what calcium powder to get buy the repashy, it is by far superior to rep cal in every way I've seen.
I at first thought hey this (repcal) is $3 and this (repashy) is $7. calcium powder is calcium powder right? Boy was I wrong, the repashy is alot better.

Here's a big thing I like about it. You don't need to keep it in the tank all the time like you do with the other powders. Sure a bottle of repashy costs over twice as much but I can't even tell you how many times my Leo knocked over the calcium dish when it was in his tank. If you use a milk jug lid or pop cap it's gonna get knocked over eventually. The repashy keeps you from wasting powder.

It's well worth the $7 I would honestly have no trouble paying $10 for it because it works and works the best. You have to dust your feeders anyways right so dust your feeders with repashy since it actually sticks to feeders, and it was made for leopard geckos.

sammer021486

Here's a bit of a rave but kind of a comparison of my experience using the repashy and repcal calcium powders.

The rep cal is cheap like $3 a bottle, it doesn't stick to feeders really well, it doesn't smell real good, it's not designed strictly for leopard geckos, you have to leave it in the tank all the time so your prone to having bowls tip over and wasting powder. My leo seemed to not like it when it was on a feeder.

The repashy was $7 a bottle, it sticks to feeders like glue, I have 2 crickets I dusted 13 hours ago that look the same way they did when I first dusted them, it smells great like a mix of flowers. It's made by a forum member here for leopard geckos, it's not some multi herp use it's made for our leos, you don't have to leave it in the tank at all times, just dust every feeding. My Leo seems to really like the taste of it.

If you are reading this wondering what calcium powder to get buy the repashy, it is by far superior to rep cal in every way I've seen.
I at first thought hey this (repcal) is $3 and this (repashy) is $7. calcium powder is calcium powder right? Boy was I wrong, the repashy is alot better.

Here's a big thing I like about it. You don't need to keep it in the tank all the time like you do with the other powders. Sure a bottle of repashy costs over twice as much but I can't even tell you how many times my Leo knocked over the calcium dish when it was in his tank. If you use a milk jug lid or pop cap it's gonna get knocked over eventually. The repashy keeps you from wasting powder.

It's well worth the $7 I would honestly have no trouble paying $10 for it because it works and works the best. You have to dust your feeders anyways right so dust your feeders with repashy since it actually sticks to feeders, and it was made for leopard geckos.

Sorry to pick certain parts out of your post, but I would like to correct you on the fact that it is not just made for leopard geckos. TREX markets the bottles as being made for crested geckos, or bearded dragons, or leopard geckos. But all of the bottles carry the same supplement in them.

Allen makes two supplements, one for veggie eating reptiles and one for insect eating reptiles.

Here is a post right from Allen's mouth (or hand since it is a posting)

http://www.forums.repashy.com/diets-live-foods-supplements/17342-calcium-plus-designed-bearded-dragons.html

bman123

Good job picking at my post lol, my store carries the repashy for leos and repashy for beardies. I meant by saying made for leos as it has the Leo infront of the bottle. I don't buy the t Rex branded stuff the bottle I have says repashy right on it with the Leo on it also.

bman123

I don't know how to word this but I will try. I think the repashy stuff is geared more towards leos due to the amount of d3 in it and other ingredients when compared to the rep cal stuff

bman123

Either way it's by far the best calcium powder for leos, I just want newcomers to the site to see if the search repashy that it's the best stuff. It's leaps and bounds better then rep cal powder. I wish I would of bought the repashy to start with but I didn't know any better, when I joined the site I was told to use either calcium powder with or without d3 was fine.

I'd rather see people spend the $7 on repashy then to basically waste $3-$4 on the rep cal stuff. The repashy actually sticks to the feeders lol..

sammer021486

Either way it's by far the best calcium powder for leos, I just want newcomers to the site to see if the search repashy that it's the best stuff. It's leaps and bounds better then rep cal powder. I wish I would of bought the repashy to start with but I didn't know any better, when I joined the site I was told to use either calcium powder with or without d3 was fine.

I'd rather see people spend the $7 on repashy then to basically waste $3-$4 on the rep cal stuff. The repashy actually sticks to the feeders lol..

I was not trying to cut you or your post down, was just trying to point out that Allen formulated the Calcium Plus ICB to be used with any insect eating reptile.

I have been using the stuff since June 09 and love it. My egg laying females have not dropped weight this year like last year and I think that it is directly related to the Ca+ supplement

bman123

Sometimes I don't word things the easiest or best way lol.
I meant if you compare the ingredients of the repashy to the rep cal it seems like the repashy is more suited for leos then the rep cal stuff is plus it smells better and sticks to the feeders alot better.
I remember trying to get the rep cal to stick to crickets before and it wasn't easy to do even with the shake and bake method. I like the repashy more too because I don't need to leave a calcium dish in the tank at all times..

bman123

I honestly feel the repashy is by far the superb calcium powder on the market, sure it costs twice as much but I won't buy any other kind of calcium powder, the repashy is worth every penny.

bman123

I have heard the same thing that you just said about the weight loss, he's got a great product. I just hope if anyone searches and finds this thread that they will see that it does cost more but it's so much better.

When I went to the petstore I was told the powders are all the same and to just buy the cheapest one so I bought the rep cal. After coming on here and doing extensive research and reading reviews I found out the truth, so many people recommend the repashy and for good reason it's the best stuff you can get, I have 3 different chain stores in my area and they all carry a bunch of different powder, they all carry the repashy too.

I did see the repashy with the beardie on it, it was right next to the repashy with the Leo on it that I bought. I figured that the formula was different as the animals are alot different..

Chevalrose

I dunno, it seems that it's actually cheaper since with Rep-Cal you need three different supplements (Ca, Ca+D3, and herpivite). With this one it covers all three.

bman123

Yeah when you look at it like that, I was just saying I'd you compare it as calcium powder alone. The repashy is the total package lol. If you don't have any of it go get some..

TFerguson

First of all, I think Repashy ICB is a great product, but I've seen you say many times, that you don't need to use a calcium dish if you use it. I disagree with that. I think it's up to the keeper to decide whether or not to keep calcium in a dish (personally I do). There's nothing magical in Repashy ICB that specifically precludes you from using a calcium dish.

It's calcium content is not much different than most calcium powders, or calcium +Vitamins powders.

T Ferguson

bman123

It's all up to the keeper if you keep a bowl of it in the tank or not, but I won't unless I see that I need too. I think with dusting every feeding that the Leo will get enough of what it needs.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
This is what Allen Repashy had to say on the matter over at his forum:

Allen Repashy said:
Too much calcium, even without too much D-3, becomes a binder for essential vitamins and nutrients. Vitamin A in particular. The calcium blocks the absorbtion of these vitamins. In many geckos, especially leopards, the vitamin A problem can be seen with too much calcium in the materialization of eye deformities.. one big eye or small eye... Too much calcium can nearly completely block the absorbtion of vitamin A, which has visible effects..... there could also be other non visible effects from it blocking vitamin A and other vitamins, like reduced hatch rates (which are also seen with too much calcium)

If you look at calcium powder, you can picture the "Got Milk" commercial. It is a powder that will absorb moisture out of the body, and if it coats the lining in the stomach with crust, the animal can't absorb anything. It also neutralizes digestive acids....

Have you ever heard of Tums? Look at the ingredients.. it is nearly pure calcium carbonate. A 500 mg (half a gram)tablet is strong enough to eliminate acid indegestion in a 150 pound human! so what do you think that eating a bowl of calcium that size (you said your gecko ate similar amount) will do? Lets say you have a 30 gram gecko eating a half a gram of calcium, or the same amount as a tums tablet.... hmmm So that means the gecko is eating about 1.5% its body weight in calcium.... So if you weigh 150 pounds, what do you think would happen if you ate 2.25 pounds of calcium in a sitting? LOL Do you think you would absorb your dinner? or even have room to eat it?
Most prescription drugs warn that if you eat calcium or other antacids that your body might not absorb the drug properly.... or anything for that matter.. .....

Any questions?

Allen

I use Calcium Plus at every feeding with no additional supplementation as it was designed to be used.

CallDr

I dunno, it seems that it's actually cheaper since with Rep-Cal you need three different supplements (Ca, Ca+D3, and herpivite). With this one it covers all three.

+1:main_thumbsup: and no need for another dish;)

It's my understanding that Allen got input form some very experienced people and worked out the formula with what we use now.

Like bman...... I wish I had started with it also and not bought 3 when I could have had one to keep the Leo healthy.

I said this before. One of the selling points to me was the ingredients also helps keep your herp with it's best color. That part of "healthy" sold me;)

bman123

Thankyou Tony c and calldr for chiming in about not using a bowl of calcium in the tank. I knew i wasn't the only person on this forum doing it this way. Tony c thanks for that quote you posted. I seriously looked for that and couldn't find it, I was gonna post that up so it could be seen.

Visit our friends