Rescued Tokay Assorted Questions

erkinde

I recently rescued a Tokay gecko aprx. 3 y/o, about 14 cm snout to vent. I believe he was being kept in subpar conditions, but my information is limited. At three should he be fully grown? He seems a smidge on the small side, but again, not knowing what care he's received he could be a bit stunted.

He has a thin tail, but overall body condition seems fair. He just shed yesterday and had no problems. Do Tokay store fat in their tails, and/or is the thin tail indicative of any health concerns? His tail also appears to be "crinkled", which I suspect may be a symptom of MBD? Other than dusting his crickets, I'm not sure there's much to be done about that because he's already adult size.

He's eating well, so far just crickets. I know there's a stigma of over-feeding these guys, but would pinkies be good for him to plump him up or should I just stick to crickets? (Assuming my assumption of thin tail=underweight is correct)

This is my first Tokay (an impromptu addition to my collection of Panthers and Cresties. ;) ) And I'm curious as to what morph he is. My impression is either Hypo or Granite, but I haven't found any definitive "morph dictionaries" on the Tokays, so opinions are appreciated! He's not in the slightest hand tame, so I haven't bothered him yet to see if he fires up to a different color. But he stays pretty consistent between day/night. Tekel1.jpg

Tekel2.jpg

Tekel3.jpg

stringmouse

He will get bigger, Tokays are one of the largest geckos. So there is still some growing for him to do. He looks like he does have a goofy tail. I would continue dusting his crickets. Pinkies are fine as an occasional treat, but I would stick with crickets for now, until he gets comfortable. He actually looks like the stressed color of a normal blue/orange tokay. They are super climbers, and will rarely get down on the substrate. Make sure you have a vertical set up for him (I'm working on converting mine right now) and plenty of vertical hides and cover foliage.
They don't need lights since they're nocturnal and mine hates any kind of light at night, so I would try to keep it nice and dark at night.
Good luck!

erkinde

Thanks for the response! He's in a 29gal with lots of vines and a driftwood log. The picture of him on the ground is when I first got him. He's since taken to climbing just fine. I'm keeping humidity around 70, and the temp gradient is 90-70. And the heat lamp goes off at night.
He eats about 50 crickets a week.

From what I've seen he's in a pretty decent set up, but hasn't lightened up at all. I've had him coming up on a month now.

Visit our friends