Security software/downloads that are worth the $

M

misanthorpe

Seeking recommendations for internet security software (for windows) that is actually worth the money. Purchased software or downloads that take care of viruses and spyware etc and don't become obsolete in short time.

Thanks bunches.

N

NewportGeckos

AdAware and Spybot are must haves. Being free is a big plus too. Next on my "freebie must have list" is AVG anti-virus. I do not know if they are still offering a free version, but its a great program. It auto updates all the time and really works! Running all three makes me fairly confident my computer is doing OK ("Clean" simply isn't possible). Each of these programs find different things, so don't skimp out!

M

misanthorpe

Thank you everyone for sharing your favorite options.
So, what is AVG, and where can it be had?

M

misanthorpe

I got the AdAware downloaded just fine. But, I could not get the SpyBot. It reached 67% 13min 40sec and just stayed there for several minutes making no progress. So, I canceled and closed. I'll try again tomorrow.

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
I use AdAware and Norton. They seem to do the trick. I'll have to check out the Spybot one though.

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
I use Symantic Anti Virus, Microsofts Anti Spyware (Forget what it's called), and Norton Utilities for Defragmenting, Windows check, etc

I notice a lot that my computer seems to have things running in the background, and it slows my pc down a lot. Would any of these other programs help fix this?

C

Cryptly

Yes. Ad Aware and Spybot would replace the Micro$oft spyware. Ad Aware doesn't have anything running in the background. Spybot does, but you can turn that option off.

I'm not familiar with the Norton Utilities, but for checking windows and cleaning registry I use CCleaner. It doesn't run in the background and does a good job of cleaning up Windows.

M

misanthorpe

Cryptly is the CCleaner a download or separately purchased software?

First thing I do when I get a new laptop or desk top is strip it of everything that is not needed. It takes awhile but worth it.

I load AVG(they also have a paid version for servers and what not) and then load adware.

I rarely have AVG delete the virus if I get it. I load it on a disk first. Then I delete it off the system and then take it to a PC I have set up where I break the virus down. Do you know how many versions of one virus is out there. I have well ver 300 different virus on the one PC. Now that is just the main names but if you take them and look at versions of the viruses I have well over 15K. I found a very common virus called blood hound. Some or fake others are not. But I have 400 different versions of this. I have also found nortons calls many viruses it does not have a definition for BLOODHOUND..........

Once you break these things down you understand them a bit more.

But many of these things people download on their PC like "spy-bot" has spyware in it too!!!! Funny how that works. And it also eats resource.

Windows XP(any version) comes with to much crap on it lol.

G

GeckoNinja

i use norton, but i'll run spybot and ad aware probably every other week but rarely find things, but there deffinately the software that would

Select Gex

Norton is icky! When viruses are made, they are made to not be found by antivirus programs, usually Norton is easiest to get around.. and because it is the most commonly used, it's the most sought after to hide from. I reccomend NOD32 or KAV for antivirus programs, then your regular adware removal programs from tracking cookies and such. Remember though, adware removal isnt ALL you need, you need anti virus. Also, a good firewall will do you well. One of the most important things you can do is to update windows regularly to prevent security holes, as much as possible that is.

robin

when i had a compaq years ago i found that nortons was not compatable well it was until you tried to uninstall it... i swear then it acted like a virus or something. weird.
another couple of proframs which are good but you have to pay for are:
Ace Utilities
and
Spyware Doctor

The NY Gecko

Don't Get So Carried Away
I have Avast, spybot, and adaware. all are good. i had symantec but it is now gone. i also have zonealarm pro. careful qith zonealarm though, its a great program and it blocks all the bad stuff, but itll block some of the other stuff you want.

Herpcam

Don't forget the Internet Browser - and a list of programs I use

I only use Mozilla Firefox nowadays. It's a free download and generally considered more secure than Microsoft Internet Explorer if for no other reason than less people seem to target it than IE.

I just found this link for Trustworthy and Un-trustworthy Spyware Removal Tools

Everyone else's posts pretty much covered the AntiSpyware issue, but here's my list for what it's worth. Other programs I consider necessary and have on my computers -

Spyware Removal
Spybot S&D - free download
Etrust Pest Patrol - free from my 'employer'
AdAware - Don't use too much anymore since I have Pest Patrol, but still a good program and priced right (free)

Antivirus
AVG - free (or Norton, since it came preloaded on my new laptop and I get free updates through work)

Web Anonymizer
Tor - Just started playing with this one, but it's free and pretty well thought of; slows surfing down a little bit, but not too bad on a cable modem

Image Editing/Viewing
IrfanView - Very capable free image, video, and audio viewing/listening and editing program

Office Program
Open Office - I have been following this one's progress for a few years since it was StarOffice and it's looking great. Free MS Office-compatibility.

Email Program
Thunderbird - Free Outlook alternative from the group that brings us Mozilla. This one has great Spam filtering

Encryption
TrueCrypt - FREE file encryption program that can hide files inside of hidden files

Steganos Security Suite SE - Pay encryption, file deletion, secure email, and more. The regular non-SE version includes an anti-spyware program that is less than capable compared to free programs mentioned elsewhere and above in this thread

Mapping/imagery Software
Google Earth - I'm sure everyone's already seen this one - it's just a dang cool program, and FREEEEEEE

I guess those aren't all 'security' programs, but after I got started, I couldn't stop. I hope that helps someone.

Visit our friends