Security software/downloads that are worth the $

Ian S.

I've used norton anti virus now, for about 4 years with no problems at all. I contracted 1 virus and easily removed it with the help of norton. The only problem I have with Norton Symantic is that It is an absolute resource hog. (bad for gaming) For anti spyware I use adaware, Spybot S&D, microsoft anti spyware,& microsoft defender. (new) Folks you can never have enough spyware programs for the fact that they all find different things. Be witty about your configurations and first time scans because they can all conflict with eachother, thinking that one another is spyware etc. etc.

Last edited:
N

nora

i use Zone Alarm for my firewall.. and have used it religiously since it was made available.. and never had a problem with it..

for an AV prog I use AVG at the moment. i have used Panda Anti-virus and would recommend it, but it's really suggested for those who have superfast puters because panda does suck up alot of memory and lag the hell out of the pc.

mal/ad/spyware progs i'll run

-ad aware
-hijack this : for browser issues
-window washer 5 : for cleaning out the cache/temp files/junk left behind)
-CWS Shredder : if i ever get CoolWebSearch associated progs stuck to my browser

N

nora

BlackICE Defender/Firewall is another great firewall prog to use.... i ususally recommend zone alarm or black ice to people who run XP for their OS and tell them to turn off XP's firewall.. the xp firewall dont even work when there are new security issues surfacing, and most of the time i got zone alarm catching things.

R

rrhill

Whoever posted the AVG link ... THANK YOU! I finally got rid of the damn WinAntiVirusPro2006 crap that kept poping up on my computer and telling me I need to download their software (apparently so I could get THIER crap off my cmputer). I have Mcafee & Norton they just gave me a file name that for some reason I still couldn't delete. It has been bugging me for almost a week. Well that bad boy is history now!

The NY Gecko

Don't Get So Carried Away
I ahve a fix all, well for the most part, you still need an anti virus and spyware and all that, but this thing will speed up the computer and your internet.

TuneUp Utilities 2006, site can be found through google.

on my computer i have

Adaware-spyware
Spybot-more spyware
CCleaner
avast!-anti virus
tuneup utilities for registry cleaning and things of that nature
zonealarm pro for firewall and an added spyware scan option
for defrag i use Vopt XP

this keeps my machine clean, yes clean, not ok, but clean ;-)

Visit our friends