So Sad, what a way to start the new year

maverickgrl79

So i got a new foster in this evening... young Leopard Gecko put in a box left at my front door( its 34 degrees here!) gave it some electrolytes gonna take it to the vet in the morning. not holding alot of hope for this one. foster.jpg

maverickgrl79

so took the baby to the vet, of course MBD not sure if some is birth defects or not, it can not eat solid foods due to not being able to close its mouth or open it wide enough. but he seems to like the bug shakes i have been making. lol he has vent scales so he is a he and older than i thought. really stunted. gonna do my best to perk him up see if he can get strong enough to move around if not i will have him put to sleep. i have no problem making him bug shakes and hand feeding him the rest of his life but if he can not move around i am not sure it would be much of a life.

Geckomaster743

Wow thats really sad... I hope the best for the little guy, Try to increase calcium intake because im sure he will love the dust, And will he have to be on a Liquid diet? You can always crush up Mealworms,Waxworms,Water and Some calcium power with some Vitamins and then Syringe feed it. I hope the best for him. Really sorry :/ I'm proud of you though for doing Foster work! Not every one takes the time to look after reptiles. Good to know they are in good hands :)

maverickgrl79

Wow thats really sad... I hope the best for the little guy, Try to increase calcium intake because im sure he will love the dust, And will he have to be on a Liquid diet? You can always crush up Mealworms,Waxworms,Water and Some calcium power with some Vitamins and then Syringe feed it. I hope the best for him. Really sorry :/ I'm proud of you though for doing Foster work! Not every one takes the time to look after reptiles. Good to know they are in good hands :)
yeah Liquid for now i we call it his bug shakes lol its calcium and vitamins blended with mealworms crickets waxworms and pedialite (its an electrolyte water for babies) we use a syringe now but he is getting stronger and seems to be lapping it up more like a dog with his tongue, either way i am dedicated to do this everyday for him for as long as he has the will to go on. he is really sweet.

Geckomaster743

Thats great to hear! I didn't know I could use Pedialite, The last time I heard of that was 7 Years ago when my sister was sick. It was always fun to drink lolololololol...Is there a Specific link on the internet where you buy it from? For electrolyes I put Repti - Safe in my geckos water, 2 Drops filters out all the Chlorine,Flourine,Bacteria and it adds Vitamins and Electrolytes, I would like to add more if it but 2 Drops is the max per 8 ounces because the Chemical removes Contaminants. Too much could be harmful. But yeah sounds like you got your blend down. Mealworms and Crickets should be the most in the Mix, Waxworms should be right behind those two so he's willing to drink, and finnaly the Vitamins and Calcium. You could put a small pile of dust in his cage and i'm sure you'll catch him licking it up on day 1 or day 2 that is if he wants to move.

maverickgrl79

Update; Lost our little fighter yesterday. he had a little sore on his mouth and he could not fight the infection. all i can say is i tried and i know i did all that was possible. i am still heart broken

jenna

My first that was :eek: then :( then :mad:..........People can be so ignorant. To bad they didnt try to find the little guy a home sooner.. :(

Amanda1

3 Year Member
At least you tried, and he spent his final days in a caring home. Heartbreak is a part of rescue work, unfortunately, but it's still more than worth it for the ones that are saved.

maverickgrl79

thanks guys, the sting is getting better and the show must go on, as of right now i have 5 foster Leo's 2 foster bearded dragons, a foster Russian tortoise ( that i think will be staying here lol) not to mention our permanent pets lol

Visit our friends