Speak English

Wizardlizards

Fozzy Bear
M_surinamensis said:
It's not hardline antagonistic hateful rhetoric discrimination against an opressed people... and it's absolutely not a reasonable and unbiased position being taken by a business for reasons of business.

Agreed, but I still believe it is his shop and he is entitled to run it the way he wants to. As far as what would be the difference between the steak shop and a country club denying service to minorities, the steak shop welcomes all races, creeds, and colors as long as they speak English. I don't see a comparison at all.;)

CoolGeckos

Deaf Herper
I think people may misunderstood what I meant.... There is people out there who not willing to serve... I don't mean you should learn sign lanuage and just say should have more respect.... Last few post was disrespectful and if my Deaf friend had read and should say something worst than me.... A lot deaf people hate "handicap" term and please don't use this term.

Yes, I do bring paper and penicl... Still There is some place that refused to try understand your order or not willing to read what you writes too... TTY don't work that well... If I use TTY service... I will have to call 1 to 3 time to get them to answer but they hang up many time on TTY or relay service...A lot people will resfuse to relay service because slow... There is other way little quicker is Video relay but problem is connection and your webcam- too dark or too bright. IT is something you didn't experienced yet... You will be shocked how a lot of resaurts or business places will try to refuse to understand or put you on last on the list... I seen that happen... Still nothing is equal... I am trying make point that you may should respect in somehow... Not be all tense up or be ebrassed of your comuster just because Deaf or hanicap even forgineers.... I meet many deaf forgieneer--- Different than ASL but we figure out what they meant... Techongoly doesn't always works right.... I prefer talk about this topic on one to one--- easier for me to get what you are trying to say....

I can live this through my life... Just wish people at resaurts or places won't try to avoid deaf people or refused to give best service for sometime... Then change mind etc etc... AIM or yahoo or any insant messagers are like my phone even. I have free service on my cell phone AKA Sidekick... Works way better than TTY or Relay services... Problems with that is that not every one got it so I am able to text or send emails--- Best commucation can be made between hearing and deaf than using TTY services. Also it is the reason I don't like to post on forum--- basing on poor english and people actucally makes fun of it in past... Just try understand that last few post some of you made is little insult... I know this issue with philly steak but I am saying there is many other than that still do that... So this issues didn't surprise me... I am immigrant from Australia too... And I am partial native american too... Yes I do think people should learn english but not just "speak" like writing or mime can help order but people will look you like you are weird... If I meets any hearing people who learns or knows ASL... I feels really good because there is someone who willing to surpport or help to commucate better through people... I.E. If I go vendering the show then the manger or commite should hire some interpers but I am easy on that because I always able to find some one who volllunters for free. Even trade some reptiles with interpers who like or works with reptiles. That may won't happen for long time. If just show up to buy then I will bring paper and penicl but there is some people who is embrassed... I know a lot of my firends who works with reptiles are willing to talk with me with no problem liken Rose or Kelli or Justyn... Just some expmales.

I am easy person than most of my Deaf friends when comes to services or need for interpers...

P.S. Austin, Texas is one of best city for deaf people to live in! Almost at least one people at store or any places know sign lanuage... Better services for us too and more respects to us too... There is city who is really harash or not willing to listen usally rurals or big cities but there is some places that is really good with deaf people. We always figure how to get round or try to proof that "sterotype" is wrong.
I goes to public school with iterpers--- you will be surpised how not equal education within deaf people when go to school and often we have to fight a lot to get equal dioplima or education as you (hearing) would get... I know there is law to help but they will try to change some information and try get you into their hook to save money... I had to fought a lot to get into AP classes and other classes that you would be able to go into without fight... Our education system is pretty drity just that people don't thought of it or notice it.

robin

very well made point preston. also a question for you... is sign language universal or just part of it like the non alphabet signs?

CoolGeckos

Deaf Herper
It is not universal lanuage... Like english and Spanish... Countries have own sign lanuage and it is different than ours but have influences from other sign lanuage just as english have some influences from latin or spanish or french. I had studie few differnt sign lanuages and other spoken lanuage too... My skill in spainish is getting weak now. Of course, wrting lol

The NY Gecko

Don't Get So Carried Away
Ok listen, there are good points made on both sides. But the arguements been made, if I cant understand wtf your saying, how do I serve you? I'm not going to spend an hour trying to serve some immigrant who refuses to learn the common language of our nation when I could serve 50 in that time frame, its not worth it. As far as being discrimatory, he said "english only" thats not discriminating against any races in particular or languages. Its everyone that doesnt speak english. If theres 10 spanish speaking people I cant understand asking for help, or 20 english speaking customers, who do I help?

CoolGeckos

Deaf Herper
I understand about spoke lanuage... Well, one way can be discrimitinating is refusing to serve deaf people who knows how to write english or speak ( not happening to Deaf people a lot)... That happens a lot and if allow that idea spread more that can lead to more diaster to our soctiey for serving... I.E. You go to Eastern Middle where they hates american... But you learn their lanuage, right? And they refused to service you because you are an american even you are able to speak or write... That is exactly how Deaf people feels about this... I was told that few people who cannot speak english clearly even they are raised in english spoken family? Refused to service because of unclear? Plus if they turn away a lot it will hurt enocmy than you thinks.

I understand this topic is about forgineers who comes in our country and I don't like those who came in illegally. Here what I am trying stating... Not every one should learn how to "speak english" also write but for deaf people then teach ASL and english which is more diffcult... Differnt grammarical....

I understand why people sterotype sign language as just an body gestaure... Believe it or not it is our frist lanugage devloped in history... Very remote in Amzon Jungles still use sign lanuage even they hears. In fact sign lanuage is an language that proves for people who is Deaf to have better commucation.

I suggest people to rethink this idea "speak english" again. Just my idea, one way for hearing to learn how to speak and for deaf the differnt way; ASL and English which more work than hearing. Nothing is 100% equal... World sucks! Just have move on and live with it.

Gregg M

Registered Member
Discriminative???

I dont think so.... The fact is, if you want to live here, you should learn the language just like our relatives that immigrated here back in the day did.... In order to get through Ellis island back then, you needed to speak enough english to get by....

Today, it seems we have to cater to people who are too lazy to learn the language of a Country they want to live in.... I think it is complete BS....

I say, if you can not order a sub in English, you better open up a "how to speak English" fast or you might not eat for a while....

CoolGeckos

Deaf Herper
Gregg

I don't think you got what I say

one way can be discrimitinating is refusing to serve deaf people who knows how to write english or speak

As I said you may feels like that if you was there!

You go to Eastern Middle where they hates american... But you learn their lanuage, right? And they refused to service you because you are an american even you are able to speak or write...

Best way is to just mix some way

Milwaukee Reptiles

Gecko Addict
Gregg M said:
I dont think so.... The fact is, if you want to live here, you should learn the language just like our relatives that immigrated here back in the day did.... In order to get through Ellis island back then, you needed to speak enough english to get by....

Exactly. Would you move to france and then sue people for not serving you in english? No, you'd learn to interact in french. Same goes for every other non-english speaking country. You wouldn't expect them to cater to the english speaking, so why should we cater to those that don't speak english?

If we're going to do that where does it stop? Are all freeway signs to be written in 27 different languages? Where's the line?

robin

Gregg M said:
Discriminative???

Today, it seems we have to cater to people who are too lazy to learn the language of a Country they want to live in.... I think it is complete BS....

I say, if you can not order a sub in English, you better open up a "how to speak English" fast or you might not eat for a while....
\
now gregg if you want to look at it like that why don't we speak native american or spanish.

Exactly. Would you move to france and then sue people for not serving you in english? No, you'd learn to interact in french. Same goes for every other non-english speaking country. You wouldn't expect them to cater to the english speaking, so why should we cater to those that don't speak english?

if you go to other countires you will realize that people from these countries are taught english as well as their native languages. why? to deal and speak with the english speaking people tourist whatever. sure they might not sue you but granted at least one person would know enough english to take your order. in most european countries it is very common for these people to speak four and five languages, and enough of others to get by in that particular country

CoolGeckos

Deaf Herper
I have other thing to say... You cannot stop Forgien Lanuage usage because there is law that protect and stopping serving other lanuage are discrimtation because it their culture back ground just as discritiaming your english lanuage as it is your culture.... Yes Deaf people have WAY different culture than hearing... There is law that protects this happen called SADA and I am sure there is some more some where... You will be surprised how many laws American Government have on Business protection even serivce. So I can sue the Philly because refused my lanuage as discrimitating their cultural background... Lanuage are still linked to cultures... Believe it or not a lot of tourstist countries learn english for us (Americans)... English is second lanuage to Deaf people... Don't think that way because Deaf Issues.

From Goverment site
denying employment opportunities to a person because of marriage to, or association with, an individual of a particular race, religion, national origin, or an individual with a disability. Title VII also prohibits discrimination because of participation in schools or places of worship associated with a particular racial, ethnic, or religious group.
Other one about lanuage
It is illegal to discriminate against an individual because of birthplace, ancestry, culture, or linguistic characteristics common to a specific ethnic group.
A rule requiring that employees speak only English on the job may violate Title VII unless an employer shows that the requirement is necessary for conducting business. If the employer believes such a rule is necessary, employees must be informed when English is required and the consequences for violating the rule.

Defition of discrimination from M-W Dictionary
1 a : the act of discriminating b : the process by which two stimuli differing in some aspect are responded to differently

Read Define and by not serving the different lanuages are still discrimination.. That something you have to deal. Whatever you like it or not!

Those people who sue can lead to closing down business even paying fine... SORRY! That philly have chance of going DOWN if no improvement made!

Gregg M

Registered Member
robin said:
now gregg if you want to look at it like that why don't we speak native american or spanish.
You have a point Robin.... Back then, some of the pilgrims did learn to communicate with the native Americans....
Unfortunately, back then the Brits also took over this land and almost totaly whipped out a beautiful race of people.... So English is now the spoken language of the land....
The real native people of this land got the crap end of the stick for sure, but that is a whole other thread for rants and raves....

All I know is that if I wanted to move to Italy or Spain, I would learn to speak Italian or Spanish....

Oh yeah, I have been meaning to ask you.....
Whos ass is that in your avatar???? LOL

CoolGeckos said:
Yes Deaf people have WAY different culture than hearing...
Preston, cool it with the deaf thing.... We are not talking about hearing impaired people, we are talking about people who are too lazy to learn the lanuage of the land and who are trying to make money out of it... There is no buisiness that will turn down service to a deaf person because deaf people still read and wright English..... Most can speak it clearly.... Deaf people can comminicate perfectly with hearing people....

Last edited:

robin

gregg that is russell's hynee

and gregg i think what preston is getting at is that sign language is too a language even though not a "spoken" one (verbally). most people do not go out of their way to learn it or want to try and understand someone who solely uses it. he is trying to show you how this could apply to the statement posted on the store. what if there was a sign on the window of that store that said "will not deal with people whom use sign language" ... or the sign as originally said "This Is AMERICA: WHEN ORDERING 'SPEAK ENGLISH" ... allot of people who are deaf do not speak per say rather they sign. i would assume by the sign in the window this could appply to those who only use sign language.

Last edited:

robin

Golden Gate Geckos said:
at-whay about-ay eaking-spay ig-Pay atin-Lay???
i-ay on't-day ow-knay? owever-hay, it-ay ould-way e-bay ery-vay unny-fay!! :main_laugh:

D

dakman

Hey, when i go someplace to eat or buy something and can't understand the person serving me I never go back, period. The whole illegal imigrant thing is taking a toll and dividing our beloved nation. I for one believe if they want to be here that bad they should learn our laungage which has always been english. This isn't about deaf people, completly different situation. I'm tired of seeing everything in two languages now everywhere you go or being broadcast in two languages. Jeesh, I work construction and many jobs have safety meetings they have to do in both languages, waste of my time. Then these none english speaking people dissappear when they here the word inspection. if you want to live here learn the laungage or go home, knowing two only makes you smarter, right.
BTW, During my 20 years of retail management i've dealt with hundreds of deaf people and 99% of the time they can cumminicate by writing, in english.

Last edited by a moderator:

Visit our friends