Speak English

N

nora

personally i think the deli owner was in the right.. if a person can't speak english.. how in hell are you suppose to know what they are ordering??

I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for people who cry about not being able to do certain things when they cant speak english... and it's nothing against you Preston or anyone else who has to use ASL..and to me ASL is english - plain simple english.... what it comes down to is freaking stupid illegals who come into this country expecting us to give them what they want when they want...

The NY Gecko

Don't Get So Carried Away
nora said:
personally i think the deli owner was in the right.. if a person can't speak english.. how in hell are you suppose to know what they are ordering??

I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for people who cry about not being able to do certain things when they cant speak english... and it's nothing against you Preston or anyone else who has to use ASL..and to me ASL is english - plain simple english.... what it comes down to is freaking stupid illegals who come into this country expecting us to give them what they want when they want...
like our tax dollars for them to get welfare? if it was my decision, well, all illegals? execution.

CoolGeckos

Deaf Herper
anyone else who has to use ASL..and to me ASL is english

Didn't you read my other post? It has DIFFERNT grammarical structure.... No uses of verbs or be verbs all in facial expression.... IN english: I will go to Super Market to get food... In ASL: Super Market I go buy food... See Different grammical structure...

what I am trying say... If they refuse serve deaf because they want to hear it verbally which can led this issue into... That the issue--- probally wont happen but if really do then can led... End of debate.

N

nora

CoolGeckos said:
Didn't you read my other post? It has DIFFERNT grammarical structure.... No uses of verbs or be verbs all in facial expression.... IN english: I will go to Super Market to get food... In ASL: Super Market I go buy food... See Different grammical structure...

what I am trying say... If they refuse serve deaf because they want to hear it verbally which can led this issue into... That the issue--- probally wont happen but if really do then can led... End of debate.

yes sir i did.. but from my own personal stand point.. i see it as plain english.. regardless of grammarical structure.. ok ASL is a little backwards in literal translation... but how often is ASL translated word for word?? Very rarely, because there are only so many gestures that can be used to mean different words/sentences/phrases.

my point is this... if you only understood engish... would you understand this?:
Hi, I would like a sandwich...

or would you understand this:
hola, querria un bocadillo or hiyas..I querria un sandwich

it's pretty much cut and dry issue.. it comes down to speaking and understanding english vs. not speaking and understanding it...

now to refuse service to someone purely because they have a physical impairment, THAT my dear is discrimination up the ying yang.

Milwaukee Reptiles

Gecko Addict
Execution might be a touch too far... Deny welfare and health benifits I'm all for however.

But in the case of Mexican Illegal Immigration, I think it's fun to look at Mexico's laws (Even though the source is a conservative website it's still reliable information):
http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=14632 said:
Mexico welcomes only foreigners who will be useful to Mexican society:

* Foreigners are admitted into Mexico "according to their possibilities of contributing to national progress." (Article 32)

* Immigration officials must "ensure" that "immigrants will be useful elements for the country and that they have the necessary funds for their sustenance" and for their dependents. (Article 34)

* Foreigners may be barred from the country if their presence upsets "the equilibrium of the national demographics," when foreigners are deemed detrimental to "economic or national interests," when they do not behave like good citizens in their own country, when they have broken Mexican laws, and when "they are not found to be physically or mentally healthy." (Article 37)

* Foreigners who fail to obey a deportation order are to be punished. (Article 117)

* Foreigners who are deported from Mexico and attempt to re-enter the country without authorization can be imprisoned for up to 10 years. (Article 118)

* Foreigners who violate the terms of their visa may be sentenced to up to six years in prison (Articles 119, 120 and 121). Foreigners who misrepresent the terms of their visa while in Mexico -- such as working with out a permit -- can also be imprisoned.

Under Mexican law, illegal immigration is a felony. The General Law on Population says,

* "A penalty of up to two years in prison and a fine of three hundred to five thousand pesos will be imposed on the foreigner who enters the country illegally." (Article 123)
* A Mexican who marries a foreigner with the sole objective of helping the foreigner live in the country is subject to up to five years in prison. (Article 127)

M

misanthorpe

Bupkiss!
I lived in Germany for over 2 and a half years. Within the first week I knew the words for ordering food and drink, for transportation venues, some common slang/idioms and phrases of common courtesy. I also was familiarized with aspects of culture. All signage was in German. I never expected the German people to speak to me in English--even though, yes, many could.

Secondly, I was born in the US, my parents were born here, my grandparents were born here, my great grandparents were born here.....you get my point. I am a "Native" American.

If one is referring to American "Indian" peoples, don't neglect the fact that they did not evolved from primate ancestors into humans in the Americas, they immigrated also. As an aside, there was in recent years, a discovery of 9,000 year old CAUCASIAN skeletons in the British Columbia area.

BTW, there were, in the very least HUNDREDS of American Indian languages. Also, a little study of American Indian history will tell you that the different Nations massacred, stole from, enslaved, pushed out and aggressively, sometimes brutally, competed with one another long before any "Europeans" arrived.

M

misanthorpe

CoolGeckos said:

I was reading an article the other day that said that ASL was more like Chinese written language than English spoken language. I would like to know more in depth about that but I need links and references on the topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
misanthorpe said:
I was reading an article the other day that said that ASL was more like Chinese written language than English spoken language. I would like to know more in depth about that but I need links and references on the topic.

I was thinking the sentence structure resembles the Japanese language.
English - I go to supermarket to buy food
ASL - Supermarket I go buy food
Japanese - I Supermarket food go buy
Chinese - I go to supermarket to buy food (same structure as english)

Wizardlizards

Fozzy Bear
Okay not to beat a dead horse here, but the point is if you are a recent immigrant fine. I don't expect you to know the language. But from my personal experience today at the hospital, there are countless RESIDENTS of the USA who REFUSE to speak english. In Philadelphia we have a lot of Puerto Rican people who choose not to learn english. They also do not teach their children english. The signage in the hospital was english and spanish everywhere. Not cantonese, not vietnamese, not german, dutch, portugeuse,italian,french,swahili,russian,polish,czech,albanian,mandarin,japanese,greek,farsi,arabic,hebrew,inuit or even pig latin. Spanish! My goodness. WHY oh why can't they learn english????? Because they don't have to. This country has begun to cater to spanish speaking people because we feel we have to. WE DON'T HAVE TO!!!! My Italian grandparents had to learn english, same with the germans and french. No one put up signs in the hospital or anywhere else in those languages. American identity and culture is in serious decay, and we will do nothing to stop it. All I want to know is why, why did the rules get changed? Why were countless imigrants for nearly 2 centuries expected to learn the language and the culture, and now we simply say, nah forget it, america is yours for the taking. I am honestly concerned that in the not too distant future a "balkanization" will take place in this country. That we will see areas of this great nation claimed by a culture that refuses to become american, and demands either autonomy or independence.

I for one do not wish for that to happen.....:eek:

N

nora

augh! i had this whole post typed up and i lost it cuz i hit the wrong button..

anywho.. everyone knows (or should know) that in order for animmigrant to become a US citizen, they must comprehend and speak english fluently, and are tested for it..if they pass the test then they're good to go, if not, then too bad, so sad... better learn english and pass the test before their visa is up or they face deportation..

immigration laws really dont apply to puerto ricans as PR is a US territory, as well as follow US Federal laws, like any other state in the country.. so puerto ricans can come and go as they please, as we can go in and out of puerto rico without a passport or visa..

now i dont have a problem with puerto ricans what so ever because some of my close friends are ricans, (as well as my niece is half puerto rican but her father is a deadbeat, but that's a different story..lol) and they all speak perfect english.. my problem is with the cubanos and mexicans who come into the country illegally and are getting away with it and cant speak a word of english.

besides the government isnt gonna do jack anytime soon about the illegal aliens because they're too immersed with what's going on in Iraq and Afghanistan... bunch of fargan iceholes.

btw tony.. i do like your avatar.. hahah

N

nora

CoolGeckos said:
For some people who confused but I wont say more... If you want to know more about ASL them PM me....

oh i forgot to mention that I'm dyslexic..so i understand ASL perfectly fine when it's translated to paper... lol :main_laugh:

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
Wiz - Thought you would like these, tried to email them to you, but you don't have your email address listed. I have more, but are not appropriate for this forum, PM me your email and I will send them to you :)

Last edited:
N

nora

funny how that sign for the resturant says what it says but the name of the resturant is casa d'ice.... which is spanish.

talk about irony.

S

StormGecko

This restaurant is actually quite close to where I am staying right now. They are famous for the political and often profanity-containing statements on thier marqee. Here is an exerpt taken from an article written in the local newspaper regarding the irony...

"Balsamico (owner) isn’t troubled by the irony of posting anti-Spanish language rhetoric on a restaurant whose name is partly in Italian. Casa d’Ice may not be an English-only name, he acknowledges, “but you don’t have to push anything to say it.”

Go here to see more... *Warning...As stated above, some signs contain profanity* One thing that amazes me is that this restaurant is located right beside a busy highway, yet they have been posting up "colorful" language for over a year that I have seen. http://www.casadice.com/outside_sign.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
N

nora

the name of the restaurant is in italian? Which part?? cuz i know that Casa also means house in spanish.. lol

anywho... someone has wayyyy too much time on their hands to be thinking up of these lil "sayings" and then go outside, pick out each letter, and tag em to the board....

Visit our friends